Hiby FC6 - another R-2R USB dongle
May 20, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #166 of 472
Funny that's exactly the same kind of reply when L&P was questioned by many W4 users for the W4's power supply issue on 8 Gen 2 - First, they said Qualcomm needed to bring a fix because the issue is caused by how 8 Gen 2 behaved with USB devices, but then L&P developed (*in a week!!!) a fix on their own anyway - and now W4 has no issue with 8 Gen 2 anymore.

Guess I am just very unlucky type of person as I have 20+ USB dongles and FC6 is currently the only one affected by this nonconformance, or perhaps I should have just learned my lesson and moved on? Hmm...
Of course when Qualcomm builds a railway off a cliff, everyone is going to try to drive off it and pretend nothing's wrong. That's what we're trying to do too--actually thought we've been doing ok since fc4. Still doesn't mean you should blame us when we don't manage it. And you have corroboration from L&P on this issue.

That said, our dev has a smartphone with the same chipset as yours and have not yet caught the issue in action. He thought he was looking for something a little regular and prominent than "sometime has some random fainted clicking noise" (in non exclusive mode--when he asked "why is he not using exclusive mode?" I said "well as you know nonexclusive mode allows multiple simultaneous streams. I'm sure he has a good use for that.")

Here's our dev reporting exactly what I told you:

Screenshot_2023-05-21-00-16-51-322_com.tencent.mm-edit.jpg

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 20, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #167 of 472
... so I guess my FC6 belongs to the dumpster then. Thankfully I can afford a $300 lesson.

This is just lovely.

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #168 of 472
... so I guess my FC6 belongs to the dumpster then. Thankfully I can afford a $300 lessen.

This is just lovely.
Whoever's fault it was, I didn't say we've given up. We're still working on isolating the issue especially since we thought we'd licked this reverse-compatibility issue since the FC4. I've pointed the dev to look for some random fainted clicking noise sometime in non-exclusive mode when he goes back to work next Monday.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 20, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #169 of 472
It's currently not switchable in and of itself on the FC6. Sorry about that.

On the RS6, where it *is* switchable, it had been reported to be an issue on some electrostatic headphones, starting here
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hiby-rs6-android-dap-snapdragon-660-4-64gb-5”-full-hd-darwin-r2r-fir-nos-mqa-16x-copper-chassis.958878/post-17367435

Hence the suggestion, although, it's obviously not currently implementable in and of itself, sorry about that.

I had a chat with headquarters about possibly having it toggle-able by itself in a future update, but first let's see if it is indeed the culprit.

Regarding my lack of contribution, I've been working this past week on a new processor for our R android players that will literally revolutionize how anyone listens to music and talk about Pace, Rhythm, Attack, Timing, dynamics, etc. etc. Your headphones not sounding dynamic enough? Press this button and turn this knob! This track flogged to death by the loudness war? Press this button and turn this knob to bring it back to life! The solution to global warming, world hunger and everything in audio? Press this button and turn this knob! I believe me and our company can be cut some slack for this.
Cool story about your new dap processor, but a little self-centered isn't it. Everybody is busy with work and has challenges at work, there's no slack to be cut for taking people's money and selling them broken product. Do you think I care about your new player if your team can't even get a dongle right? There are users that have spent hundreds of bucks on your top-of-the-line dongle that's not working properly. So maybe you should consider pausing the work on your revolutionary new processor and make sure your current product works OK.

I mean, thank you very much for reply. I originally reported this issue on April 27. You didn't bother replying to it at all until other users chimed in and reported the same issue. Have you actually used fc6 yourself? Besides the fact you don't know hdr mode is not togglable, you're claiming the issue is related to hdr mode. For your reference, hdr mode doesn't turn on/display when mqa is played. And yet, the same static issue occurs in os/mqa combination without hdr. So looks like your engineers dropped the ball somewhere else, not hdr.

Looking forward to a concrete update regarding how exactly hiby is going to solve the static noise issue in os mode.

May 21, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #170 of 472
You didn't bother replying to it at all until other users chimed in and reported the same issue.

Much as I would like to tout the FC6, I was not told that it is supposed to have a dead black noise floor with any and all earphones.

Your wrote a one liner saying there was static in OS mode. It is not unusual for people with sensitive ears to hear some static using sensitive IEMs from an amplifier, under ANY mode. I did not see any suggestion there that you were hearing anything other than the usual noise floor using highly sensitive IEMs with highly sensitive ears. Also, at the time there was the issue with the mis-documented firmware update to take care of while the headquarters team was on holiday.

Regarding use of the FC6, no, I have never clapped eyes on an FC6 here in Melbourne, Australia. I usually get sent digital audio players to work out their full functionality. Usually I do not receive USB dongles because they are just meant to plug and play. In light of the current situation, we have made an exception in this case and one will be on its way to me from China tomorrow.

Hopefully I will have an update for you soon.

Last edited:

May 22, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #171 of 472
Much as I would like to tout the FC6, I was not told that it is supposed to have a dead black noise floor with any and all earphones.

Your wrote a one liner saying there was static in OS mode. It is not unusual for people with sensitive ears to hear some static using sensitive IEMs from an amplifier, under ANY mode. I did not see any suggestion there that you were hearing anything other than the usual noise floor using highly sensitive IEMs with highly sensitive ears. Also, at the time there was the issue with the mis-documented firmware update to take care of while the headquarters team was on holiday.

Regarding use of the FC6, no, I have never clapped eyes on an FC6 here in Melbourne, Australia. I usually get sent digital audio players to work out their full functionality. Usually I do not receive USB dongles because they are just meant to plug and play. In light of the current situation, we have made an exception in this case and one will be on its way to me from China tomorrow.

Hopefully I will have an update for you soon.
Hope you like fc6 😉

I guess I was waiting for other users to comment if they have the same issue as well. I'm not trying to troll the thread with repeated complaints either. Besides the static os issue, I generally like the unit and have commented accordingly.

Anyway, as long as the issues get resolved I think everyone will be content. Although I am not experiencing the clicking issue with my s23 with sd 8 gen 2 used in exclusive mode, I hope that gets looked into as well as reported by others. Keep us updated.

May 23, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #172 of 472
Manufacturer specs:

FC6:
>SNR: 117dB.
>DNR: 105dB.
>Crosstalk: 72dB.

Cayin RU6
>SNR: 113dB.
>DNR: 110dB.

Now looking at RU6's measurements here, they're far worse both dynamic range and sinad, the reviewer was baffled on the large discrepancy between manufacturer provided and his https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/cayin-ru6/. Also on another forum the measurements were at atrocious.. I wonder if the FC6 does better in that respect - I don't necessarily mind a little treble roll off up top as long as other aspects are engineered well.

It is a bit disappointing that we are getting quite a few new R2R products with 0.1% resistors - the error is just too much for well engineered R2R converter- at minimum should be at 0.05%
However even my Hiby RS6 has 0.1% resistors- Hiby are doing something to help with that (unlike Cayin), their Darwin network compensates for errors which is why I think they are one of the few if not only one that can kind of get away with 0.1% (although not completely as seen in RS8 which has 0.01% i believe - there improvements to be had even with Darwin)

I haven't heard the FC6, but from having used the RS6 extensively I'm hopeful we have the same principles applied + the discrete amplification stage OPA1622 (similar to RS6) should help. This might be the reason why I'm reading that it sound smoother/better defined over RU6.

I appreciate what Hiby are doing with their headphone amplification lately - instead of focusing on loudness they chose to focus on quality (also on R6 II Pro player) - lot of the time we really dont need more than 100mw especially on dongles.. For HD800S and Audeze I will never drive them out of a dongle as they sound crap no matter how loud the dongle goes. Don't let the 100mw and 3.5mm deter you - if Hiby are focusing on quality over quantity like their R6 II pro player then it'll be better than having a cheap 500mw 4.4mm output. Anyhow the proof is in the pudding so until I hear the FC6 this is all speculation.

I'd love to see DSP in terms of convolution/eq on the FC6 - they're already two steps ahead with their awesome global DSP plugins on their DAPs that include MSEB and convolution.. how awesome would it be if we had something similar on the dongle! an R2R Qudelix?

One area I'd like to see Hiby improve is customer support - they're quite good already @Joe Bloggs is great at engaging with consumers and helping them in all kinds of techie endeavours (convolution plugin anyone). However, Hiby can be a bit slow with releasing bug fixes - my RS6 still has issues with sample rates and usb dac mode over a year and they can't fix it. It is also concerning reading about the slow bugfixes with Qualcomm issue - I'd like to see more software focus, more devs - this stuff is important and results in customer retention.

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #173 of 472
Manufacturer specs:

FC6:
>SNR: 117dB.
>DNR: 105dB.
>Crosstalk: 72dB.

Cayin RU6
>SNR: 113dB.
>DNR: 110dB.

Now looking at RU6's measurements here, they're far worse both dynamic range and sinad, the reviewer was baffled on the large discrepancy between manufacturer provided and his https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/cayin-ru6/. Also on another forum the measurements were at atrocious.. I wonder if the FC6 does better in that respect - I don't necessarily mind a little treble roll off up top as long as other aspects are engineered well.

It is a bit disappointing that we are getting quite a few new R2R products with 0.1% resistors - the error is just too much for well engineered R2R converter- at minimum should be at 0.05%
However even my Hiby RS6 has 0.1% resistors- Hiby are doing something to help with that (unlike Cayin), their Darwin network compensates for errors which is why I think they are one of the few if not only one that can kind of get away with 0.1% (although not completely as seen in RS8 which has 0.01% i believe - there improvements to be had even with Darwin)

I haven't heard the FC6, but from having used the RS6 extensively I'm hopeful we have the same principles applied + the discrete amplification stage OPA1622 (similar to RS6) should help. This might be the reason why I'm reading that it sound smoother/better defined over RU6.

I appreciate what Hiby are doing with their headphone amplification lately - instead of focusing on loudness they chose to focus on quality (also on R6 II Pro player) - lot of the time we really dont need more than 100mw especially on dongles.. For HD800S and Audeze I will never drive them out of a dongle as they sound crap no matter how loud the dongle goes. Don't let the 100mw and 3.5mm deter you - if Hiby are focusing on quality over quantity like their R6 II pro player then it'll be better than having a cheap 500mw 4.4mm output. Anyhow the proof is in the pudding so until I hear the FC6 this is all speculation.

I'd love to see DSP in terms of convolution/eq on the FC6 - they're already two steps ahead with their awesome global DSP plugins on their DAPs that include MSEB and convolution.. how awesome would it be if we had something similar on the dongle! an R2R Qudelix?

One area I'd like to see Hiby improve is customer support - they're quite good already @Joe Bloggs is great at engaging with consumers and helping them in all kinds of techie endeavours (convolution plugin anyone). However, Hiby can be a bit slow with releasing bug fixes - my RS6 still has issues with sample rates and usb dac mode over a year and they can't fix it. It is also concerning reading about the slow bugfixes with Qualcomm issue - I'd like to see more software focus, more devs - this stuff is important and results in customer retention.
With regard to whether our performance numbers are genuine, I have to say, of course we believe they are, otherwise we wouldn't be posting them.

I guess in my position my words don't carry much weight (since the point is to suspect what is officially claimed) but there you go.

With regard to @ClieOS 's issue, we have been unable to reproduce it using a smartphone with the same SoC. Short of buying the exact model to test out (which we can't do for every report of issue out there, otherwise we'd end up with the majority of all smartphone models in the world in our HQ if we had the money for it), there is no way to see what exactly is going on.

The actual issue, is that this SoC handles asynchronous audio incorrectly, in that it does not handle reports of required timing corrections properly and will in fact glitch out in response to correctly framed reports. We had to "fix" the issue by dropping all such reports altogether when this SoC is detected. Exclusive mode is not affected.

As you can imagine, this is not a complete fix, as the smartphone clock and dongle clock are then free to drift until buffer over / underruns happen. A click would then happen. This would happen very infrequently if the two clocks are well matched (as would be the case if both clocks are close to spec), but frequently if not. In this regard, we are not highly likely to find anything new about the situation or even reproduce the problem, even if we did go out and buy the same model @ClieOS is using.

Judging by how according to @ClieOS "every other dongle works fine", I'm ready to assume the worst in that his copy of the FC6 has a clock out of spec and have offered him a full refund, (have actually offered this since day 1) but have yet to hear from him.

May 26, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #174 of 472
Hope you like fc6 😉

I guess I was waiting for other users to comment if they have the same issue as well. I'm not trying to troll the thread with repeated complaints either. Besides the static os issue, I generally like the unit and have commented accordingly.

Anyway, as long as the issues get resolved I think everyone will be content. Although I am not experiencing the clicking issue with my s23 with sd 8 gen 2 used in exclusive mode, I hope that gets looked into as well as reported by others. Keep us updated.
Two questions

1. What's the model of your smartphone and models of earphones under which you hear the background noise
2. Are you using exclusive mode or not (as I read an early post of yours saying you can't)

May 27, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #175 of 472
Judging by how according to @ClieOS "every other dongle works fine", I'm ready to assume the worst in that his copy of the FC6 has a clock out of spec and have offered him a full refund, (have actually offered this since day 1) but have yet to hear from him.

I don't need a refund. Consider it a small price well paid never to stray onto the wrong path ever again on the audiophile journey.

May 27, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #177 of 472
I don't need a refund. Consider it a small price well paid never to stray onto the wrong path ever again on the audiophile journey.
So, what now? You're going to go everywhere telling everyone what a ripoff HiBy is when I've offered you a full refund all along? What's your problem?

And you will hold this thread hostage?

Hostage in exchange for what, exactly?

Last edited:

May 27, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #178 of 472
So, what now? You're going to go everywhere telling everyone what a ripoff HiBy is when I've offered you a full refund all along? What's your problem?

May I suggest a Hiby RS8 gift to make things right with the unsatisfied customer… :)

But seriously - anyone compared the FC6 with RS6 with iems? - i don’t expect it to match the sound quality ofcourse but i know the RS6 so well as a baseline a comparison would be very helpful

Last edited:
May 27, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #179 of 472
If I'm not using Tidal or playing any high res tracks should I update the firmware? it's PITA to update it so should I bother?

May 27, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #180 of 472

First and foremost, I am your customer, like it or not.

Secondly, this is my thread. You can start your own if you wish.

Lastly, I am entitled to either priase or crap on any product I spent my money on as long as it is my honest opinion / user's experience, and that is not against the forum's rules.

Tell me I am wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back