HiBy Digital M300 Android Digital Audio Player,"The Gen-Z Music Player" - Discussion thread
Dec 18, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #166 of 717
I noticed something interesting when using a USB-C DAC with the M300.

I plugged a JCAlly JM6-4 4.4mm balanced-USB C DAC to the M300, and started playing music. Sounds can be heard without issue, so that's fine. What I found surprising is that in the sound and vibration section of Android settings, I noticed that the "media volume" would increase or decrease. The master volume is set to zero.

I'm hearing music, so I don't see a problem here. Just an oddity compared to plugging something into the 3.5mm.

Dec 18, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #167 of 717
I noticed something interesting when using a USB-C DAC with the M300.

I plugged a JCAlly JM6-4 4.4mm balanced-USB C DAC to the M300, and started playing music. Sounds can be heard without issue, so that's fine. What I found surprising is that in the sound and vibration section of Android settings, I noticed that the "media volume" would increase or decrease. The master volume is set to zero.

I'm hearing music, so I don't see a problem here. Just an oddity compared to plugging something into the 3.5mm.
Perhaps that means the connected DAC is taking over the master volume?

Dec 18, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #168 of 717
Perhaps that means the connected DAC is taking over the master volume?
Probably, and by that logic, setting the master volume to a fixed value of some sort, while making the user fiddle with the media volume instead.

Dec 19, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #170 of 717
Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #172 of 717
Also, why can I not change spotify (master) volume with the rocker buttons when I have spotify opened, but I can change the master volume when i'm outside of spotify
I guess thats a bug that needs to be fixed as it was reported by others as well.

Dec 19, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #173 of 717
Does anyone know of anyway to use Last.fm with Hiby?
I use Panoscrobbler and it works great on android for tidal
Spotify app has in-built last-fm if you set it up on your account

Dec 19, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #175 of 717
I am awaiting further details of the implementation on the M300. What I heard from the boss so far: "it does not bypass SRC but neither is it the terrible default SRC implementation". SRC: sample rate conversion.

I believe whatever is being done here, will be done for the purpose of maximizing compatibility and minimizing hassle, for HiBy Digital's target user group which would prioritize user-friendliness higher and also use more apps that may run afoul of the previous DTA (Direct Transport Audio) implementation (e.g. online radio, learning resources, and dare I say games)
Thank for this info. It’s unfortunate it seems they are using the stock android mixer, resampler, and volume implementation. Do you have any more info on this? Is the bootloader unlocked and ADB available?

Dec 19, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #176 of 717
Thank for this info. It’s unfortunate it seems they are using the stock android mixer, resampler, and volume implementation. Do you have any more info on this? Is the bootloader unlocked and ADB available?
Yes you have to click seven times on the version number in settings to enable developer mode, then you can enable ADB

Dec 19, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #177 of 717
Yes you have to click seven times on the version number in settings to enable developer mode, then you can enable ADB
Sweet! If we can run OEM unlock / flashing unlock, then there’s potential to do better. Cutting out the QC DSP (if present - speculation so far) and bypassing mixer are on my shortlist. I don’t have one of these, but I like the form factor. Might be useful as a transport to USB dongle DACs like Dita Navigator and M15

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #178 of 717
Sweet! If we can run OEM unlock / flashing unlock, then there’s potential to do better. Cutting out the QC DSP (if present - speculation so far) and bypassing mixer are on my shortlist. I don’t have one of these, but I like the form factor. Might be useful as a transport to USB dongle DACs like Dita Navigator and M15
my problem is when I use ADB mode, I have a hard time transferring files to the SD card on the HiBy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back