HF-2!!!
Jul 8, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #452 of 704
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of Jude .... has he weighed in on the HF-2 discussions, or did I simply miss it?

No post by Jude in any of the HF-2 threads since this one..
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/gra...ml#post5766869

Jul 8, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #453 of 704
Todd,

Just wondering, if we do decide to go ahead with buying the headphone, will you still honour the 30 day money back guarantee if we don't like it, as per your original post?

Jul 8, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #454 of 704
yes that hasn't changed.

Jul 8, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #455 of 704
First I'll say that I'm not cancelling my order for this headphone, however I have to rant...

Well I came to check up on reviews, impressions, and shipping status and I find out about this glaring typo
frown.gif
It's really very disappointing that no one in the production chain noticed this. I mean really, how many people handle each cup and this isn't noticed at ALL? It smacks of not caring enough to check at least or incompetence at worst, sure it would cost labor time to have them redone assuming John could get the cups remade due to the defect, but that's what happens when there's a mistake. And if it was noticed and pushed through anyway that's even worse. How both the engraver and all the employees at Grado couldn't notice this is beyond me, someone had to change something to make such a typo. In either case Grado should be willing to take the hit for the error, I know it's a business and businesses are meant to make money but sometimes you've got to suck it up especially when it involves your most loyal and vocal customers. Delays are no good but I think it would have been acceptable in this case. What irks me most is that there *are* some 'correct' ones, just the initial few, and after seeing them many people placed orders yet the ones we'll receive have a glaring cosmetic defect. So some people are 'extra special' because they could go to CanJam?

*conspiracy theory edit: After the HF-1 resale thing, which I understand the frustration over but also have to say 'too bad' to Grado if the resale was higher since Grado set the initial selling price it must have been acceptable to them, with no chance of corrected replacements for the HF-2 it's possible this was done as a way to lower the resale value for the vast majority of these phones or at least keep it from going up so much so fast. Of course since almost all of them are this way that shouldn't really change things but it does make the first few much more valuable - it's not that I'm in it for profit, I expect to keep these cans forever, but I don't buy new any more if I can help it unless there's a real bargain because of 'opening the box' depreciation.

In the end sound is what matters which is why I'm not cancelling but that nor the Head-fi donations in no way excuses this mistake and lack of correction. Since we can't have correct replacements there ought to be more of a concession to the paying customers for this error. What I may do is cancel getting some Grado accessories because they are obviously high-margin items and I don't know that I should further reward this kind of incompetence. More to Head-fi is nice but that doesn't do anything for me and I'm the one who ends up with a mismade item, part of the reason I ordered was that $40 went to head-fi in the first place which is nice but that shouldn't be increased in place of a customer concession - head-fi isn't the one buying the phones.

Jul 8, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #456 of 704
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First I'll say that I'm not cancelling my order for this headphone, however I have to rant...

What irks me most is that there *are* some 'correct' ones, just the initial few, and after seeing them many people placed orders yet the ones we'll receive have a glaring cosmetic defect. So some people are 'extra special' because they could go to CanJam?

With trepidation, instead of just letting this go, let me ask if I understand you correctly. The biggest problem here is not the error. It is that not all phones have the same cosmetic issue. That those who saw the earlier phones and ordered (most of which could still cancel and in fact have to confirm to continue their order) are now suffering because they have the opportunity of a very "special offer" while there are a few (mostly those who worked towards our community at CanJam), because of circumstances, had a slightly better "extra-special offer." So what irks you most is someone is coming out slightly ahead of others (or specifically you), and even if everyone in the end benefits, it's just not fair and there needs to be retribution. Is this correct?

P.S. And you never have to rant.

Jul 8, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #457 of 704
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*conspiracy theory edit: After the HF-1 resale thing, which I understand the frustration over but also have to say 'too bad' to Grado if the resale was higher since Grado set the initial selling price it must have been acceptable to them, with no chance of corrected replacements for the HF-2 it's possible this was done as a way to lower the resale value for the vast majority of these phones or at least keep it from going up so much so fast...

As the president of Coca-Cola famously said in response to conspiracy theories after the botched introduction of New Coke then the successful reintroduction of Coke Classic, "We are not that stupid, or that smart."

I think the best way for Grado to counter the resale issue for the HF-2 would be to keep the model available for a longer period of time, say through the end of 2009. That would put the supply at a level that would reduce demand for pre-owned units.

However, given that a bunch of typo cups already exist, perhaps Grado could have offered buyers a choice: get the typo version for a discount (say, $20 or $25?), or wait for a corrected one at full price. That way, Grado wouldn't get stuck with the bad parts (they'd all sell eventually), and buyers who accept the botched version would do so without feeling like they somehow got the short end of the deal.

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #459 of 704
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With trepidation, instead of just letting this go, let me ask if I understand you correctly. The biggest problem here is not the error. It is that not all phones have the same cosmetic issue. That those who saw the earlier phones and ordered (most of which could still cancel and in fact have to confirm to continue their order) are now suffering because they have the opportunity of a very "special offer" while there are a few (mostly those who worked towards our community at CanJam), because of circumstances, had a slightly better "extra-special offer." So what irks you most is someone is coming out slightly ahead of others (or specifically you), and even if everyone in the end benefits, it's just not fair and there needs to be retribution. Is this correct?

P.S. And you never have to rant.

I think you're focusing too much on one adjective, the original post was quite short but I kept adding to it. It bothers (and amazes) me that such an obvious screwup gets through the entire production chain until it's in customer's hands and the response is 'like it or leave it' when the initial ones and the basis upon which most people ordered did not have such a defect. A special edition product should have more care and attention than that. So yes it's not right that two types end up out in the wild - just because some people contribute to the head-fi community more and made it to the show is no reason they ought to be the only ones with correctly-made phones, the rest of us are also valid paying customers although I guess we aren't all that valued. That does bother me although maybe not 'most,' I'm sorry if that somehow offends you and makes me a bad guy rather than just bowing down to the 'opportunity.' I'm not ungrateful these were made, I'm ungrateful that the defect has been deemed acceptable.

I never used the word 'retribution' which has an intent of revenge and is different from 'concession' which has an intent of apology - the only apology here is 'you can cancel.' You seem to find such a defect acceptable with the 'excuse' that it's a special offer for Head-Fi'ers (not really, anyone can order but whatever) and so on, that's all well and good but this isn't just a charity, we're also paying customers.

As for not 'having' to rant - no, I guess I didn't need to but then it just gives the perception such screwups are acceptable. I'm sure I'll enjoy listening to the phones but every time I look at the cups I'll be reminded they were screwed up in an obvious way. I'm also sure it's very unlikely I'll ever buy another Grado product, perhaps les_garten is right about Grado not being up to snuff in QC which is a shame because I like supporting small American businesses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, given that a bunch of typo cups already exist, perhaps Grado could have offered buyers a choice: get the typo version for a discount (say, $20 or $25?), or wait for a corrected one at full price. That way, Grado wouldn't get stuck with the bad parts (they'd all sell eventually), and buyers who accept the botched version would do so without feeling like they somehow got the short end of the deal.

Yeah the conspiracy bit was just for fun really
tongue.gif
because I'm amazed that such a defect made it through the production chain I had to think 'why and how' beyond simple mistake and no one noticing it at all. Some kind of concession like that would at least show they care and are willing to do something to make it right. A lot of talk about 'special opportunity' and 'community' is great but if a member of a community screws up they ought to do something to make it right to those affected, Grado is no exception.

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #461 of 704
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ordered on 16th. been out of town and just came back.
no hf2 yet.

hmm.. more delay or it's being shipped little by little?

Todd is shipping out 50/week every Friday. So far, 100 have been shipped.

Oh, and if you haven't heard yet, the engraving on the can says Head-F1 instead of Head-Fi, so Todd would like people to email him to confirm that they would like to keep their order. If you don't want the Head-F1, then it's too bad because they are not changing it.

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #462 of 704
Quote:

no hf2 yet.

50 per week, the first 50 were shipped out last Friday, with another 50 to be shipped this Friday, ...

Also, you'll want to read and respond-as-requested (or not) to Todd's latest post:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f36/hf...ml#post5826310

Catching up upon return is half the fun of being out of town.
tongue.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #463 of 704
Quote:

no hf2 yet.

Todd said that by this Friday that the first 100 orders will be shipped. It amounts to 50 pairs shipped every week but you have to factor another week delay of shipping from Grado to TTVJ. Maybe your in the third batch, so my guess is two weeks from now. This is just speculation, hope you get yours soon as I am in the same waiting game as yourself. BTW, I ordered on the 15th but in the evening and no shipping notice yet. Sigh...

edit...beaten to the response...You fellas are quick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back