Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Aug 3, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #991 of 2,070
Those aren't the normal issues which require you to update the recovery, that's normally only required if the player simply reboots when attempting to flash firmware. I'd recommend putting firmware on freshly formatted SD card, an old one will do if you have one spare and retry. If it doesn't work then follow the steps above and Hiby have shared to flash recovery and then should be able to update fine if there is an issue upgrading firmware normally.

I just tried updating the firmware again using a smaller 2 GB FAT32 microSD card. The player just reboots and doesn't actually update.

So this means I need to try this other recovery method?

Is there a detailed guide on how to do this update via the recovery method? What files/drivers do I need and where do I download them?

Aug 3, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #992 of 2,070
I just tried updating the firmware again using a smaller 2 GB FAT32 microSD card. The player just reboots and doesn't actually update.

So this means I need to try this other recovery method?

Is there a detailed guide on how to do this update via the recovery method? What files/drivers do I need and where do I download them?
Go back a few posts. You'll find all the information you need.

Aug 3, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #993 of 2,070
Thanks to Hiby for the exceptional player in the price-performance ratio, I am forwarding to the forum their answers to the question and suggestion for the future interface, maybe it will help someone:

Hi,
I am very satisfied with new R3 Pro Saber, but I don't understand settings of digital filters.
If I switch between filters while playing music,
I can't hear any big differences, can you please describe what causes which filter in the sound characteristic?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are options in the digital-to-analog conversion of the clip. The aim is not to change the sound, just three different ways of the final step of signal restoration. To start with the principle of digital-to-analog conversion, nowadays the DAC will interpolate a large amount of samples first, giving a high sampling rate signal and then converting it to an analog signal with a high-frequency converter. In this interpolation process, the ultra-high frequency noise above the frequency represented by the original sampling rate needs to be removed, or should not say noise, but the low-pass filtering is required in the interpolation process. Here, three filters are selected, and the given analog signals will have a slight difference.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have only one comment on the current interface on the R3Pro Saber.

Everything is functional and convenient, but the small display does not show longer folder or file names. I sort and then select my music in directories by artist and album. For longer names, the orientation is confusing. At the same time, there is enough space on the line in height, the folder mark also takes up a lot of space ...
Would it not be possible to include some scrolling option in the next update (even with speed adjustment) or to use the line wrapping function (below itself)? Sansa Clip + could also scroll and with a slightly smaller display, the folders could be better oriented ...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you very much for your feedback. We've recorded your suggestions and submitted it to our engineers. They will check to see what we can do in future updates. Thanks for choosing HiBy.

Aug 4, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #994 of 2,070
After playing with both the vanilla r3pro and then the saber version, after the excitement of the 'new' saber version wore off I find myself prefering the original r3pro.

I simply think it sounds a bit more natural and with the mids moved out a bit compared to the upfront saber version- well I like the added depth in the vanilla version. I also have headphones/iems that have kind of a v shape so the more neutral sound of the vanilla works better.

That particular saber chip seems to have an slight accent on bass and treble. Cymbals sound a bit off, just like hidizs ap80 pro. Maybe too metallic?

Both are excellent, and these are just personal preferences and of course are greatly influenced by my iems and cans. I don’t think you can go wrong with either one and they represent an amazing sound quality/value ratio.

Just thought I'd throw that bone to any of you vanilla pro r3 users feeling envious or insecure :)

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #995 of 2,070
Just thought I'd throw that bone to any of you vanilla pro r3 users feeling insecure :)
There I was thinking it was being locked in the house for months and fearful of another human being coughing less than 30 metres away that was causing my anxiety. Feel much better now :)

Aug 4, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #996 of 2,070
HibyOS, some things need to be fixed with it.

First, when using the album cover as the wallpaper, it takes several seconds for it to load up whenever waking up the device while the album is playing.

Also, I sometimes experience crashes when an album in DSD is finished playing.

Also, just how fast the album tags load generally.

Aug 4, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #997 of 2,070
After playing with both the vanilla r3pro and then the saber version, after the excitement of the 'new' saber version wore off I find myself prefering the original r3pro.

I simply think it sounds a bit more natural and with the mids moved out a bit compared to the upfront saber version- well I like the added depth in the vanilla version. I also have headphones/iems that have kind of a v shape so the more neutral sound of the vanilla works better.

That particular saber chip seems to have an slight accent on bass and treble. Cymbals sound a bit off, just like hidizs ap80 pro. Maybe too metallic?

Both are excellent, and these are just personal preferences and of course are greatly influenced by my iems and cans. I don’t think you can go wrong with either one and they represent an amazing sound quality/value ratio.

Just thought I'd throw that bone to any of you vanilla pro r3 users feeling envious or insecure :)

I own headphones that is pronounced in the treble region and lacking in the bass area. What version of the R3 Pro would you recommend for me?

Aug 4, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #999 of 2,070
I own headphones that is pronounced in the treble region and lacking in the bass area. What version of the R3 Pro would you recommend for me?

Do you like more energetic treble and bass? Or do you like a more even sound?

Honestly to my ears they sound similar with the saber mids being a bit more up front and a slight tilt towards the high end and maybe a little more dynamic.

The vanilla is more even and mids are back a bit. I wouldn't even call it warm, but I'd say the saber is a bit accentuated in the treble. Also maybe the sub bass.

I don’t like mids real close, I like the imaginary stage to have some depth.

If your sensitive to treble or want more neutral get the vanilla. If you want some extra sauce and slightly more in your face get the saber.

Or ideally try them both.

Aug 4, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #1,000 of 2,070
I am looking forward to getting it. I was notified today that the grey color is not in stock, so I am getting it in black instead. I am not all that concerned about the color so no big deal.

If you're using the balanced out it's going to give you more detail and a bigger soundstage than the m6 for sure.

Aug 4, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #1,003 of 2,070
I will test out the balanced out, but the plan for now is to go single ended paired with my Fiio A5 headphone amp. My iems are the Fiio FH5 black edition.
The SE out did work quite well with a Topping NX3s amp when I tested it. The FiiO A5 amp should have similar synergy with the R3 Pro.

Aug 4, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #1,005 of 2,070
Do you like more energetic treble and bass? Or do you like a more even sound?

Honestly to my ears they sound similar with the saber mids being a bit more up front and a slight tilt towards the high end and maybe a little more dynamic.

The vanilla is more even and mids are back a bit. I wouldn't even call it warm, but I'd say the saber is a bit accentuated in the treble. Also maybe the sub bass.

I don’t like mids real close, I like the imaginary stage to have some depth.

If your sensitive to treble or want more neutral get the vanilla. If you want some extra sauce and slightly more in your face get the saber.

Or ideally try them both.
I do like upfront vocals. The headphones I was talking about was the ATH-MSR7b. This has treble in spades and has lean bass. I would like more bass from it, though I also really enjoy a detailed sound signature. Its treble can be harsh, I admit. I’m leaning more towards the Saber at the moment since more people favor it over the vanilla. What do you think?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back