HiBy R2 - HiBy's entry-level HiFi digital audio player
Jan 27, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #406 of 872
not to return the player for refund, but to send it in for repair / replacement?

It's usually a problem when dealing with non authorized sellers. We had a similar discussion in R6 2020 and DX300 threads recently.

Jan 27, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #407 of 872
It's usually a problem when dealing with non authorized sellers. We had a similar discussion in R6 2020 and DX300 threads recently.
In that case he can consider sending it in directly to us for repair / replacement out of warranty. We usually charge less than what the couriers charge anyway so it's not much of a loss 😂

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 30, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #409 of 872
The thing that’s special about this DAP is the midrange. It’s really good, and it also has zero hiss w sensitive iems, which a lot of much more expensive DAPs cannot accomplish.

Jan 30, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #410 of 872
My video review about the Hiby R2 is live now! A tiny DAP with a lot of power, good ergonomics, but a lot of reasons to roast it, in today's video including some jokes, music, technical data, and I hope pleasing B-Roll about R2 :)

Cool! Although I think it's pronounced M.S.E.B., or "MageSound Eight-Ball" if you don't like spelling it out 😛

But I'm definitely linking to this ASAP :wink:

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 30, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #411 of 872
Cool! Although I think it's pronounced M.S.E.B., or "MageSound Eight-Ball" if you don't like spelling it out 😛

But I'm definitely linking to this ASAP :wink:

Oh, thanks for the heads-up! :)

I need to work on my pronounciations in general, I get camera shy so I get something like a russian accent... :)

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #413 of 872
I would use the R2 as an on the go player. It would replace a Hidizs AP60II. I'd like to survey the R2 owners here.
Are you satisfied with the R2? .......yes, strong yes, no, or strong no?
Thanks.

Jan 31, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #415 of 872
I would use the R2 as an on the go player. It would replace a Hidizs AP60II. I'd like to survey the R2 owners here.
Thanks.
Passable if you're using wired earphones. They're good with my Etymotic ER3 XR. You have to be willing to forgive somewhat poor build quality and a less than perfect but still functional UI. A strong no if your intended use is with anything requiring bluetooth.

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #416 of 872
Thanks.
Strong yes for me..as Im using it as transport for Fiio Q5 TC..both direct and BT connections are working great

Feb 4, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #419 of 872
Thanks.

I'm having a few issues that I reported directly to Hiby's customer service. I'm reproducing here both my email and their reply:

***MY EMAIL***

Hi there, I finally got my set (R2+FD1+beans) and for the most part I'm satisfied with the product.
Still, in order to help you to solve the issues I'm about to report, I must say that there are a few things that disappointed me:

- The poor WiFi range:
With my Poco f2 pro phone I can basically go anywhere around the house without any signal drops but with the R2 that's not the case at all. I have to stick around the living room where my router is installed. Once you get a signal drop I have to move closer to the living room and despite the WiFi indicator then showing it's getting the signal, Tidal doesn't work and I get a few error messages. If I reboot the device everything goes back to normal.

- Quirky connection with FD1:
If I turn on R2 with FD1 already hooked up, FD1 doesn't work. With R2 turned on I have to disconnect FD1 and reconnect it in its USB C port.

Don't know if these are firmware issues or if unluckily both my devices are defective but they definitely need some ironing out.
Nonetheless it's a cool set of gadgets with great potential.
I await for your feedback.

***HIBY'S REPLY***

Thank you for your email.

Just a gentle reminder that higher-quality Bluetooth codecs, such as LDAC, Aptx, and UAT, have higher requirements for the signal environment. It's not only related to the transmitter, but also to the receiver and distance. If you want to make the signal more stable in some usage situations or test the signal strength, you can choose a lower Bluetooth decoding, such as "SBC".

The HiBy R2 supports 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi, It's recommended to disable the Wi-fi function when not of use, or use the 5Ghz. Except for the difference of the network band itself, to ensure that the high sound quality of the audio player is not disturbed, the audio device usually has shielding, and the shielding of the device will have some impact on the signal. This is why the audio player's WiFi signal is lower than the smartphone's signal. This ubiquitous problem will also be where we need to optimize and enhance in the future.

Regarding the FD1 connection issue, it may not be detected, so you can disconnect and then connect to fast detect it.

Let me just point out Hiby's quick reply so points for their customer service.

I'm hoping these issues will be addressed in further firmware updates

Feb 4, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #420 of 872
Thanks.
So far, the responses have been generally positive. The negatives concern the bluetooth and wifi range.......both of these are of little importance for my use. If anyone else want to chime in, whether positive or negative, please do so. Although not necessary, if you have an alternative to the R2 that you would recommend for me to consider, I'd appreciate that as well.

Also, if there is a new dap on the horizon (i.e. before this summer) that might interest me, let me know.

Thanks to those that have responded and to those that will respond.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back