HiBy R2 - HiBy's entry-level HiFi digital audio player
Mar 17, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #451 of 872
A follow up,

What has been the consensus on the button rattle with the R2, is it normal ?

Or rather has anyone gotten one that does not have the button rattle at this point ?

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #452 of 872
Buttons do rattle a little bit cause of the loose fitting. Buttons are plastic. Not a deal breaker at all. It is a nifty tiny player with clean sound, dark background, decent battery, wifi/bt. R3 is a step up in both quality, user experience, and features. But that doesnt mean R2 is bad. I sold my R3 Pro and got the R2 instead. Using with Qudelix 5K 2.5mm output+PEQ EQ. If I need 3.5mm i can just use the R2 output.

Mar 21, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #453 of 872
So it seems this thing does not charge with USB C chargers at all ? i.e ones that have the USB 3/C power negotiation/quick charge spec ? (from the likes of Anker etc, mine is an Anker..)

Does seem to work with regular chargers or hooked up to a computer though, I have it charging from a power only(non usb 3 spec) port on my main USB Hub..

Mar 21, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #454 of 872
I've been with this little wonder for almost two months. I do not have any of the problems that I have seen exposed in the 30 pages of this thread that I have read, except perhaps loss of Wi-Fi signal, which was fixed by changing to a network with a higher signal. my only complaint would be with the use of the touch screen, which does not always respond the first time.
My main use is to access Tidal or play my music collection that I have on a pc (4 Tb on a ssd and 6Tb on GDrive) managed by Foobar2000 and sent to R2 through the BubbleUPnP server, which is also on the pc, although yes It is true that I control the reproduction from the mobile phone.
And I want to take this opportunity to thank the contributions made by various users who have allowed me to configure R2 to be able to play radio stations. All for € 89. Who gives more??? NO ONE.

Attachments

• IMG_20210320_125442.jpg
    IMG_20210320_125442.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
Mar 21, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #455 of 872
I've been with this little wonder for almost two months. I do not have any of the problems that I have seen exposed in the 30 pages of this thread that I have read, except perhaps loss of Wi-Fi signal, which was fixed by changing to a network with a higher signal. my only complaint would be with the use of the touch screen, which does not always respond the first time.
My main use is to access Tidal or play my music collection that I have on a pc (4 Tb on a ssd and 6Tb on GDrive) managed by Foobar2000 and sent to R2 through the BubbleUPnP server, which is also on the pc, although yes It is true that I control the reproduction from the mobile phone.
And I want to take this opportunity to thank the contributions made by various users who have allowed me to configure R2 to be able to play radio stations. All for € 89. Who gives more??? NO ONE.

Your R2 has no issues with rattling buttons ?

Mar 21, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #456 of 872
Your R2 has no issues with rattling buttons ?
Only if I shake the player in an excessive and unnatural way, in "normal" use there is no noticeable noise.

Mar 21, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #458 of 872
Also found a new quirk today it seems ?

Sometimes unplugging the R2 from USB when it is charging causes the R2 to seemingly power off and/or restart(It shows the boot logo as if it was powered on from being off when the USB is disconnected)

It also powers off completely (needing a power button press to turn on, with boot logo etc) when it reaches 100% charge and the USB is unplugged.

EDIT: after some testing this seems to be an issue with the Standby option turned on ? anyone else able to confirm ?

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #460 of 872
If I don't need tidal/streaming services and only focusing on sound quality, what would be a better DAP among Shanling Q1 & Hiby R2? Afaik, the two main things that are going for Shanling Q1 are better battery life & better (?) build quality, while Hiby R2 has newer BT 5.0 and some unique features like MSEB. Also, I'm wondering how are they holding up long-term.

Mar 29, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #461 of 872
I had a few Shanlings. They work good, battery life was short, for me at least. One other thing i dislike is the scroll wheel. Buttons on R3, R2 are much easier to control the device. I prefer HIBY and Fiio devices. Havent tried newer Shanling offerings.

Mar 29, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #462 of 872
I had a few Shanlings. They work good, battery life was short, for me at least. One other thing i dislike is the scroll wheel. Buttons on R3, R2 are much easier to control the device. I prefer HIBY and Fiio devices. Havent tried newer Shanling offerings.
Thank you. How's your R2 holding up? I heard there are some complaints about its build quality and glitchy software.

Apr 9, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #465 of 872
I can't connect my r2 with the phone via hiby link (first time), it says unknow device, failure to connect. Any help?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back