Hi, I'm new, where do I start?
Apr 14, 2008 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Sinsen

100+ Head-Fier
Hello!
So, I would like to get to know a bit more about what goes on inside the boxes that I use (and I really need a hobby), so I was thinking about building a stationary headphone amp.

But, I really need a good FAQ, or some info on where to start.

I have seen your recommendations on where to buy a nice kit, like Glass Jar Audio, but I can't really find any places with good descriptions on HOW to build the amp. (As far as I have understood instructions does not usually ship with the kit?).

I have found a couple of sites describing how to build, for instance, a Millet hybrid amp, but it seems to be aimed at people with a bit more knowlege than I have.(For instance, the parts that describe how to measure output, and DC offset (correct?) are not detailed enough for me.) Are there any guides that are really detailed, or do I just have to buy the kit, and search around to find the info that I need?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 21
Welcome to head-fi. Sorry about your wallet.

And welcome to the DIY section of head-fi. Now I'm really sorry about your wallet.
tongue.gif

One of the very best places to start the learning process is at Tangent's Audiologica site. Give his articles "Getting Started in Audio DIY" and "How to Build the CMoy Pocket Headphone Amplifier" a close read to really get yourself going. Both articles cover the area of building your very own stationary headphone amp. There is also a tutorial to be found at DIY Simple Headphone Amp Tutorial: Cmoy Amplifier which also breaks down the process of building a CMoy into the much finer details. Members Zigis and Joshatdot provide CMoy kits (board and parts, possibly even enclosure) to make the process all that much easier.

That being said, building your own protoboard CMoy is an unspoken, unwritten rite of passage in this biz, so you may want to consider that before jumping on those kits right away. I hold this belief because if you do the protboard thing, you go through all the difficult and necessary parts of building amps down the line anyway: making your own bill of matierals, or BOM; protoboarding (there are usually PCBs down the line, but you want to be able to work your way around these bad boys); troubleshooting and comparing between the schematic and what you've got laid out; casework and procuring for yourself all the appropriate tools; and all those little nitpicks in between. Granted, you won't have to always do these things in every project in the future, but laying a good foundation is more important than speeding along on rocky ground. The important thing is that you learn what you need to learn by the time you need to know it, so pick whichever seems best in the long run. Of course, there's always the 24/7 head-fi DIY subforum hotline for troubleshooting, asking questions, and general learning, so do some thread searching or post your own when you need help.

I don't think I've covered everything, but that's my perspective on what you need to know in order to get started. Above all, Tangent's page is invaluable to the Audio DIY beginner, so don't underestimate how important it is to read all that material. There are plenty of resources on the internet and in this subforum, so your only real limit is your desire to learn. Good luck on your new career in audio DIY.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 21
If you get an Alien DAC kit (and maybe the other kits as well) from Glass Jar, all the components will be labelled (C1, C2, R23, etc) and the PCB of course has the location for each component. So you more or less just stick the parts where the labels tell you. There are general guides as well for the order you should do this in, etc.
Alien DAC - Assembly

Apr 14, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 21
well in the case of a GJA Mini^3 kit...you're right that it doesnt come with instructions. Jeff is Nice enough to label most parts Ex common resistors are all taped together. Obviously the 4 electrolytic caps are pretty straight forward and the values are printed on the exterior. You could probably go by shape with almost everything on a simple project like this.

start by going to the site of the mini3 designer
The Mini³ Portable Stereo Headphone Amplifier

Compare the [Parts List] table with the below image or whatever is printed on the PCB.
R1L, R1R, R1G, R3L, R3R, R4G= QTY6=miniature 1% metal film resistor 330Ω

mini3_silkscreen.png

to figure out which resistor is which, you should use a DMM...i think it would take me all day i relied on the color chart.

there's tutorials, links on info, etc.
Tangentsoft, AMB Laboratories DIY Audio Site

Apr 14, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 21
my advise 100% would be to check out tangents tutorials etc linked above. then go to your local radioshack, pickup the basic gear ud need, and try farting around practice soldering etc and try out a cmoy or two. once you feel comfortable with that, try moving onto something a bit more complex, like a PPA, or a mini3. all of these builds are fairly commonly done on these forums by beginners, and as such, the support network for them is quite extensive - all of us should be able to help you get a working amp together without too much trouble. in terms of raw tutorials and instructions though, you really cannot beat tangents guides for the cmoy, truly a fantastic starting point. cheap too, not point in spending 100 on parts and finding out you cant create a good solder joint to save your life!
tongue.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 21
Thank's people! The Audiologica site was just what I was looking for.

And, I'll take your advice (allthough I have too many portable amps allready), and start out with a Cmoy, the "how to build a Cmoy" looked very good, and easy to follow.

Apr 14, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #7 of 21
yep, it is, have fun building a couple and casing them up in various ways, then if you decide to move onto something a bit more complex, like a kit for a mini3 or a millet max or something, you can just even give the cmoys away to friends/family! nice 30 dollar presents if i might say so myself.
biggrin.gif
best of luck, and feel free to ask us any questions u might have, well do our best to help you through any issues you may (or may not) run into!
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by el_matt0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yep, it is, have fun building a couple and casing them up in various ways, then if you decide to move onto something a bit more complex, like a kit for a mini3 or a millet max or something, you can just even give the cmoys away to friends/family! nice 30 dollar presents if i might say so myself.
biggrin.gif
best of luck, and feel free to ask us any questions u might have, well do our best to help you through any issues you may (or may not) run into!
wink.gif

I allready have one question
smily_headphones1.gif

Can anyone recommend me a online store with international shipping that provides the standard parts listed at Tangentsoft?

Apr 14, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I allready have one question
smily_headphones1.gif

Can anyone recommend me a online store with international shipping that provides the standard parts listed at Tangentsoft?

Take a look at online shops in the US, for example: Mouser, Digikey.
In Europe, you can also take a look at Reichelt.de. Good luck !

Apr 15, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to head-fi. Sorry about your wallet.

And welcome to the DIY section of head-fi. Now I'm really sorry about your wallet.

It's true. I was doing okay. A pair or two of headphones, nothing really crazy. Then the amp off of my computer speakers started that cracking that you get from cheap pots. I should have known. But it was a good thing (I say that *now*)...

That's the last time I saw the sun. I've cooked away many days, evening, weekends...yawned at nice evenings out with others. It's even more addicting than headphones in the first place. But listening to things you've built. What a rush.

Just so you know what you're getting in to.

Apr 15, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #11 of 21
Heh, after all the money I have used so far on phones and amps, I did not think about this being addictice as well... but after using several hours yesterday evening/night trying to teach myself to read schematics, I think I understand what you mean
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyMac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you get an Alien DAC kit (and maybe the other kits as well) from Glass Jar, all the components will be labelled (C1, C2, R23, etc) and the PCB of course has the location for each component. So you more or less just stick the parts where the labels tell you. There are general guides as well for the order you should do this in, etc.
Alien DAC - Assembly

uhh I think the Alien is one of the last things id recommend as an introductory project, after the cmoy, mini3, ckk3, pimeta, max, soha, and probably a couple others I can think of.

I think sinsen has already made the best decision here but seriously(for other neophytes that may be reading) I'd go with a ratshack protoboard cmoy, using tangent's site (when I say ratshack, I mean just the protoboard coming from RadioShack, not any of the parts, and ESPECIALLY not your soldering iron). I'd get everything else from Mouser or Digikey, including some 63/37 solder in .025in (.635mm) diameter, a half pound (or whatever the half size of the normal size they sell it in on that side of the pond is) if you can find it at one of the places you get your parts from for less than the price of a whole pound (or whatever)

Apr 15, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #13 of 21
Thanks for the input, I am planning to buy most of the parts at Mouser.

It seems that the RS protoboard is a bit difficult to get hold of here in Norway, so I might just follow descriptions in the williamneo.blogspot.com - tutorial, using a standard(?) protoboard.

Apr 16, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #15 of 21
I hope your build goes well!

Another site you might want to look at is www.djgardner.com. His site is dedicated to Kevin Gilmore's amps (highly recommended, by the way), but has a great step-by-step tutorial for building a Dynalo. It won't apply to your project, but his instructions for board stuffing are worth reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back