HiBy Digital M300 Android Digital Audio Player,"The Gen-Z Music Player" - Discussion thread
Dec 28, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #286 of 614
Bro why don't you do yourself a favour and use another app and see if your tagging problems are alleviated?

Yup. Pretty sure it’s how Hiby player parses the library. That one album with “A&R” for some reason sits in “Allman Brothers Band” while every other album sits in “The Allman Brothers Band”. Used Musicolet tag editor to double check directly on the phone too. Such a weird thing I’ve never had happen before.

First image is how it should be (in PowerAmp)
Second image is from Hiby player

Attachments

• IMG_8484.jpeg
    IMG_8484.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8485.jpeg
    IMG_8485.jpeg
    1,011.7 KB · Views: 0
Dec 28, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #287 of 614
Yup. Pretty sure it’s how Hiby player parses the library. That one album with “A&R” for some reason sits in “Allman Brothers Band” while every other album sits in “The Allman Brothers Band”. Used Musicolet tag editor to double check directly on the phone too. Such a weird thing I’ve never had happen before.

First image is how it should be (in PowerAmp)
Second image is from Hiby player
Or HiByMusic is reading the tags literally and that one album is the only album that lists The Allman Brothers Band in your collection without the "The" while Poweramp ignores the The in front of albums (this is in our requests list, not sure when we'll get to it)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 28, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #288 of 614
Or HiByMusic is reading the tags literally and that one album is the only album that lists The Allman Brothers Band in your collection without the "The" while Poweramp ignores the The in front of albums (this is in our requests list, not sure when we'll get to it)
I'm not so sure about that. I will note that originally when I downloaded the album, the Artist and Album Artist fields were "Allman Brothers Band", but I changed it on my computer to "The Allman Brothers Band" before transferring and Hiby still has a problem with the Album Artist tag with that album. You can see below that the Album Artist tag is correctly filled in on PowerAmp and Musicolet, but Hiby still displays "Allman Brothers Band"

It's localized to Hiby, even after library rescans, and even after a full system Hiby device erase, because I can see the correct tags in every other music app (Swinsian, MP3tag, PowerAmp, Musicolet)

FWIW, i'm much happier using PowerAmp now, so thank you for the clarification on using those apps with Android.

From what I understand, Hiby programmed their implementation of Android 13 to use 192khz sample rate at 24 bit depth and everything else (like Spotify, system sounds) gets upsampled (i.e. no loss in quality) to this to play nicely?

Attachments

• IMG_8486.jpeg
    IMG_8486.jpeg
    985.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8487.jpeg
    IMG_8487.jpeg
    920.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8488.jpeg
    IMG_8488.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #289 of 614
Hey, does anyone know the answers to the following about the M300:

- Does it have bluetooth receiver mode?
- If so, do the hardware buttons work to play/pause/skip the bluetooth source?
- Can the internal speaker be disabled?

Thanks

Dec 28, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #290 of 614
But guess which side my true beliefs lie.
Thanks for the honest feedback. You may not see another Xmas at Hiby if they find out about that post !!! :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
To me, M300 is competent enough to cover 90% of my audio needs, and I’d much rather invest time in plugins/scripts like DR10X10K (love it!) than sh-load of money in super-high end gear.
Cheers !!!

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #291 of 614
your ears stop responding at 20kHz while the player is capable of reproducing highly accurately up to 96kHz, whatever the input sample rate is.
I do want to note that research shows that while high frequencies may be inaudible consciously, there are measurable effects on EEG activity that come from such high frequencies.

"In contrast to this conventional digital recording process in which inaudible high-frequency components are cut off, high-resolution music that retains such components has been repeatedly shown to affect human electroencephalographic (EEG) activity (Oohashi et al., 2000, 2006; Yagi et al., 2003a; Fukushima et al., 2014; Kuribayashi et al., 2014; Ito et al., 2016)."

"The present study examined this possibility by having 22 participants listen to two types of a 400-s musical excerpt of French Suite No. 5 by J. S. Bach (on cembalo, 24-bit quantization, 192 kHz A/D sampling), with or without inaudible high-frequency components, while performing a visual vigilance task. High-alpha (10.5–13 Hz) and low-beta (13–20 Hz) EEG powers were larger for the excerpt with high-frequency components than for the excerpt without them. Reaction times and error rates did not change during the task and were not different between the excerpts. The amplitude of the P3 component elicited by target stimuli in the vigilance task increased in the second half of the listening period for the excerpt with high-frequency components, whereas no such P3 amplitude change was observed for the other excerpt without them. The participants did not distinguish between these excerpts in terms of sound quality. Only a subjective rating of inactive pleasantness after listening was higher for the excerpt with high-frequency components than for the other excerpt. The present study shows that high-resolution audio that retains high-frequency components has an advantage over similar and indistinguishable digital sound sources in which such components are artificially cut off, suggesting that high-resolution audio with inaudible high-frequency components induces a relaxed attentional state without conscious awareness."

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2017.00093/full

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #292 of 614
I absolutely love my m300. Musically it is fine for my needs but I am especially pleased how small/neat/cute it is!! ( compared with some of my other "higher end players".)
My question is simply.....is there/will there be a nice ( hopefully) leather case for the m300? I have always protected my gadgets(!) with decent well made cases. So hoping one is coming soon for the m300? Even though it is quite small I would hope to get a case to fit it. ( even my tiny shanling m0 has a tiny case on!). Thanks. Regards to all headfiers.

Dec 28, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #293 of 614
I do want to note that research shows that while high frequencies may be inaudible consciously, there are measurable effects on EEG activity that come from such high frequencies.

"In contrast to this conventional digital recording process in which inaudible high-frequency components are cut off, high-resolution music that retains such components has been repeatedly shown to affect human electroencephalographic (EEG) activity (Oohashi et al., 2000, 2006; Yagi et al., 2003a; Fukushima et al., 2014; Kuribayashi et al., 2014; Ito et al., 2016)."

"The present study examined this possibility by having 22 participants listen to two types of a 400-s musical excerpt of French Suite No. 5 by J. S. Bach (on cembalo, 24-bit quantization, 192 kHz A/D sampling), with or without inaudible high-frequency components, while performing a visual vigilance task. High-alpha (10.5–13 Hz) and low-beta (13–20 Hz) EEG powers were larger for the excerpt with high-frequency components than for the excerpt without them. Reaction times and error rates did not change during the task and were not different between the excerpts. The amplitude of the P3 component elicited by target stimuli in the vigilance task increased in the second half of the listening period for the excerpt with high-frequency components, whereas no such P3 amplitude change was observed for the other excerpt without them. The participants did not distinguish between these excerpts in terms of sound quality. Only a subjective rating of inactive pleasantness after listening was higher for the excerpt with high-frequency components than for the other excerpt. The present study shows that high-resolution audio that retains high-frequency components has an advantage over similar and indistinguishable digital sound sources in which such components are artificially cut off, suggesting that high-resolution audio with inaudible high-frequency components induces a relaxed attentional state without conscious awareness."

These experiments have nothing with reality. The thing is, HF sound fades out much faster rather LF one (anybody could find tables with concrete fade-out values). So, in natural environment we don't get UHF (ultra HF) sounds at noticeable level.

Unfortunately (and this is another story) sound engineers use near-to-sound-source mics widely resulting in unnatural... result.So, for me presence of UHF components in recording is an artificial and danger distortion (especially if it - being inaudible - influences my brain).

Summing, anything above 48/24 for end user (I don't say about DSP) is just a harmful myth.

Of course, almost everyone thinks otherwise. It's Ok. It's hard to resist massive HI-Res advertising.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #294 of 614
I absolutely love my m300. Musically it is fine for my needs but I am especially pleased how small/neat/cute it is!! ( compared with some of my other "higher end players".)
My question is simply.....is there/will there be a nice ( hopefully) leather case for the m300? I have always protected my gadgets(!) with decent well made cases. So hoping one is coming soon for the m300? Even though it is quite small I would hope to get a case to fit it. ( even my tiny shanling m0 has a tiny case on!). Thanks. Regards to all headfiers.
For the next iteration.

Get read of the mics and the apeakers. I got phone to record audio.

Make it 4 gigs of ram.
All the rest is good.
Add 4.4mm headphone out put.
Bigger battery.

Dec 28, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #295 of 614
These experiments have nothing with reality. The thing is, HF sound fades out much faster rather LF one (anybody could find tables with concrete fade-out values). So, in natural environment we don't get UHF (ultra HF) sounds at noticeable level.

Unfortunately (and this is another story) sound engineers use near-to-sound-source mics widely resulting in unnatural... result.So, for me presence of UHF components in recording is an artificial and danger distortion (especially if it - being inaudible - influences my brain).

Summing, anything above 48/24 for end user (I don't say about DSP) is just a harmful myth.

Of course, almost everyone thinks otherwise. It's Ok. It's hard to resist massive HI-Res advertising.
Interesting and helpful perspective from a sound engineer's standpoint.

I would argue that the nonpresence of UHF components also influences your brain.

Why do you say 48/24? Is this because of the nature of some processing (I'm unfamiliar) in noise-cancelling near-to-sound-source mics, as you mention in your second paragraph?
Why this number and not some smaller number?

Thank you for the knowledge!!

Dec 28, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #296 of 614
Interesting and helpful perspective from a sound engineer's standpoint.

I would argue that the nonpresence of UHF components also influences your brain.

Why do you say 48/24? Is this because of the nature of some processing (I'm unfamiliar) in noise-cancelling near-to-sound-source mics, as you mention in your second paragraph?
Why this number and not some smaller number?

Thank you for the knowledge!!
Don't exaggerate my knowledge - my profession is not related with sound reproduction.
48 (or 44.1) is just enough to reproduce audible sounds.
24 bit...Well, sometimes a complete audio chain contains more than a single volume regulator. This is a potential opportunity to reduce dynamic range by accident (and it is not desirable; not sure to dig in details here).
As for near-to-sound-source mics - it results in exaggerated quantity of (U)HF sounds in recordings (in comparison with music we listen to in concert hall, when (U)HF sounds are faded out by distance - that is air - from sources to ears). Audiophiles like it (and say about "details"). I'm just a music fan, and am interested in music rather than is sounds. At any case all this reasoning is a matter of taste.

Dec 28, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #297 of 614

Whatever the merits of this study, it was carried out using 192kHz audio. The M300 *is* playing at 192kHz.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 29, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #299 of 614
Hi guys!
forgive me for my not very good English)
I'm going to buy an M300 for myself. I have several questions:
- I will mainly use Spotify and Deezer on the M300. Does the previously mentioned SRC play a role for these services? As far as I know, Spotify Premium produces mp3 quality of 320 kbps and you don’t have to bother with resampling? I previously listened to Spotify on my smartphone and the sound quality suits me. I just want a separate device for music.
- do Google services affect the battery charge? Is it possible to remove unnecessary applications?
- in my version of using the M300, a DAC via wire or Bluetooth and an amplifier will be used. Has anyone tried listening to the M300 this way? I understand that the final volume is controlled by the amplifier? Does the M300 have a line-out audio function? So there is such a switch in the settings?
- Is there enough volume to rock my Sennheiser HD25 and Superlux 668?
thank you for your attention)

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #300 of 614

HiBy announces their brand new subbrand, HiBy Digital and their first product, the M300 Android-powered Digital Audio Player!​

0001.png
BRAND BACKGROUND:

PRODUCT DETAILS

The Gen-Z Music Player
20_33e04c17-283c-431a-a029-3e562316eed5_1024x1024.jpg
  • Android 13-based
  • SoC Snapdragon 665
  • CS43131 DAC
  • 15 Hours Long Playback Time
  • 136g Light Weight Pocketable Design
  • 3.5mm termination
  • Bluetooth 5.0
  • Dual Hi-Res Certification
  • HiFi Indendent DAC
  • Customizable Function Button
  • Voice Recording
  • 136g
  • Retail: $199
LINKS:
Product Page
Facebook Page

Promo Video

1699952878690.png
1699952887142.png
1699952894130.png
1699952900169.png
1699952906578.png
1699952913553.png
1699952918343.png
1699952924236.png
1699952929193.png
1699952934092.png
1699952939111.png
1699952945162.png
1699952951318.png
1699952956324.png
1699952964428.png
1699952970121.png
1699952974779.png
1699952981448.png
1699952986558.png

More details will be updated once more information is gathered. Share your thoughts below!

After a not so conclusive charging test, I was able to top up the M300 from 36% to 94% in about 30-ish minutes which means theoretically this should charge in around an hour from 0-100%. Small battery things, I guess
Hi

First post here, I have been grateful for this thread. I do love my M300 but have trouble with HibyMusic app recognising WAV or Flac digital downloads from Bandcamp. The main reason I bought this player As I essentially purchase files from the Artists. The downloads appear in “folders” search section of Hibymusic but as “unknown” so not searchable by Artist. I have tried 2 seperate file manager apps too. So I download from Bandcamp on Windows, extract the zip file from download folder on Laptop and then copy and paste the non zip album folder to the M300 device - I have tried internal disc and sd card. I have tried download folder and music folder in the both internal and sD card M300 folders. Am I expecting the impossible? (I have even tried a Macbook) Any advice welcome please

Users who are viewing this thread

Back