HiBy Link feature for Shanling M1 & M2s & M3s - Wireless control for your DAP
Aug 15, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #61 of 127
Hi Shanling - loving the M1 and in particular the remote control feature using HiBy.

Is there anywhere in particular we should send feature requests? Can you forward requests to the development team, or is there an email/alternative contact route?

Aug 15, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #62 of 127
Hi Shanling - loving the M1 and in particular the remote control feature using HiBy.

Is there anywhere in particular we should send feature requests? Can you forward requests to the development team, or is there an email/alternative contact route?

Representatives of Hiby are present here, so posting should be good. We also give feedback to HiBy.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 15, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #63 of 127
Representatives of Hiby are present here, so posting should be good. We also give feedback to HiBy.

Good to hear :)

So my main requests for consideration would be;

A homescreen widget (also usable on the lockscreen), with simple Play/Pause, skip Fwd/Bck, and album art pic (clickable to bring you back into the app) - unless I've missed something I don't think that's available at the moment. Very similar to what is currently in the notification tray.

Sorting/listing options - for example, currently when you enter the "Artist" section you are presented with all tracks - I can click to set to album view, but would prefer if I could set album view as default, or for the app to remember the last option from previous uses (I would always prefer the album view - others may prefer single track view).

Local caching/downloading of album art would also be cool if possible.

Thanks for keeping an ear to the ground, it's great to see!

Aug 20, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #64 of 127
Editing this since I'm figuring out how things work. So this is just mirroring what's on the player which I knew ahead of time. But even though the interface is on my phone, I can't listen to it on my phone's speaker. I have to plug or connect a headset or speaker to the player. This is a little annoying. Just another thing to carry and use if all I'm doing is maintenance type things like creating a playlist. Headset might be charging somewhere which is most likely the case or the wired pair is in my gym bag or car.

I also can't change the song order of the playlist which is extremely annoying. I can do this on every music app on my phone. If I'm creating a playlist for my class they need to play in a specific order, but I don't choose them in order. I create them around certain songs and build from there. Or if I'm creating a playlist for a long run or workout, I'll pick them and then arrange them in the order I want. Having to know what I want in chronological order is a royal pain.

And is there a reason why the album art only shows on the little now playing bar at the bottom and not in the list? I only see the little note pic regardless of whether or not there is album art.

Shouldn't numbered tracks precede alphabetical in the Title list? All the other music apps I've used (at least five) start with numbered tracks and then go to A, B, C.... Also holds true for WMP and other Windows programs. Yours is the first I've seen that moves them to after Z. Another little annoyance, well a big one for me since 99% of my playlist creation is with numbered titles.

Also, I can't see the Album name when I'm under Title. Any way to change the layout on our end? Not that I can see. And you can't even see the album name when you go to full screen. Just shows the Title and Artist.Some of my albums don't have album art so I don't know what the album is unless the name actually shows.

So I like the idea of the enhanced interface via the phone giving more control of configuring music on the player, but for me there seems to be some UI annoyances as well as the need to have my headphones handy which hamper things a bit. The biggest annoyance is not being able to reorder the songs in the playlist. To me, this is a big oversight as every player I use on android from JetAudio's to WMP (not to mention all windows programs) allows you to edit the playlist once it's made. Now I have to create the playlist in JetAudio then redo it on HiBy to get it on my player. Just seems more time consuming than anything. And I feel like I just wasted all this time making the playlist on the app since I have to do it again in the proper order, then delete the wrong order one and rename the new one that's in proper order.

Side notes, i like the now playing screen. Like the circular elapsed time. Looks clean and modern over the typical bar.

And is there any way I can import a system playlist on my phone to the M1 through the HiBy app? Honestly, the playlist creation was one of the big features for me in going with the M1, but the inability to reorder tracks is a big let down.

And what the hell? I created a 2nd playlist and added tracks in the number order I needed from the out of order 1st playlist. I then went to delete the first playlist and it deleted both of them. I just wasted all this time creating my playlist for nothing. I am so frustrated. At the shore, trying to go for a run and hit the beach, and I'm still sitting here fiddling. smh.

another edit... looks like a visual glitch. I deleted the one and both disappeared. I then backed out and went back in and there it was again. Scared the crap out of me that it might have deleted both. So maybe change that quick rant to maybe there is a UI glitch. If anyone wants to see if you're in the playlist list page and go to delete a playlist. Does it show like it deleted them all right after? To test I just created an empty playlist, went to delete it, and the visual shows deleting both. You have to back out and go back in to see your remaining playlists. So that's something that needs to get fixed. I can breath a little easier now. Time to go for a run and vent the frustration of playing with this app for the first time.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #65 of 127
Editing this since I'm figuring out how things work. So this is just mirroring what's on the player which I knew ahead of time. But even though the interface is on my phone, I can't listen to it on my phone's speaker. I have to plug or connect a headset or speaker to the player. This is a little annoying. Just another thing to carry and use if all I'm doing is maintenance type things like creating a playlist. Headset might be charging somewhere which is most likely the case or the wired pair is in my gym bag or car.

Sure it might be nice to make a playlist on you phone and have it who up on you M1, but that just isn't how it set up. They are treated as two separate devices, which has it's own advantages. I don't think it's unreasonable to have your M1 connected to make it's playlist or to have to connect you headset connected to create playlist for the M1.

I also can't change the song order of the playlist which is extremely annoying. I can do this on every music app on my phone. If I'm creating a playlist for my class they need to play in a specific order, but I don't choose them in order. I create them around certain songs and build from there. Or if I'm creating a playlist for a long run or workout, I'll pick them and then arrange them in the order I want. Having to know what I want in chronological order is a royal pain.

And is there a reason why the album art only shows on the little now playing bar at the bottom and not in the list? I only see the little note pic regardless of whether or not there is album art.

Shouldn't numbered tracks precede alphabetical in the Title list? All the other music apps I've used (at least five) start with numbered tracks and then go to A, B, C.... Also holds true for WMP and other Windows programs. Yours is the first I've seen that moves them to after Z. Another little annoyance, well a big one for me since 99% of my playlist creation is with numbered titles.

Also, I can't see the Album name when I'm under Title. Any way to change the layout on our end? Not that I can see. And you can't even see the album name when you go to full screen. Just shows the Title and Artist.Some of my albums don't have album art so I don't know what the album is unless the name actually shows.

So I like the idea of the enhanced interface via the phone giving more control of configuring music on the player, but for me there seems to be some UI annoyances as well as the need to have my headphones handy which hamper things a bit. The biggest annoyance is not being able to reorder the songs in the playlist. To me, this is a big oversight as every player I use on android from JetAudio's to WMP (not to mention all windows programs) allows you to edit the playlist once it's made. Now I have to create the playlist in JetAudio then redo it on HiBy to get it on my player. Just seems more time consuming than anything. And I feel like I just wasted all this time making the playlist on the app since I have to do it again in the proper order, then delete the wrong order one and rename the new one that's in proper order.

Side notes, i like the now playing screen. Like the circular elapsed time. Looks clean and modern over the typical bar.

And is there any way I can import a system playlist on my phone to the M1 through the HiBy app? Honestly, the playlist creation was one of the big features for me in going with the M1, but the inability to reorder tracks is a big let down.

And what the hell? I created a 2nd playlist and added tracks in the number order I needed from the out of order 1st playlist. I then went to delete the first playlist and it deleted both of them. I just wasted all this time creating my playlist for nothing. I am so frustrated. At the shore, trying to go for a run and hit the beach, and I'm still sitting here fiddling. smh.

another edit... looks like a visual glitch. I deleted the one and both disappeared. I then backed out and went back in and there it was again. Scared the crap out of me that it might have deleted both. So maybe change that quick rant to maybe there is a UI glitch. If anyone wants to see if you're in the playlist list page and go to delete a playlist. Does it show like it deleted them all right after? To test I just created an empty playlist, went to delete it, and the visual shows deleting both. You have to back out and go back in to see your remaining playlists. So that's something that needs to get fixed. I can breath a little easier now. Time to go for a run and vent the frustration of playing with this app for the first time.

Remember this app is in beta and will take time to mature. It may or may not get some of the things you ask, either way it will take time.

I for one think it's a fantastic concept and very much like the ability to control my DAP, even it this early stage.

Aug 20, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #66 of 127
Sure it might be nice to make a playlist on you phone and have it who up on you M1, but that just isn't how it set up. They are treated as two separate devices, which has it's own advantages. I don't think it's unreasonable to have your M1 connected to make it's playlist or to have to connect you headset connected to create playlist for the M1.

Remember this app is in beta and will take time to mature. It may or may not get some of the things you ask, either way it will take time.

I for one think it's a fantastic concept and very much like the ability to control my DAP, even it this early stage.
Don't get me wrong, I do love the concept, but not being able to reorder the tracks is a huge omission, even in beta as it is a basic function of music apps these days. Until this gets fixed, cresting a playlist will always be a two step process. Create the initial one to decide what you want in the playlist, then a 2nd one that actually has the playlist in the correct order.

I'm guessing they just mimic the track order of Shanling's UI, so I can't blame HiBy for putting g numbered track titles at the end of the alphabet rather than before the beginning like how everyone else treats them.

The music being able to play through the phone's speaker would be a nice option as the app matures. It is called a music player after all. It's not just a remote app. And if you don't register complaints, they don't know what you want to see to add functionality. As you said it is beta. There is much room for improvement on what is a unique and welcome concept.

Another cool idea would be simple Bluetooth or usb file transfer. I haven't tried a Usb-c to Usb-c with the phone. But if I can create the playlist in jetaudio and just copy it to the M1 via ES file explorer, I wouldn't even need HiBy.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #67 of 127
Good to hear :)

Local caching/downloading of album art would also be cool if possible.

I know it was planned for HiBy app to show all the cover arts while browsing music, hopefully we will get it soon from HiBy.

I'm guessing they just mimic the track order of Shanling's UI, so I can't blame HiBy for putting g numbered track titles at the end of the alphabet rather than before the beginning like how everyone else treats them.

The music being able to play through the phone's speaker would be a nice option as the app matures. It is called a music player after all. It's not just a remote app. And if you don't register complaints, they don't know what you want to see to add functionality. As you said it is beta. There is much room for improvement on what is a unique and welcome concept.

Regarding order of files, this change came from HiBY in their latest firmware.

HiBy Link was created mainly as remote UI for DAPs and app and bluetooth connection it uses is set up for that. It was never intended for direct streaming of music from palyer to phone output. If you want to play music from your phone, HIBymusic works great for that.

To the rest of your feedback, maybe some functions will be added, some will not. App is still in its Beta, so a lot can change.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 20, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #68 of 127
I know it was planned for HiBy app to show all the cover arts while browsing music, hopefully we will get it soon from HiBy.

Regarding order of files, this change came from HiBY in their latest firmware.

HiBy Link was created mainly as remote UI for DAPs and app and bluetooth connection it uses is set up for that. It was never intended for direct streaming of music from palyer to phone output. If you want to play music from your phone, HIBymusic works great for that.

To the rest of your feedback, maybe some functions will be added, some will not. App is still in its Beta, so a lot can change.
All good. I don't know why they would go against how everyone else orders music. Numbers generally come before letters. Weird to go against the grain there. Do hope the ability to change track order is implemented. Otherwise I'll just hope direct transfers are possible going Usb-c to Usb-c to the phone. Assuming the M1 can read a playlist copied over from my phone. Seems like it'd be much easier to make a playlist on the app if your choice and then connect the USB cable and transfer it over. My music on the phone mimics what's on the player so I would think it should work. Then I'd have access to the playlist on my phone and player. Though if you implemented that cue/play once feature as a playing option, I'd have less need for my phone. One can only hope. :)

Sep 1, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #70 of 127
Fresh owner of a M2S , i'm using the HiBy Link to edit my playlist .
I would like to know if it's possible to add 2 features for playlist editing ?

- Sort by name ;
- Change track position in a playlist (up or down) like Samsung Music app on android phone ;

Thanks !

Sep 18, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #73 of 127
Hi All (especially @Shanling and HiBy) :)

I have found out one issue which is very uncomfortable for me... :triportsad:

I have connected another SDXC card via OTG cable and M2s is browsing / playing files from this media without any problem. In HiByMusic app, in Folder section there is a new disk visible, called "b" (I assume it should be OTG drive) but there are no files inside this drive (you can see it on the screenshot below -> Total 0 B, 0 B remaining). In the same time file which is being played has different file path (it starting from \c\... not \b\...) and this is the problem I think - OTG drive seems to be visible as "c" in the Folder section. Can someone correct the source of HiByMusic to solve it? I think it is not very big job, but for me (and maybe for others) it would be VERY HELPFUL... :L3000:

001.jpg
002.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #74 of 127
Hi All (especially @Shanling and HiBy) :)

I have found out one issue which is very uncomfortable for me... :triportsad:

I have connected another SDXC card via OTG cable and M2s is browsing / playing files from this media without any problem. In HiByMusic app, in Folder section there is a new disk visible, called "b" (I assume it should be OTG drive) but there are no files inside this drive (you can see it on the screenshot below -> Total 0 B, 0 B remaining). In the same time file which is being played has different file path (it starting from \c\... not \b\...) and this is the problem I think - OTG drive seems to be visible as "c" in the Folder section. Can someone correct the source of HiByMusic to solve it? I think it is not very big job, but for me (and maybe for others) it would be VERY HELPFUL... :L3000:

Thank you for this discovery, will report the problem!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back