Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Aug 6, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #1,021 of 2,070
I have the original R3Pro. No real problems with Tidal nor Qobuz (I have both) streaming at highest bitrate. Very rarely I'll have a hiccup on Qobuz on extremely high bitrate tracks, but then again, my home internet is a cellular hotspot so speed isn't always consistent. OTOH, Tidal's MQA files are actually a significantly lower bitrate and I've yet to have one of those hiccup or stutter while playing.

Have you noticed if it only seems to do it on certain tracks/albums? Have you tried the same tracks on your phone or computer? If that's the case, I'd be happy to try them and see if they play ok for me.

[edit] Oh - another thought - are you listening via wired headphones? or Bluetooth? If bluetooth, is your WiFi 2.4 or 5 GHz? Bluetooth also operates in the 2.4 GHz band, and it is possible for BT and WiFi to interfere with each other in some circumstances. Also, are you on the latest firmware?

Thanks for the detailed responses MrNaturalAZ and purplesun! I've experienced it with different tracks and with both wired and BT headphones. I use a mesh network so that seems to be the culprit here! I am on the latest firmware too for my Hiby R3, but I don't recall this happening if I'm streaming off my Macbook Pro for example... I guess I'll have to just keep monitoring this.

Aug 6, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #1,022 of 2,070
I have been listening to my new R3 Pro for the last 3 hours paired with my Fiio A5 and Fiio FH5 iems. This is just an excellent portable setup. I am going to get many hours of enjoyment out of this setup while outdoors in the future. The R3 Pro has a very neutral sound signature. Nothing is out of place in the sound, and the presentation is nice and flat with good extension at both ends of the spectrum. Instrument separation and imaging is very good for a DAP at this price point. The imaging capability of this unit is actually well beyond this price level. Instruments are impressively rendered and sound correct and natural. Bass is quick and tight with excellent decay. There is no mid bass bloom present, so thankfully it is not bleeding into the mids. Vocals are nice and clean. They have no harshness in their presentation at all, and sound realistic. Soundstage has nice width and depth. Treble response on this DAP is ridiculously good for this price level. It is clean, detailed, well extended, defined, and articulate. Distortion on this DAP is very low. I have certainly not heard every DAP on the market at the 200 US level, but I will say I do not believe anything else exists on the market currently which will sound as good as the R3 Pro for 200 US. I highly recommend this unit to anyone who is looking for a DAP in the 200-300 price range. This unit is an notable step up in sound quality from the Fiio M6 I ended up returning for a refund.

Aug 7, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #1,023 of 2,070
After listening to this puppy for about 5 hours now, I will say again that the sound quality of the R3 Pro is definitely above its price point. If you put a blindfold on someone, and asked them to take a listen and tell you how much it costs, they would guess what they are hearing costs 300-400. The battery life is also fantastic. This DAP is just an excellent buy, and I am very impressed.

Aug 7, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #1,024 of 2,070
People should not be concerned about using this DAP with the 3.5mm jack. What you will want to do in that case is just use a good headphone amp of your choice. My Fiio A5 amp has excellent synergy with the R3 Pro. The difference in sound quality when using a headphone amp connected to the single ended connection is huge, which is to be expected.

Aug 8, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #1,026 of 2,070
Two peas in a pod.

20200808_150053.jpg

I never really noticed the saber edition has a slightly darker less flat finish and white highlights on the output labels.

20200808_150327.jpg

Aug 8, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #1,027 of 2,070
Does anybody here have the original, non-Pro R3 model as well? Is the display quality between the two generations different at all? Do the newer Pro models have overall better screens?

Aug 8, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #1,028 of 2,070
Does anybody here have the original, non-Pro R3 model as well? Is the display quality between the two generations different at all? Do the newer Pro models have overall better screens?

I didn't notice any difference. I had to hide my non-Pro R3 because I kept getting them mixed up - I had to remove the case and look at the writing on the back to tell them apart.

Aug 8, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #1,029 of 2,070
I didn't notice any difference. I had to hide my non-Pro R3 because I kept getting them mixed up - I had to remove the case and look at the writing on the back to tell them apart.

Don’t the Pro versions have a high res sticker on the front? The two Hiby R3 non-Pro models I own don’t. I don’t have the Saber yet, so don’t quote me on that, though.

Aug 8, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #1,030 of 2,070
Don’t the Pro versions have a high res sticker on the front? The two Hiby R3 non-Pro models I own don’t. I don’t have the Saber yet, so don’t quote me on that, though.

Both of mine have the high-res marking. My R3 was a kickstarter version, maybe they aren't all the same... 🤷‍♂️

The only difference I remember is the balanced headphone jack was slightly different.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #1,031 of 2,070

The hi res logos on the pros are under the glass. Screen and body are the same. My original r3 had an actual sticker on it.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #1,032 of 2,070
Two peas in a pod.

20200808_150053.jpg

I never really noticed the saber edition has a slightly darker less flat finish and white highlights on the output labels.

20200808_150327.jpg
this is perfect timing! I'm curious what made you decide to upgrade to the pro version from the original? I'm on the fence right now and struggling to see if it makes sense to purchase the Pro Saber or opt to purchase a set of cans. I think I've more or less decided on which direction I should go, but I'd be grateful if you could share your thoughts on the upgrade!

Aug 9, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #1,033 of 2,070
His two DAPs in the pic are of the two R3 Pro versions. The R3 Pro comes in two different versions. The original R3 Pro has the dual cirrus logic CS43131 dac chips. The alternative R3 Pro has the sabre dual ES9218P dac chips. Neither of these are the same as the original R3.

Aug 9, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #1,034 of 2,070
His two DAPs in the pic are of the two R3 Pro versions. The R3 Pro comes in two different versions. The original R3 Pro has the dual cirrus logic CS43131 dac chips. The alternative R3 Pro has the sabre dual ES9218P dac chips. Neither of these are the same as the original R3.
Oh thanks for clarifying that 😅

In that case, I guess I'll just go with my gut and revisit the DAP in the future 😃

Aug 9, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #1,035 of 2,070
this is perfect timing! I'm curious what made you decide to upgrade to the pro version from the original? I'm on the fence right now and struggling to see if it makes sense to purchase the Pro Saber or opt to purchase a set of cans. I think I've more or less decided on which direction I should go, but I'd be grateful if you could share your thoughts on the upgrade!

Btw, I had the original r3 too. Personally I think both pros are a nice step up from the original r3. Both have bigger soundstage, better treble, better bass and less hiss. Plus better battery life and more power. In my mind it's quite the upgrade :) And with the latest firmware, BT is better also.

These two sound more like a good mid tier dap. I couldn't go back to the original r3. Oh, and disclaimer- this is using the balanced output, I've never bothered with the SE out so I couldn't tell you if the differences are the same.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back