'Hi-Fi' vs 'Fun-Fi'
Jan 12, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #61 of 85

Quote:
IMO, Hi-Fi is instruments that we use to reproduce our digitally (or analogue) stored music. Hi-Fi would just be the gear we use to do this and obviously some can do it better than others thus reproducing the original sound the best. I think why people want live recorded music more is because the instruments have more life to them and you can actually hear error at some points - but good error. Computer done music does sound good but its not going to have the texture like a rock album is going to have. Personally, it all comes down to the producer / engineer. You can make anything good, or bad for that matter. Even with computer made music (which I make myself) you can get some amazing sound because when you re cored vocals you get that original sound kind of tied into the mix. Anyway, computer based music is complete error free which is also nice sometimes, go figure. 

DUBSTEP, TRANCE, AND ELECTRO HOUSE!
beerchug.gif

I love plenty of other genres too, rock, hard rock, progressive rock, and progressive/symphonic metal are big favorites of mine. I also like a little classical, jazz, R&B, a little hip-hop, and acoustic and vocals. Most of the musical spectrum. I like phones that show the music but are a little more exciting than neutral, it depends on the genre. For electronic, definitely a little more bass and treble. I am going to contribute a little more in depth later.

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #62 of 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by disastermouse

I don't have enough experience with different models to actually know yet.  I was thinking Grados, since I imagine their upper ranges to be like clearer, higher quality versions of the SR80i that I have.

Oops, wouldn't have taken you for a Grado man.
redface.gif

Never mind, let's have a look at the FR response of the top Grado compared to the HD650, whose balance is well known and a good reference point. Nope, looks like Grado are sticking with their "fun" response, which means it's a corporate philosophy. I've actually looked at top grados and wondered, but clearly the changes are to do with refinement rather than balance.

graphCompare.php

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #63 of 85
I have only heard a few Grados, but they sounded pretty good. I really think true neutral or natural sound has some kind of bass boost and other diversions from a "flat" sound or frequency chart. I was listening to the JH5 and JH16 demos at my first meet a few months ago and the JH16s sounded much better to me. The JH5s are pretty neutral with a small bass boost but the JH16s have a big bass "boost," aqnd they sounded phenomenal. The music came alive and sounded real. It was not artificial or anything, it was just right and natural sounding. Jerry Harvey, Jaime Harvey, and many others prefer the JH16s to the 13s, and I would be a 16 guy if I were to get one. The sound is just alive! I make the argument that your ear does not perceive different frequencies the same way at all, and the phones that compensate for that sound really good to me. My position may change when I hear some more phones, but many people feel this way as well.

Jan 12, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #64 of 85

Oops, wouldn't have taken you for a Grado man.
redface.gif

Never mind, let's have a look at the FR response of the top Grado compared to the HD650, whose balance is well known and a good reference point. Nope, looks like Grado are sticking with their "fun" response, which means it's a corporate philosophy. I've actually looked at top grados and wondered, but clearly the changes are to do with refinement rather than balance.

graphCompare.php

You'd be right to infer that I'm not a Grado man - the SR80i was an intro step - I now wear almost exclusively my HD 650s and vastly prefer the 'Senn Sound' to the Grado one. I hadn't done enough research on different cans when I got the Grados.

The next step (in about 2 years) will be an Audez'e can (prolly whatever revision of the LCD they're at then)...or a similar Planar Magnetic.

Jan 12, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #65 of 85

Quote:

You'd be right to infer that I'm not a Grado man - the SR80i was an intro step - I now wear almost exclusively my HD 650s and vastly prefer the 'Senn Sound' to the Grado one. I hadn't done enough research on different cans when I got the Grados.The next step (in about 2 years) will be an Audez'e can (prolly whatever revision of the LCD they're at then)...or a similar Planar Magnetic.

We must be climbing the same ladder. I'm also keeping an eye on the LCD-2, but I want the construction/cable problems well and truly sorted out first. OTOH, my age and tinnitus may overtake me before then and make any new HP redundant. The 650 are very good, and most people would be well satisfied. Why are we not?
smile_phones.gif

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #67 of 85

Quote:
I think Hi-fi should always sound fun-fi. Music should engage the soul and mind, what is the point if its hi-fi if no spark happens.

This. The JH16s moved me, and my soul was lifted and my spirit flew!
smily_headphones1.gif
 That is slight hyperbole, but true. When the subbass rumbled and powered through to my eardrums without disturbing a note of the rest of the spectrum, it sounded so good. Not so much with the flatter JH5s.

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #68 of 85
Seriously, can anyone say whether a Denon D7000 is fun-fi or hi-fi?

I dunno about you guys, but I think most of the "audiophile" headphones costing more than $300 are fun-fi. Detailed and neutral studio monitors come at around $300.

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #69 of 85

Quote:

I dunno about you guys, but I think most of the "audiophile" headphones costing more than $300 are fun-fi. Detailed and neutral studio monitors come at around $300.

Well  yeah SRH840's are what $120, Sony MDR 7509's are like $200, DT48's are $300 used. Their are plenty of good monitors below $300. But also you've got headphone's like K1000's which are incredibly accurate and those cost a fortune and are more popular now then they were when they were in production( kinda a sad fact there.)

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #70 of 85
From what I've read, the D7000 are mostly 70% funfi and 30% hifi
k701 and HD800 are about the reverse, hd650 is 50/50 hd 600 is 40% fun and 60% hi.

Don't read too much into the numbers though, it's just a cursory opinion.

Quote:

Jan 13, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #71 of 85
Are you absolutely certain about those figures? I'd have said the D7000 was 73% fun fi, or maybe even 74%.
650 is definitely 53/47, and 600 maybe 46/54. Or it could be 45/56...I might just have to check that. Anyway, 650 is definitely 53/47--that at least I'm sure of....

tongue.gif

Quote:
k701 and HD800 are about the reverse, hd650 is 50/50 hd 600 is 40% fun and 60% hi.

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #72 of 85

Quote:

The HD650 is 110% awesome. That's all that matters. I feel sorry for all you misguided sods that think otherwise.
wink.gif

And yes. I know I've contributed nothing to this discussion. I'll show myself out. Carry on.

Jan 13, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #73 of 85
I think it is all non sense anyway. If you cannot enjoy the music for whatever purpose you should stop buying audio gear. Some real concerts would be better in that case...

Using percentages to define headphones? Is this an absurd sketch?

Jan 13, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #74 of 85
Like many people I want the best hifi I can afford (which are HD 600s now). The prob I have is the more hifi I get, the more I work to make it hi-fun.

I love a big wide sound stage but I don't like ear piercingly sharp highs that make my mouth water like I'm having a lemon. I don't like a bass that makes me feel my ear drums and I don't feel good worrying my stereocilia are shaking themselves to death. So for me hifi is not necessarily fun-fi.

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #75 of 85
I can enjoy music of the standard pair of ibuds or even laptop speakers, the rest is extra.
I want my gear to be as *hi-fi* as possible, when I want more mass, I simply turn on the EQ.

Quote:
I think it is all non sense anyway. If you cannot enjoy the music for whatever purpose you should stop buying audio gear. Some real concerts would be better in that case...

Using percentages to define headphones? Is this an absurd sketch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back