hi-fi headphones and gaming
Sep 30, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ialwayslose :: what games are you playing btw? I'm actually looking into headphones for gaming too...would appreciate any input you can put in here.

Budget?

Sep 30, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnjester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
some how that is the exact oposite of what i have heard about the 595's i have heard that they do sound great to the left and right but not so much to the front and back

I'm not sure who told you that but I'd have to disagree. When I first got my HD595's my stats went up almost right away. I was accused of hacking on servers that I've played on for ages. Once everyone got used to the fact that I could just hear where they were they stopped calling me a hacker and bought better cans themselves!
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #18 of 29
Yep. Play Office in CSS with a pair of HD595s and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Sep 30, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Budget?

*If I get a set only for gaming. I'd say ~$120 or less. (think this is roughly what a ath-a700 costs) with a stronger emphasis on less.
*If it's great for music and gaming -> ~$300 or less. But I'd be willing to go a bit more in this case. Currently on a heed canamp + beresford tc7510 mk5 (i know it's not a 6...just better not be a 4...cause when I ordered the mk5's were in existence) So synergy might also come into play if it also includes a focus on music.

This thread caught my interests because the OP said the siberias would do roughly the same job in gaming use, and I can get those for bout ~$50. In terms of gaming only headphones/headset I'd really prefer to spend less. I'm also going to look into sound card drivers and/or those USB virtual surround sounds, granted that I can find one of those usb virtual surround sound card to try from a fellow gamer.

Whereas previously, many threads had previously mentioned that the a500/a700/a900 have been great for gaming (with respect to positional audio/sound imaging) which is the type of gaming headset/headphone I'd be looking for.
Elsewhere I've read that the dt770 is great for the gaming experience (without much mention for uses in competitive games where the sound positioning was an important matter), where you'd feel the bass and what not. Except in this thread, we've also got posters who's experience has been that not only are the dt770's great for the gaming experience, they've also helped the users' performance as a player by offering good sound positioning.

--Another question regarding gaming use, is that I've seen many mention that the CMSS-3D sound settings of some sort also help alot. For this CSMSS-3D setting, does the game being played have to incorporate some option to use this technology? Or can it be enabled for any game I play. I mostly play CS 1.6 and I'm pretty sure the game doesn't have any special support for this programmed in, given it's age. If the CMSS-3D settings can be enabled via sound card for any game I play, I might just look into getting a sound card with support of this technology.

Right now I'm pretty sure I might be able to try a friends dt880 (2005 version) for gaming. Just need to inform him of this
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*If I get a set only for gaming. I'd say ~$120 or less. (think this is roughly what a ath-a700 costs) with a stronger emphasis on less.
*If it's great for music and gaming -> ~$300 or less. But I'd be willing to go a bit more in this case. Currently on a heed canamp + beresford tc7510 mk5 (i know it's not a 6...just better not be a 4...cause when I ordered the mk5's were in existence) So synergy might also come into play if it also includes a focus on music.

This thread caught my interests because the OP said the siberias would do roughly the same job in gaming use, and I can get those for bout ~$50. In terms of gaming only headphones/headset I'd really prefer to spend less. I'm also going to look into sound card drivers and/or those USB virtual surround sounds, granted that I can find one of those usb virtual surround sound card to try from a fellow gamer.

Whereas previously, many threads had previously mentioned that the a500/a700/a900 have been great for gaming (with respect to positional audio/sound imaging) which is the type of gaming headset/headphone I'd be looking for.
Elsewhere I've read that the dt770 is great for the gaming experience (without much mention for uses in competitive games where the sound positioning was an important matter), where you'd feel the bass and what not. Except in this thread, we've also got posters who's experience has been that not only are the dt770's great for the gaming experience, they've also helped the users' performance as a player by offering good sound positioning.

--Another question regarding gaming use, is that I've seen many mention that the CMSS-3D sound settings of some sort also help alot. For this CSMSS-3D setting, does the game being played have to incorporate some option to use this technology? Or can it be enabled for any game I play. I mostly play CS 1.6 and I'm pretty sure the game doesn't have any special support for this programmed in, given it's age. If the CMSS-3D settings can be enabled via sound card for any game I play, I might just look into getting a sound card with support of this technology.

Right now I'm pretty sure I might be able to try a friends dt880 (2005 version) for gaming. Just need to inform him of this
biggrin.gif

CMSS-3D really is great for gaming. It can be used with everything if you want. All games, movies and even music, not that I recommend it though. So it has nothing to do with a setting ingame.

It's the Xfi's who have it. If you like dt880 for gaming I can also recommend dt990. To me, they are better for gaming. I have tried switching in-game a lot of times, and come to the conclusion that the open soundstage of dt990 is better than the closed soundstage of dt880 for me.

Sep 30, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CMSS-3D really is great for gaming. It can be used with everything if you want. All games, movies and even music, not that I recommend it though. So it has nothing to do with a setting ingame.

It's the Xfi's who have it. If you like dt880 for gaming I can also recommend dt990. To me, they are better for gaming. I have tried switching in-game a lot of times, and come to the conclusion that the open soundstage of dt990 is better than the closed soundstage of dt880 for me.

CMSS sounds terrible to me, even in games.

Sep 30, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by leng jai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CMSS sounds terrible to me, even in games.

Its very ear dependant. For some it works, for others, it doesnt. It DOES screw up the soundquality big time, but for some the imagining is improved a lot.

Sep 30, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #26 of 29
I did not say the icemats were better, i just said they would do just fine in terms of positioning, i also stated that in terms of actually quality, these DO sound better, but that isnt really important.

as for games, i play css, quake, unreal, and some dods.

footsteps sound more "crisp" and are arguably louder, but investing in a pair of $100 + headphones for gaming is a waste.

as for buying into the slogan for gaming stuff is good for gaming, i had a pair of razer barracudas, and they were also nothing special. However, my friend had the soundcard to go along with them and at that point the difference was substantial and the positioning was in fact, amazing.

Sep 30, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #27 of 29
I think CMSS in game mode ruins any soundstage of higher-end cans. But it's the complete opposite when it's used in entertainment mode. In entertainment mode with CMSS on, the soundstage is increased a lot more, but the downside is games' EAX support is disabled...it will only use EAX in the x-fi's game mode.
mad.gif

Oct 1, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #29 of 29
my brother owns icemat siberias, and even for gaming (obviously for music) my recabled beyer dt990s out of even just the integrated amp in the zhaolu DAC puts them to absolute shame. it DEFINITELY sounds better, and the soundstage is quite impressive IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back