Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Dec 15, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #154 of 2,068
My wifi was really stable. Plus if you don't mind a little bigger dap you can open your pocketbook a little more and get the excellent R5. :wink:
I thought you'd recommend the DX160 :wink:

Dec 15, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #155 of 2,068
My wifi was really stable. Plus if you don't mind a little bigger dap you can open your pocketbook a little more and get the excellent R5. :wink:
I can not afford it :/ 200$ is maximum for me. I was considering few models. Fiio M6, Shanling M0, M2X, Hiby R3 Pro, Hidizs AP80 Pro and Sony NW A55. In terms of desing i like Sony and Hiby the most but there are a lot of opinions on internet that Sony is the worst sounding of all of them. Fiio, Shanling and Hidizs does not support MQA and i have more than half of my music library in MQA. Hiby R3 Pro would be perfect for me if BT interfernces was just firmware problem but i think it is related to hardware. So right now i am without any DAP and it slowly driving me crazy. Previously i had normal R3 but i did not like the sound with my XBA N3. The highs were too smooth and low end was a bit too muddy.

Dec 15, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #157 of 2,068
I can not afford it :/ 200$ is maximum for me. I was considering few models. Fiio M6, Shanling M0, M2X, Hiby R3 Pro, Hidizs AP80 Pro and Sony NW A55. In terms of desing i like Sony and Hiby the most but there are a lot of opinions on internet that Sony is the worst sounding of all of them. Fiio, Shanling and Hidizs does not support MQA and i have more than half of my music library in MQA. Hiby R3 Pro would be perfect for me if BT interfernces was just firmware problem but i think it is related to hardware. So right now i am without any DAP and it slowly driving me crazy. Previously i had normal R3 but i did not like the sound with my XBA N3. The highs were too smooth and low end was a bit too muddy.

Yep if they can fix the bluetooth it would be ideal. It worked for me sometimes and then other times it was spotty.

As for Sony, they have their own sound, I'm using a105 atm and it sd sounds incredible with some material. Super clear and with a very 3d soundstage.

R3 pro is a bit wider but not as full sounding in depth. Really they all sound good it's just different flavours and how much power you need and how much you're willing to overlook:wink:

I didn't want 2 daps anymore- a really good sounding dap and a small portable dap for active and vehicle use. I got rid of ap80 so I wanted a small dap that sounded great so I would miss a bigger daps sound like m11 or dx160 but I needed it to be decent with bluetooth like ap80.

R3p fit the bill for sound but a bit rough on bt transmission atm.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #158 of 2,068
And one last thing regarding sound. I've tried out a shitload of daps the last couple of months. And one thing I've come away with is they all sound pretty damn good, especially in the so called (mid range) bracket. The r3p out of balanced sounds to me like a mid range dap.

But honestly if I get spec numbers of dacs ( really meaningless ) and numbers in general out of my head. And I ignored other proples impressions and reviews and I tried to pick out different daps in a blind test with exact volume matching I'm sure alot of them would sound the same to me. Now something with a distinct sound signature like say Cayin n8 or Sony wm1z I might be able to pic those out, maybe.

Now I'm not talking about most sub 200 dollar daps like ap80 and shanling m2 and m0 and such as they usually don't have a wide big presence and body and weight. But for the mid stuff and some of the high end they sound very similar.

I guess what I'm saying is get a dap based on the features and size/aesthetics you want and don't get too bogged down by specs and such. Chances are it's going to sound good.

Dec 15, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #160 of 2,068
And one last thing regarding sound. I've tried out a shitload of daps the last couple of months. And one thing I've come away with is they all sound pretty damn good, especially in the so called (mid range) bracket. The r3p out of balanced sounds to me like a mid range dap.

But honestly if I get spec numbers of dacs ( really meaningless ) and numbers in general out of my head. And I ignored other proples impressions and reviews and I tried to pick out different daps in a blind test with exact volume matching I'm sure alot of them would sound the same to me. Now something with a distinct sound signature like say Cayin n8 or Sony wm1z I might be able to pic those out, maybe.

Now I'm not talking about most sub 200 dollar daps like ap80 and shanling m2 and m0 and such as they usually don't have a wide big presence and body and weight. But for the mid stuff and some of the high end they sound very similar.

I guess what I'm saying is get a dap based on the features and size/aesthetics you want and don't get too bogged down by specs and such. Chances are it's going to sound good.

Ando also don't forget usability. I agree that the R5 is a great DAP because everything just works as it should. Too many DAPs have performance/usability issues that render them useless even if they sound good and have great features. I'm getting the R3Pro soon to use as an ultra portable/digital transport DAP and have high hopes for it due to my previous experience with the R5. Not to mention that Hiby product support does a great job and listens to customers

Dec 15, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #161 of 2,068
Even NW-A55? Because i have heard it sound worse than M0, M6 and R3 and i have had R3 and did not like the sound of it much.

I never heard A55. But I had A35 and A45 and they both sounded good as all those you mentioned and in some ways better.

Unless if you're trying to drive anything that's a bit demanding. The A series is meant for efficient stuff and all of those have more power output, so yes if you were trying to drive something a bit more demanding they would probably sound better.

Me I've got 16 ohm iems with high sensitivity that I use most of the time. So they're veri easy to drive.

The ideal situation of course is if you could hear on yourself. With you own iems/headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #162 of 2,068
Ando also don't forget usability. I agree that the R5 is a great DAP because everything just works as it should. Too many DAPs have performance/usability issues that render them useless even if they sound good and have great features. I'm getting the R3Pro soon to use as an ultra portable/digital transport DAP and have high hopes for it due to my previous experience with the R5. Not to mention that Hiby product support does a great job and listens to customers

That's really what I was getting at also, usability is a key factor for me now. I'm not having multiple daps so I need something that everything works well on. Like r5, just happens r5 is a touch to heavy for me for active use, but that's just me.

But yes it's very nice if every feature on a dap works well, which sadly ime isn't the norm.

But sound wise I haven't heard on dap that sounded 'bad' they all sounded pretty accurate, clean and just good. Sure some might have a bigger perceived stage and maybe sound a touch livelier or whatever and I preferred the sound of one to the other.

But that's just my ears and taste, I can't objectively say X sounds better than Z. And price and specs don't always follow the sound either :wink: imo.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #163 of 2,068
I never heard A55. But I had A35 and A45 and they both sounded good as all those you mentioned and in some ways better.

Unless if you're trying to drive anything that's a bit demanding. The A series is meant for efficient stuff and all of those have more power output, so yes if you were trying to drive something a bit more demanding they would probably sound better.

Me I've got 16 ohm iems with high sensitivity that I use most of the time. So they're veri easy to drive.

The ideal situation of course is if you could hear on yourself. With you own iems/headphones.

I think i will go with A55. XBA N3 are 32 ohm with 107 sensitivity and i think it may sound good. In my country i can get new one for 166$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back