Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Aug 11, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #1,067 of 2,070
1. Am looking for a high-end or mid-fi DAP with FM analogue radio. R3 Pro seems to offer only a web radio app that needs an internet connection via WiFi. So, I am just wondering, if a similar free web radio app with links included for hundreds of stations can be downloaded from Google PlayStore? If it can be done, I could choose on any other DAP (Cayiin N3 Pro or HiBy R8) over R3 Pro for my next purchase. Could someone tell me if it can be done?

2. Also, on R3 Pro, could the web radio presets be skipped from station to station using side buttons without needing to use the touch screen?

3. Any other DAPs that offer a similar web radio app as R3 Pro does but with better internals?
I have Tune-in installed on my Android phone, and myTuner Free on my SR25 (AndroidOS-based). I believe they are both free app services. The Tune-in app is integrated with my alexa echos, google homes & android auto, so navigation is a doddle by voice commands. Have not used myTuner much yet to comment.

IMO, R3Pro has very poor user interface (non-existent) on it's web radio navigation. The Android apps are better at providing some navigation functions.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #1,068 of 2,070
There quite a few decent radio apps on android, the radio on the r3 is really just a bonus feature. Plus really they work best on a phone imo. The audio quality of them is behind streaming services. Of course just search 'radio apps' from GP.

BTW, N3 pro doesn't have any streaming capability and is non android. It's hook is having a tube mode.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #1,069 of 2,070
I use the R3pro with a mojo. Perfect fit and the sound works well for me although at some point I will test it with my magni to see if there are any differences. My headphones are mostly the aeon flow cb originals.
Can you pls give a detail review of R3pro/Mojo pairing. I've seen pics of R3pro with mojo even on Hiby website.what difference does it make sonically and how does it affect the r3pro battery? What's the battery life of mojo? I've never paired hence I literally know crap about it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #1,070 of 2,070
Hi All,
Received my R3 Pro and learning the features. Trying the R3 Pro as source with an external DAC using a iFi Nano, can get the audio to play, but the R3 Pro is still controlling the volume.

Have changed the USB setting to Dock and the R3 Pro is still controlling the volume.

How to choose USB mode on the R3/the R3 Pro?

There are three choices:
Storage: Act as USB flash disk -- you can copy or delete files this time;
Audio: Can be used to connect a computer or other devices to perform DAC IN through the R3/the R3 Pro. The R3/the R3 Pro acts as DAC decoding this time;
Dock: Support output through some base device (like TempoTec iDSD). The R3/the R3 pro acts as digital source.

Please correct me if I am wrong but if the R3 Pro is a source it should not be controlling the volume.

I can use the same arrangement with my Cayin N3 and the volume can only be controlled on the iFi Nano.

Thank you !

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #1,071 of 2,070
Your iFi Nano is a DAC/AMP combo. When you connect it to the R3 Pro, go into Play Settings. Change it from headphone out to line out. Once you do this, volume will be fully controlled by the iFi Nano only.

Aug 12, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #1,072 of 2,070
Your iFi Nano is a DAC/AMP combo. When you connect it to the R3 Pro, go into Play Settings. Change it from headphone out to line out. Once you do this, volume will be fully controlled by the iFi Nano only.

Dear DW75, thank you for getting back to me.

In the Play settings there is a "Output Selection with a (headphone Icon)" but the "headphone Icon" is grayed out and cannot be changed.

"USB Audio Device Connected" shows up on the R3 Pro when I plugin the iFi Nano (DAC / headphone Amp) and I can hear music through the iFi Nano, but the volume is being controlled by the R3 Pro.

Is there another setting that also needs to be changed to become "line out" ?

Thank you !

Aug 12, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #1,074 of 2,070
Received my R3 Pro and learning the features. Trying the R3 Pro as source with an external DAC using a iFi Nano, can get the audio to play, but the R3 Pro is still controlling the volume.
Have changed the USB setting to Dock and the R3 Pro is still controlling the volume.
Please correct me if I am wrong but if the R3 Pro is a source it should not be controlling the volume.
I can use the same arrangement with my Cayin N3 and the volume can only be controlled on the iFi Nano.
Just tried on my IFI Nano to get full digital volume:
Play settings >> Maximum digital volume output = enabled
System settings >> USB current limited = enabled
System settings >> USB audio mode = audio

Seems like that gets the MQA purple led activated when playing MQA songs.
Whereas, when using R3Pro volume control, the purple led would not get activated.
MQA is far too clever for human understanding :)

Note: R3 Pro running v1.4 firmware

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #1,076 of 2,070
Just tried on my IFI Nano to get full digital volume:
Play settings >> Maximum digital volume output = enabled
System settings >> USB current limited = enabled
System settings >> USB audio mode = audio

Seems like that gets the MQA purple led activated when playing MQA songs.
Whereas, when using R3Pro volume control, the purple led would not get activated.
MQA is far too clever for human understanding :)

Note: R3 Pro running v1.4 firmware

Thank you purplesun !!

That did it, now the iFi Nano controls the volume. As it should work, doesn't matter what the volume is set at on the R3 Pro, the iFi controls volume. Except if I set the R3 Pro to "0", then the volume goes to "0" on the iFi Nano.

Sorry other question:
In the Play settings there is a "Output Selection with a (headphone Icon)" but the "headphone Icon" is grayed out and cannot be changed. Why ? Doesn't seem to matter what I change the "Output Selection with a (headphone Icon)" is grayed out. Thank you !!

Running v1.4 firmware

Cheers

Aug 12, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #1,077 of 2,070
A few questions:
1. How do I setup WiFi file transfer, and will I be able to drag and drop full folders (containing one album, for example) onto the R3pro?

2. Are there custom themes that can be put onto it? I know that custom themes are mentioned on Hibys site but I haven’t heard much about them, or where a repository to download them from might be. I can’t find the file for the Hexagon theme I’ve read about...

3. As someone who doesn’t use Tidal, can I remove that icon from the library screen?

4. I’ve read a lot of people have issues with crashing, freezes, and a variety of other incredibly annoying bugs. Is this common or would you say it’s a rare occurrence?

5. If anyone here has heard the Shanling M2x, M5s, or Sony ZX300, could you compare the sound quality of those to the R3pro? Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #1,079 of 2,070
A few questions:
1. How do I setup WiFi file transfer, and will I be able to drag and drop full folders (containing one album, for example) onto the R3pro?

2. Are there custom themes that can be put onto it? I know that custom themes are mentioned on Hibys site but I haven’t heard much about them, or where a repository to download them from might be. I can’t find the file for the Hexagon theme I’ve read about...

3. As someone who doesn’t use Tidal, can I remove that icon from the library screen?

4. I’ve read a lot of people have issues with crashing, freezes, and a variety of other incredibly annoying bugs. Is this common or would you say it’s a rare occurrence?

5. If anyone here has heard the Shanling M2x, M5s, or Sony ZX300, could you compare the sound quality of those to the R3pro? Thanks!

I own both the M5s and the Saber and from my experience, I prefer the sound characteristics of the Saber more with my ATH-MSR7b. The M5s with the Audio Technicas and other closed headphones I own, has an absence of treble and doesn't have the 'bite' that the Saber has. The Saber is more dynamic, has more forward vocals, is more aggressive, has more treble and overall, results into a better overall listening experience. If you don't want a more 'aggressive' listening experience, though, then the Saber may not be for you. To be honest, the Saber is similar to the classic Fiio X5 II that I also own in that the music seems 'EQued' even with the EQ feature turned off. I really like that personally as it makes the music sound more dynamic, more alive.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #1,080 of 2,070
I have been very impressed with the R3 Pro since I bought it. The sound quality, performance, features, and user interface are just excellent for the price point. Competitors just do not have anything currently that compares at the 200 US price level. I wonder if Hiby has plans to come out with an R5 Pro at some point. It would be very exciting to see a dual AKM 4497 based DAP come out at the 399 price point to replace the current R5.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back