HF-2
Sep 2, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #961 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by nukular /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...or wash in some soap for maybe an hour, rinse, dry, then enjoy if they are that uncomfortable to you.

What about "repeat"? You forgot rinse...dry...repeat!

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #962 of 1,149
What a surprise. The mailman left by the front door and never knocked. Sound nice out of the box.
smile_phones.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #963 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always take my Grado pads and put them in a bucket of warm water with clothes washing detergent and fabric softener. I squeeze the pads VIGORSOUSLY every few hours for a few DAYS. You won't believe the black crap that washes out of them. If they are Jumbos, I change the detergent/fabric softener solution out every couple hours because they have a ton of black stuff in them. Makes them a little softer, removes the scratchiness and gets rid of that "Chain Smoker" smell they come with.

Thanks, friend! I won't probably do it as fervently as you did but I will try it tomorrow.
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #964 of 1,149
Mine (#415) arrived today.

They are in good shape. The usual glue issues, but, that is hidden. The bowls themselves look fine. They are actually quite striking in person.

They fit so much different from the SR255i. The extra weight really makes the fit seem far tighter and more secure which, in this case, is a good thing. The padded headband is also a nice touch. Much softer and easier on the top of my head (which is slowly loosing it's ability to provide any amount of natural padding).

Too early to comment on sound other than, right out of the box, they seem to have far more bass and a smoother top-end than the SR255i. Pretty much what everyone else has reported.

I am gonna hook them up to an iPod on random and toss them in the closet for a day or two. At that point I will break out a set of 12FK6 tubes and take them for a drive.

jk

Sep 3, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #965 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, friend! I won't probably do it as fervently as you did but I will try it tomorrow.
biggrin.gif

It helps them quite a bit. They're softer and smoother. Really helps with the scratchiness, it will be gone.

Sep 3, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #966 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does washing them affect the sound of them? I'm assuming no?

Actually it does help the sound. If you can't stand wearing them, you can't hear them
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #967 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HF2 has slightly excessive amount of midbass out of my system (Compass w/ Earth HDAM and no jumpers). Does anyone else feel the same?

When I get mine in a couple days ill try and confirm...

Sep 3, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #969 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by nukular /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jesus...talk about overkill. Have you thought about having some lesbian monks from the andes come by and make sure your stereo is aligned with your aura as well...
darthsmile.gif
Days? Really?

I say wear and enjoy. They'll wear in just fine...or wash in some soap for maybe an hour, rinse, dry, then enjoy if they are that uncomfortable to you.

Lol!

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #970 of 1,149
Thanks to Todd!!!
Got mine today. They look fine (no big scratches or marks).
(To get a state-of -the-art finish the cups will need an extra polish. Maybe - sometimes.)
I couldn't resist. They are on my head.
Driven by a D10 the sound is darker and more rounded than the RS1.
More forgiving at this early stage.
But it is a pleasure to listen to it out of the box.
For more refinement it will need some burn-in, i think.

[Btw. For those interested in this, I had to pay 65 EURO tax and custom.]

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #971 of 1,149
Well I sent an email wondering approximately when I would recieve them and I got an email from the TTVJ Shipping Manager saying:
Quote:

The HF-2s should be arriving later this week. In an effort to get them out to you as soon as possible we charged your credit card today. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you and have a great day!

Oh yeah!
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #974 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdkJake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... they seem to have far more bass ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Driven by a D10 the sound is darker and more rounded than the RS1. ...

I have spent the last two weekends comparing the RS-1 and the HF2. I have used three sources: Monarchy Audio NM24 via glass optical, Red Wine Audio Isabellina HPA via USB, and Meridian 506.20 via a pair of Singlepower RCA IC's. The amps used have been: highly modified Singlepower MPX3 Slam SE, Isabellina HPA, and a Graham Slee Solo SRG w/ PSU1.

The results are the same, the HF2 (w/ over 400 hours of burn-in) has a deeper bottom end, a more in your face presentation, and a narrower soundstage. I can see where the HF2 would really be appreciated by so many over other Grado cans. I still prefer the RS-1 but I listen mostly to Jazz and Classical.

Both the RS-1 and the HF2 are great sounding cans. Cheers.

Sep 8, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #975 of 1,149
I need RS1 than and PS1000 would be more of a HF2 flavor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back