Hiby FC6 - another R-2R USB dongle
Mar 4, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #46 of 419
Really, let it go lol. I'm just saying it's possible to get use and adapter if you don't have regular 3.5 cables. It doesn't have 4.4, and no amount of whining is going to change that. Maybe it was because of space constraints, maybe they just wanted to concentrate on 3.5 out. Idk, but there's a simple solution- don't buy it! As far as an adapter I have multiple iems and cables so I just keep it connected if I'm using a 3.5 source with that iem for a while.

And there are times when the balanced out is better than the 3.5 jack on a dap, in case that's been my experience. That's why I have many balanced cables. But there are times obviously when something has a really good old fashioned 3.5 out. Then I've got my adapters if I don't want to use a normal cable. Honestly it's not any more trouble than disconnecting and connecting your USB to its source. It literally takes a second or two.

Anyways buy a cayin then, this is the second time you mentioned this. Or if you have one and are happy with it- why are you here? I mean I just don't get the point of it? You think it's overpriced? OK, you don't want to carry or remember an adapter lol, OK. Sounds like this isn't the dongle for you.
Whilst the following doesn't apply to me, there maybe people who are Tidal HiFi subscribers and/or own a significant digital library of MQA albums and they would inevitably benefit from the MQA rendering R2R architecture of the Hiby FC6. Otherwise an extra 90 bucks doesn't seem justified for the the tiniest marginal improvement the FC6 may make over the RU6 (as mentioned in Andy's ratings (RU6 v FC6 v Centrance Dacport HD)).

As for the 3.5 v 4.4, if Andy managed to run his HiFiMan Planars then this proves the FC6 has ample power as this headphone used to be the gold standard in terms of testing driving power. The 4.4 on the RU6 improves crossover accuracy for both L and R channels, but don't get me wrong the 3.5 gives more than enough juice to my 250Ω DT 880 Pros when set in High Gain mode, so how much juice do you actually require? Especially for on the go, which is a box that ALL dongles aspire to tick. Not to mention that the RU6 was mainly designed to power IEMs, so it's an added bonus that it can drive some power hungry headphones without clipping (and a much welcomed bonus at that).

If you're still arguing for more then it maybe more beneficial for you to shop for a decent desktop stack system.

80 more? I paid 250.00 for my Ru6.

Mar 4, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #47 of 419
80 more? I paid 250.00 for my Ru6.
Approximation based on my purchase at £180 ~ $220. $300 - $220 = $80. This will obviously have a margin for error based on fluctuating prices for different demographics, different shipping charges, etc. However, this wasn't the main point I was trying to make.

Mar 4, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #48 of 419
Approximation based on my purchase at £180 ~ $220. $300 - $220 = $80. This will obviously have a margin for error based on fluctuating prices for different demographics, different shipping charges, etc. However, this wasn't the main point I was trying to make.

Just saying, for us US folks it's 250 bucks. Can't even get it on Amazon here. But anyways yes it's still more but if it sounds a bit better and has mqa that's nice. I also like the smaller size. But the cayin is certainly a better value.

I'm basically checking it out for my own curiosity. It will have to sound really good for me to keep it. Sometimes music teck has 'used like new' for like 225.00 - ru6 that it.

Mar 4, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #49 of 419
The real proof of output power (or actual performance) is to have it tested with an audio analyzer, preferably third party. It is nice to have someone tested with certain headphone but as we all know, human hearing isn't exactly a precision instrument and can be easily fooled by various bias. I have seen it too many times where something that were praised highly just turn out to be mostly self-hypnosis by the reviewer. Not saying it needs to measure the best, which generally is not possible on a R-2R DAC when compared to Sigma-Delta DAC, just that it should at least have some solid number. RU6 for an example measured decently.

Mar 4, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #50 of 419
For output power I agree. But me personally I've enjoyed stuff that measures so so by today's standards like not 128 snr or whatever, but measured 107 db snr, like a Sony for example. I don't like hiss though, so if there's too much it's a no no.

But yes power output definitely and linearity across the frequency with load are important. I don't have anything too demanding so I'm not worried about the output myself. But yes you never know till you try something yourself.

I read stuff in reviews all the time that is 180° of what I'm hearing. Like I just read a review of the dc03 pro and they thought it sounded clinical. To my ears it sounds warmish, any bassy iems I have sound a bit muddy with it, with recessed (slightly) mids. But that's also probably dependant on gear being used of course, but I would never call it clinical sounding. But that's how they're hearing it.

But I've definitely listened to some stuff that was supposed to be stellar and was disappointed 😞 It wasn't my cup of tea as they say. Another thing I'm curious of is how much battery is this thing going to suck. That makes me think of another crazy review where someone said they only got 90 minutes of playtime on their Samsung phone using earmen sparrow, I got 10 or 11 hours I think. Maybe phone battery was going or sparrow was defective idk.

Mar 4, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #52 of 419
It's not that much trouble- DD hifi makes good adapters or they can be had for 9 or 10 dollars depending on what you're looking for. Search Amazon pick and order and you're done.

Tons of high end full size headphones don't come balanced. Or with balanced cables. Iems yeah if you've got balanced cables, we all do all mine are balanced , it's easy to change them with and adapter if you want to check something out that's 3.5. Like oldies but goldies like Calyx M for instance, dated but still one of the best sounding.

Anyways obviously there's no 4.4 on this dongle, and I'm sure there's technical reasons for it. Maybe on version 2? Just saying it's easy peasy to get an adapter. Probably easier than going to Starbucks for coffee ☕

Mar 6, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #53 of 419
R-2R much?

PSX_20230306_212129.jpg

Mar 6, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #58 of 419
So far it is overall positive. I find a bug (?) when it is paired with my Sony Xperia 1 IV where it sometime has some random fainted clicking noise, but I can't reproduced it on PC or other devices so I am not 100% sure whether it is caused by FC6 or my Xperia 1 IV. Already reported to Hiby and they will look into it. That aside, FC6 sounds rather clean as a R-2R DAC. It doesn't sound quite as analog / R-2R'ish / warmish as RU6, but also not quite as clean / cold as you will get from a Delta-Sigma. I think it strikes a good middle ground. The big color screen looks really nice, which is where I guess the money is.

Mar 6, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #59 of 419
So far it is overall positive. I find a bug (?) when it is paired with my Sony Xperia 1 IV where it sometime has some random fainted clicking noise, but I can't reproduced it on PC or other devices so I am not 100% sure whether it is caused by FC6 or my Xperia 1 IV. Already reported to Hiby and they will look into it. That aside, FC6 sounds rather clean as a R-2R DAC. It doesn't sound quite as analog / R-2R'ish / warmish as RU6, but also not quite as clean / cold as you will get from a Delta-Sigma. I think it strikes a good middle ground. The big color screen looks really nice, which is where I guess the money is.

That sounds promising. Probably too early to tell but does it seem to draw alot of power from the phone?

Mar 6, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #60 of 419
That sounds promising. Probably too early to tell but does it seem to draw alot of power from the phone?

Using an volt/amp meter, it would seems it is drawing as much if not a tiny more power than RU6 under the same condition.

Output impedance is calculated to be around 0.6 ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back