Hi-Res DAPs comparison chart 2021
Jul 18, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #18 of 50
Thanks for amazing work. . Really good comprarison chart and will be usefull for many of us.
Only wanted to ask some small question is it correct to put ibasso dx160 dap in entry chart and m11 fiio on mid range. Perhaps there is some reason like price ?
Thank you for your awareness.
As a price range, DX160 should be in the "Mid-range", but simply for layout limitation of canvas width pushed out it to the "Entry."

In fact, in the previous version (ver. Jan 2021), DX160 was in the "Mid-range." :sweat_smile:

dap_comparison_2021-01-22-1-2_rev0_2500px.png

Jul 20, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #19 of 50
Great work and very useful

Jul 29, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #20 of 50
Excellent work. This is really useful.

Jul 30, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #23 of 50
Hi there,

This is the latest version of DAPs comparison charts which I created and updates continuously.
If you are looking for a new High-Res DAP, or wan't to compare specifications of latest models, this chart maybe help you.
  • The models listed on this chart is based on Japanese (I'm Japanese:) and Global market, sorted by order of USD price.
  • 4 pics are separated by price range and restrictions of layout by model numbers.
  • If you noticed incorrect description, value or missing informations you know, please comment me.
  1. Entry (ver.2021-06-18)​

dap_comparison_2021-06-18-1_Entry_4K.png

2. Mid-range (ver.2021-07-14)​

dap_comparison_2021-07-14-2_Mid-range_4K.png

3. Premium (ver.2021-06-18)​

dap_comparison_2021-06-18-3_Premium_4K.png

4. High-end (ver.2021-07-03)​

dap_comparison_2021-07-03-4_High-end_4K.png

I wrote blog article below (Sorry for only in Japanese) about the current trend of DAPs and why such DAPs were released.
More precision 10K version pics are available in this blog.

"ハイレゾDAP比較一覧 2021年6月版 〜AKM工場火災の影響が色濃い2021年上半期のDAP新機種動向"
"High-Resolution DAP Comparison List June 2021 Edition - New DAP model trends in the first half of 2021, deeply affected by the AKM factory fire"
https://align-centre.hatenablog.com/entry/2021/06/dap-comparison-2021-06

I hope you enjoy it.

Twitter: @align_centre
Wow. Great work! 👏👏 👏

Jul 30, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #24 of 50
Yes, arigato mr. roboto very much for this although I have zero interest in DAPs. I admire the artistry putting this together and the jitter / clock section. The clock section allows me to observe DAP technology trends which allows me to see if I'm on the right track on my own system. This saves me time from clicking on each individual DAP thread as it's a jungle out there if you are not familiar with DAPs and to just look at that one jitter / clock line of the premium DAP section. So thank you very much for including that section as it helps me determine if I should invest further down the rabbit hole. Well done.

Although I'm using audiophile clocks presently (good performance) on my battery-powered transport, I'm planning to upgrade to military use clocks next year (state of the art precision).

Because of the positive attributes the clocks provide to DAPs (soundstage, layering, air, timbre, etc.), the same clock benefits applies back to my Chord DACs.

clock.pngupgrade.png
No DAP? What 'transport' do you use to feed into your DAC? I am assuming you are using portable gear since this here is a head-fi place.

Jul 31, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #26 of 50
I'm old school. I was here when FLAC was a unknown and we were arguing the pro and cons of FLAC vs. MP3. In order to play FLAC at that time, we had to hack and slash our DAPs to another operating system / firmware otherwise we were limited to AAC or MP3. So I'm use to having control of my of hardware and/or software and not limited like general consumers of gear.

IMO, there are no positive benefits of current DAPs besides AIO convenience.

Off the top of head, some negatives:
  • Tofu-Fi DAPs breakdown routinely and need constant replacement. Plenty of horror stories here with $2K +- $1K DAPs.
  • Android gets outdated and abandoned. It's also either a slim down version of Android or a compromised Android with suspect software.
  • You risk software payloads entering your home/work system if you install apps or connect your hardware to the network
  • Outdated screen which possibly emits RFI since it is so close to audio components
  • Storage limited
  • Single point of failure you need to return the whole unit. Not consumer repairable.
  • Gimmicks like 4.4mm, 2.5mm etc. Amplification is a distortion.
  • Don't even get me started with SQ.
There's plenty more, but since I'm not into DAPs that's off the top of my head. Mojo2 and Hugo2 works for my needs at this time, but my transport is scalable to Hugo3 once released. Chord DACs are also scalable as the source is almost as important as the DAC. Here are my thought process notes on Hugo2:

hugo.png

A great majority of Chord users don't know how to source their DACs as they are general consumers and not audio geeks thus different impressions.

With the trend of HQ USB DAC dongles and Small Battery Powered Computers, the technology is there to create your own DAP or your own Hybrid DAP.

I try to take a Model View Controller of things so there is clean separation for performance, maintenance, etc.:

1024px-MVC-Process.svg.png
For example, if I want to change the View to a new mini-LED iPhone screen I just need to install the app:

Phone.jpg

The controller and model are on the Small Battery Powered Computer which you can connect from a iPhone via Hotspot to perform exactly like a DAP with no lag.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ipeng/id767266886

The server portion can handle 8-10TB with ease if microSD tech evolves to 2TB, 4TB or 8TB in the near future. This server-side software is Summit-Fi approved as almost all Summit-Fiers are utilising this software. I use it for direct streaming abilities. This software is used on >$250,000 Summit-Fi gear.

This allows you the freedom to just use a Small Battery Powered Computer + possible small DAC and just put in your pocket. You wirelessly control via the iPhone. It should be a smaller footprint than a DAP since there is no screen.

For my COVID project, I wasn't focused on portability and wanted to max out on SQ while still maintaining trans-portability.

So I run a low latency realtime transport w/ the ability to clock-roll. Being able to run a real OS and not a toy OS like Android or iOS does wonders for audio performance.

test.png

The tight super fast quick bass that is only possible on a low latency realtime system is amazing. It's like having a transportable mix between Chord and dCS (clocks).

https://dcsaudio.com/clocking

I use glass optical.

front.png

I'm not using an el-cheapo battery like DAPs use. I'm using a good size juicy battery from the same battery manufacturer as Tesla. These are not normal batteries. These batteries allow Teslas quick accelaration and uphill climbing ability with dynamic power. So these batteries have low ESR (impedance) which allow quick fast dynamic power that is needed to extend for dynamic music. One of these small batteries is better than any LPS out there. I'm also running directly from the battery with solid core silver wiring. No battery holders or other bottlenecks.

power.jpg

If I don't want to use a smartphone, my other view is an IR Remote:

side.png

For the IR Remote, Up_Click = Next Track, Up_Hold = Main1 Playlist, Down_Click = Previous Track, Down_Hold = Main2 Playlist, A/V_Click = Play/Pause, A/V_Hold = Random playlist, Power = PWR. It's amazing to feel actual buttons instead of pressing a screen.

This is not meant for absolute portability, but the technology is there if one chooses that direction. If the Mojo2 is released, I will start a more portable project. If I had a USB DAC dongle which doesn't interest me either, I can build something super portable but I'm very picky on the USB connection.

I want to use an Uptone USPCB since USB cables are colored, but not sure how to make that work ATM:

uspcb.png

So basically since everyone already has a smartphone for navigation, you can have a pocket-able robust low latency realtime operating system with your USB DAC Dongle or your favorite battery-powered DAC with a robust storage infrastructure. You just use the smartphone for wireless navigation. This saves on smartphone battery because the smartphone is only needed for navigation and you don't need to power a USB DAC via the smartphone.

It's easier to repair, maintain, upgrade and update software. You can even repurpose later as a DAP will just turn into a paper weight sooner than later. It also doesn't cost a ton so you are not paying for markup.

Once the COVID supply chain shortage is replenised, there will be plenty more options.

Just my opinion and to offer another point of view.

This takes nothing away from the original poster as they did a amazing job.
Whoa. Think I just hit the mother load, I’m going to need a while to soak this all up. However, my quest is to stick the entire rig in a big pocket or small bag. Even the Hugo is on the hefty side; for me, an iPod on the Hifiman HM1000 (4x PCM1704 chip set) is a happy middle ground. But when I need more juice, or I want to listen to particular demanding recordings, it falls short. I agree with you — none of today’s DAPs make the cut, as a stand-alone all in one thingamajig. So is there a dependable reliable small good 'transport' that would couple with a good amp and DAC for as good as it gets portable/transportable set-up?

Jul 31, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #27 of 50
Pro work. Time saver. Thank you.

Jul 31, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #29 of 50
Quote: https://www.head-fi.org/members/uwotm888.548184/
  • Tofu-Fi DAPs breakdown routinely and need constant replacement. Plenty of horror stories here without $2K +- $1K DAPs.
  • Android gets outdated and abandoned. It's also either a slim down version of Android or a compromised Android with suspect software.
  • You risk software payloads entering your home/work system if you install apps or connect your hardware to the network
  • Outdated screen which possibly emits RFI since it is so close to audio components
  • Storage limited
  • Single point of failure you need to return the whole unit. Not consumer repairable.
  • Gimmicks like 4.4mm, 2.5mm etc. Amplification is a distortion.
  • Don't even get me started with SQ.

————————————————————————————-

Don’t really know where to start. Much of the above post is just nonsense.

I will not even quote the whole post, but Sony DAPs are not limited to storage. Right now they support 1TB cards and may offer higher storage, when it comes out? I don’t need more than the included storage and a 1TB card?

4.4mm or 2.5mm balanced has never been proven to have more noise. This single subject has been a subject of heated disputes since the origin of balanced. I will say Sony helps the arguments by putting better amps in the 4.4mm side of the DAP. The DAPs have two amps and the 4.4mm is a better amp. It’s debatable if balanced is better though, it’s never been proven to be bad.

Sony uses Linux not Android.

The biggest issue I see in the system above is it is limited by the bit-rate transfer of optical toslink. The user is crippled to use only low bit-rate files.

Break down routinely? Never...........no report ever of Sony DAPs breaking down? What is a Tofu-Fi DAP.......I’m missing something?
Tofu-Fi?
D063494F-4030-48DA-96EA-4AD3ECDF6C52.jpeg

The system above uses a DAP as a source via USB to the amp. The USB noise gets diminished by the Cradle and AQCarbon Cable.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #30 of 50
Hi there,

This is the latest version of DAPs comparison charts which I created and updates continuously.
If you are looking for a new High-Res DAP, or wan't to compare specifications of latest models, this chart maybe help you.
  • The models listed on this chart is based on Japanese (I'm Japanese:) and Global market, sorted by order of USD price.
  • 4 pics are separated by price range and restrictions of layout by model numbers.
  • If you noticed incorrect description, value or missing informations you know, please comment me.
  1. Entry (ver.2021-06-18)​

dap_comparison_2021-06-18-1_Entry_4K.png

2. Mid-range (ver.2021-07-14)​

dap_comparison_2021-07-14-2_Mid-range_4K.png

3. Premium (ver.2021-06-18)​

dap_comparison_2021-06-18-3_Premium_4K.png

4. High-end (ver.2021-07-03)​

dap_comparison_2021-07-03-4_High-end_4K.png

I wrote blog article below (Sorry for only in Japanese) about the current trend of DAPs and why such DAPs were released.
More precision 10K version pics are available in this blog.

"ハイレゾDAP比較一覧 2021年6月版 〜AKM工場火災の影響が色濃い2021年上半期のDAP新機種動向"
"High-Resolution DAP Comparison List June 2021 Edition - New DAP model trends in the first half of 2021, deeply affected by the AKM factory fire"
https://align-centre.hatenablog.com/entry/2021/06/dap-comparison-2021-06

I hope you enjoy it.

Twitter: @align_centre
Where are L&P L4 and L6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back