Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Jan 31, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #287 of 2,070
I'm using 800x800 mostly, some larger files eg 1200x1200 and above won't display even if attached to files. I haven't tested for the exact threshold

Thanks. 1200x1200 definitely won't work but I've tried 600x600 and 380x380 and it doesn't work.

Jan 31, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #289 of 2,070
Jan 31, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #290 of 2,070
"I would look at the R3 Pro as primarily a portable local music and Bluetooth dap with the added benefit of streaming. If you are looking for a portable dap primarily for streaming, I would recommend the Hiby R5, especially at it's new price"

I get your point but something is wrong when you expect to be able to stream Tidal or Qobuz on Wi-Fi and it does not work in most locations. I can use the LG V40 with USB pro at home if needed. If I had decided to only download music on a player, I would have chosen a different product when it comes to quality and sound. I guess that's the reason why you don't see many Tidal/Qobuz streamers without Android on market.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #291 of 2,070
Well, in my use case I have used wifi streaming from the R3 pro often in the home, office and on the go with 4g tethering and haven't experienced any issues.

But if you want a more optimal streaming experience in all use cases then you should definitely go for a more capable device (with Android). The R3Pro is a dirt cheap device for what it sounds like and all the features it has, but apparently for wifi performance this is a case of you get what you pay for.

Feb 1, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #296 of 2,070
Feb 2, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #297 of 2,070
Depending on how it works, you would either set the R3 pro to Storage mode for the car to read the music files directly from the pro for playback, or Audio mode to output USB audio to the car for rendering.
Well I have not been able to get a wired connection to my Subaru , it just won’t recognize the R3 either under audio or storage mode .

Feb 3, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #298 of 2,070
Thanks. 1200x1200 definitely won't work but I've tried 600x600 and 380x380 and it doesn't work.

Are you using standard or progressive jpg for your artwork? I found only standard jpg works reliably on all the DAP's I have owned either embedded or copied to the album folder. I use 450 x 450 at I believe 72 dpi and they all display well on the smaller DAP screens. My Sony A17 only worked with embedded artwork and MediaGo downloads and embeds all album art at 450 x 450 at 72 dpi. My Shanling M0 worked with both embedded and folder, and my Fiio M7 and M9 seem to have fewer issues with embedded artwork. At 450 x 450, 72 dpi, standard jpg, every single one of my 8500+ songs displays the album art. Apple use to standardize their displays at 72 dpi, Windows really doesn't have a standard but some say it is 96 dpi. 72 dpi has worked for me with all my DAP's and keeps the album art fairly small. Anything above 96 dpi is likely overkill on a DAP display and wastes space with larger file sizes.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #299 of 2,070
just got mine and been toying with it for three days. amazing, huge, clean sound for its size. was able to drive the HD660S with enough power to get the bass kicking. and the black background with the andromedas surprised me the most. tried it with the Roxanne which i had not touched for almost two years; now they have been revived! tried its bluetooth features and works flawlessly with bluetooth speakers and as a receiver as well. tidal and internet radio streaming. whew. this little player does it all. with the DLNA function, though, (im using JRiver MC26), i have to tap on the NEXT TRACK tab in order to listen to the subsequent track. hope this will be fixed on the next firmware update. now for the part that i have loved with the Hiby Music app on the R6Pro and which i had hoped to be present in the R3Pro, the PLAY QUEUE. its gone. could not edit the queue, nor add tracks or an album to be played next to the currently playing track or added to the end of the queue. will the PLAY QUEUE ever be available in future updates? i hope so.. this little DAP is just amazing!

Feb 4, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #300 of 2,070
Are you using standard or progressive jpg for your artwork? I found only standard jpg works reliably on all the DAP's I have owned either embedded or copied to the album folder. I use 450 x 450 at I believe 72 dpi and they all display well on the smaller DAP screens. My Sony A17 only worked with embedded artwork and MediaGo downloads and embeds all album art at 450 x 450 at 72 dpi. My Shanling M0 worked with both embedded and folder, and my Fiio M7 and M9 seem to have fewer issues with embedded artwork. At 450 x 450, 72 dpi, standard jpg, every single one of my 8500+ songs displays the album art. Apple use to standardize their displays at 72 dpi, Windows really doesn't have a standard but some say it is 96 dpi. 72 dpi has worked for me with all my DAP's and keeps the album art fairly small. Anything above 96 dpi is likely overkill on a DAP display and wastes space with larger file sizes.

I can't speak for the difference between progressive or standard. Can you tell me how I can tell the difference when looking at the file?

These are the characteristics of the jpg I was talking about. This is used in the folder only, not embedded.
1580828543373.png

I wonder why weexisttocease has such an issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back