HiBy R2 - HiBy's entry-level HiFi digital audio player
Feb 4, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #421 of 872
So far, the responses have been generally positive. The negatives concern the bluetooth and wifi range.......both of these are of little importance for my use. If anyone else want to chime in, whether positive or negative, please do so. Although not necessary, if you have an alternative to the R2 that you would recommend for me to consider, I'd appreciate that as well.

Also, if there is a new dap on the horizon (i.e. before this summer) that might interest me, let me know.

Thanks to those that have responded and to those that will respond.
I have the R2 for two days now...

It sounds ****ing good. Others mentioned it already but I just couldnt care until I heard it.

You can switch between high and low gain mode.

I'm using it with tidal. Tidal can freeze if I going in and out of the menus while listening music. If you just use it normally there is no issue.

I inserted an sd card with 14k songs. It took about 10m to update the music collection but that's an inconvenience not an issue.

R2 can act like a sdcard reader. So music transfer is easy.

WiFi range isn't an issue. I have a good Asus router.

Haven't tried Bluetooth yet.

No issues with the touch screen. To me it seems to be that there are zones where you should move your finger. For example if I pull down my finger at the top right corner the quick setting menu never works. But if I pull it down from the top left it always works. Seems to be intended.

I don't have issue with the keyboard. I can type fast with it.

I was able to plug my fiio k5 into the hiby R2 USB and my fiio works as a dac and the R2 as a source. Good for hard to drive headphones.

R2 can work as a dlna server too I think. But I couldn't figure it out yet. It appears on my pc but gave me an error.

Android companion app works so far. You can connect your phone as a client to the R2. In this case the phone is a remote controller.

It can also connect as a server. In this case the phone is providing the content for the R2 and the R2 is just a receiver. To me it seems to be that this is the only way to play music from dlna sources on the R2. So dlna - > phone - > R2.

Battery seems to be 7 hour ish.. With WiFi and tidal streaming.

Build quality is good However its heavy...

So far it's a positive experience for me.

Feb 4, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #423 of 872
It is a DLNA renderer, which means it receives DLNA audio pushed to it by a DLNA server or controller. So yes, if you're not at the computer where the DLNA server is, you will need to access the DLNA service using a controller such as on your phone to push the content to the R2.

Best regards,
Joe
HiBy Music

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 5, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #424 of 872
Just had a play with my sons R2.
Managed to get DLNA renderer working.
Streamed 24bit flac from my NAS to R2 using BubbleuPnP on my phone as controller.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #425 of 872
Another
Just had a play with my sons R2.
Managed to get DLNA renderer working.
Streamed 24bit flac from my NAS to R2 using BubbleuPnP on my phone as controller.

Thanks for the explanation. Would be cool to make the DLNA server acessible directly from the R2 without the need of a phone. This is my first hiby product so I'm not sure if this is something that could be addressed via firmware updates or not.

Feb 5, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #427 of 872
Is it going through the phone or once you start streaming it goes directly from nas to R2?
My understanding and testing would suggest that it is straight from NAS to R2, but controller lines up each track individually at the right time if playing album/playlist.
If controller is turned off then current track will play to the end but next track won't start.

I'm no expert so someone please free to correct me if this is inaccurate

Feb 8, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #429 of 872
Was thinking of getting one (just missed out on the last one on Amazon :frowning2: ) but was wondering if I should get the FD1 as well? Looks like I'd have to order the FD1 direct through Hiby (any idea of how long their shipping usually is?) so I guess I'd probably just order both from there if need be, assuming it's recommended to get both that is.

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #430 of 872
Was thinking of getting one (just missed out on the last one on Amazon :frowning2: ) but was wondering if I should get the FD1 as well? Looks like I'd have to order the FD1 direct through Hiby (any idea of how long their shipping usually is?) so I guess I'd probably just order both from there if need be, assuming it's recommended to get both that is.

I don't think so.

Feb 9, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #432 of 872
Does anyone know how to add artist and album covers to the music files?

On other android players it just works same files for some reason appear without images on my R2.
I read somewhere that the image file for the album cover has to be named the same as the folder the music files are in. I did that and it works, but I do have a few albums on R2 and R3 that refuse to work. I’m on a Mac and I use an app called Meta to check and adjust metadata like artist etc. That app embeds album cover art in the FLAC file, so I might have several things going on at once here.

Feb 9, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #433 of 872
I read somewhere that the image file for the album cover has to be named the same as the folder the music files are in. I did that and it works, but I do have a few albums on R2 and R3 that refuse to work. I’m on a Mac and I use an app called Meta to check and adjust metadata like artist etc. That app embeds album cover art in the FLAC file, so I might have several things going on at once here.
Here's the HiBy FAQ that says what to do for R3; I've found R2 is the same. Looks like there's also a limit on file size - maybe that's causing the trouble. I stumbled over the file size issue myself, when I set up a custom image for the lock-screen wallpaper on my R3.
https://store.hiby.com/pages/easy-faqs

Feb 10, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #434 of 872
Lucked out and Amazon apparently replenished stock yesterday. Ordered and just got mine in now. Definitely not the best UI lol, but seems solidly built. Only been fiddling with it for about 20 minutes but fortunately I'm not having any issues with the touch screen as of yet, and the buttons still rattle but much less than I expected (at arms length it's barely noticeable if at all if I shake vigorously).

Waiting on my iSine 10's to show up today and I'll dive in and see what it can do soundwise since the only 3.5mm HPs I have are some old HD450BT's that sound horrible.

Feb 10, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #435 of 872

I'll sell you my FD1 if you're interested?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back