Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Dec 11, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #136 of 2,070
No the sound quality is very good, although I do think on some material the Sony sounds better, but the r3p sounds really good out of balanced.

It's mostly the wonky bluetooth and the ease of use of the Sony. Even though the battery life isn't as good . Basically I would have lost more returning or selling the Sony, than returning r3p to Amazon.

The Sony is a better overall player but it's a hundred bucks more.
Yep i nearly sold my sony i quickly changed my mind it is a great player apart from the battery life !! ..i have the R3 i will sell that and keep the R3 PRO when it arrives and use that with my mojo

Dec 11, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #137 of 2,070
Yep i nearly sold my sony i quickly changed my mind it is a great player apart from the battery life !! ..i have the R3 i will sell that and keep the R3 PRO when it arrives and use that with my mojo

Yep it has a distinct precise sound, I still think they can improve the battery life and standby time with firmware. And it's cool to use the Sony soubd effects on streaming and other apps. I've been using a small anker power brick to extend listening times.

But hiby r3p will be perfect for mojo.the size and screen are perfect for transport. But it does sound awesome for a tiny player.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #138 of 2,070
Probably going to buy this, questions for anyone who has onehow smooth is the tidal app? does it have any problems with downloading and playing offline, I hear it can't donwload files? How reliable is the bluetooth receiver function?

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #139 of 2,070
Probably going to buy this, questions for anyone who has onehow smooth is the tidal app? does it have any problems with downloading and playing offline, I hear it can't donwload files? How reliable is the bluetooth receiver function?

You can't download tidal files, it's not the regular app. It uses the hiby ui. But it runs fine and sounds good. Well at least for me it was pretty smooth, I used 5g wifi.

Dec 11, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #140 of 2,070
I am returning mine too soon. The SBC bluetooth connection is spotty. I got a lot of pops and distortion in the car and once in a while at home. Update firmware, turn all wifi off and still the same issues. I must say it sound very good at this price with balance out but I am using this to replace the Earsonic and it seems the earsonic does have about the same sound quality but perfect bluetooth connection with zero interference.

Dec 11, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #143 of 2,070
any one recommend a DAP with good BT receiver? I see the DX160 has the same issues. What else should I look? Looking for a DAP with good Bluetooth connection.

Dx160 was even worse and even dx220. It seems all these daps advertising bluetooth 5.0 have problems.

I can also recommend Sony for rock solid bluetooth. I have A105 now and I've has zx300 and NW A35/45 all had very stable bluetooth. The hiby R5 I had was solid on bluetooth also.

Hopefully they can get these problems addressed in firmware.

Dec 11, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #144 of 2,070
Got mine a couple of days ago. Pairing them with the Kanas Pro's -- these things kicks a$$!

I haven't tried BT, but have been streaming from Tidal for a few hours. Had the occasional hiccup, where it would start 'stuttering', ... and then the music would stop, and it would appear to be buffering before it starts again. Happened a couple of times - but the sound quality from Tidal is pretty amazing.

A little off topic -- but I am hunting for some new cans. I really like the reviews of these:

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-edition-xx-headphones#overview

Am just wondering, if this little thing can power these by itself, ... or if I'd need an amp to boost it?

Dec 11, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #145 of 2,070
Got mine a couple of days ago. Pairing them with the Kanas Pro's -- these things kicks a$$!

I haven't tried BT, but have been streaming from Tidal for a few hours. Had the occasional hiccup, where it would start 'stuttering', ... and then the music would stop, and it would appear to be buffering before it starts again. Happened a couple of times - but the sound quality from Tidal is pretty amazing.

A little off topic -- but I am hunting for some new cans. I really like the reviews of these:

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-edition-xx-headphones#overview

Am just wondering, if this little thing can power these by itself, ... or if I'd need an amp to boost it?

You using 5g wifi? I had a bit of studdering with 2.4 but not when I switched to 5g. The hifi man planars and planers in general sound better with an amp imo- but the r3p will drive those fine.

Dec 11, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #146 of 2,070
There's a big, dynamic sound coming from this little powerhouse. R3 Pro drives the HD660s easily.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #147 of 2,070
Sadly I've returned my r3p ( before return window closes) as the bluetooth even after the update is still spotty. I thought it was better and it was but it still studders quite a bit while moving.

So I've got my free pleather (nice) case for writing a review and have no use for it now. So some luckster can have it- just PM me and make sure you live in the continental US and I'll send it to you pro bono.

It is the yule/christmas holiday after all :wink:

Pics- probably the worst I've ever taken but the case is mint

Sorry to hear you returned it, you were my inspiration for seriously considering R3 Pro. If it is a shielding issue then they may not be able to address the bluetooth issue with a firmware update. Perhaps in a few months when they have produced newer batches they will address it on the hardware side if need be. It is very disappointing that they wouldn't catch such a significant issue before initial release. Minor bugs I can almost forgive but to have such issues with such a major feature is unacceptable in my book.

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #148 of 2,070
Sorry to hear you returned it, you were my inspiration for seriously considering R3 Pro. If it is a shielding issue then they may not be able to address the bluetooth issue with a firmware update. Perhaps in a few months when they have produced newer batches they will address it on the hardware side if need be. It is very disappointing that they wouldn't catch such a significant issue before initial release. Minor bugs I can almost forgive but to have such issues with such a major feature is unacceptable in my book.

Well it was better than dx160 on bluetooth and was fine if stationary. Unfortunately on my intended uses it didn't work so well consistently. Shielding was just a guess, but a good one since I know Sony shields their components very good against emi interference and the A105 is rock solid with bt.

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #149 of 2,070
Dx160 was even worse and even dx220. It seems all these daps advertising bluetooth 5.0 have problems.

I can also recommend Sony for rock solid bluetooth. I have A105 now and I've has zx300 and NW A35/45 all had very stable bluetooth. The hiby R5 I had was solid on bluetooth also.

Hopefully they can get these problems addressed in firmware.

I just read the headphonics
Well it was better than dx160 on bluetooth and was fine if stationary. Unfortunately on my intended uses it didn't work so well consistently. Shielding was just a guess, but a good one since I know Sony shields their components very good against emi interference and the A105 is rock solid with bt.

Yeah I would chock this up to R&D and product development experience which Sony has in spades over the Chinese DAP makers. Sony has so many other products that use bluetooth so they should be rock solid in bluetooth implementation. Bluetooth is one area Fiio seems very good as well at least on the M series. I have very good range on my M7 even with LDAC High Quality, haven't used bluetooth much with M9 yet but it seems very stable in limited use. It could be Bluetooth 5.0 implementation being relatively new to the DAP market causing headaches. Hopefully on the next round of DAP releases the Chinese DAP makers will have a better handle on implementation.

Dec 13, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #150 of 2,070
I did tell them about the problem when enabling idle standby, I hope I managed to communicate the issue properly

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back