HF-2 B stock final count
Mar 7, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #152 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those of you saying these are dark, most Grados are considered to be quite bright, so do you mean that these are just darker than most Grados, or are they really dark, warm headphones that don't really even sound like Grados?

Hopefully mine arrive tomorrow.

x2,what do you mean guys by dark?sennheiser dark?i am very interested to know because i am cinsidering them.

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #153 of 185
Quote:

Those of you saying these are dark, most Grados are considered to be quite bright, so do you mean that these are just darker than most Grados, or are they really dark, warm headphones that don't really even sound like Grados?

Hopefully mine arrive tomorrow.

I asked that of someone a while ago. Don't know if it was this thread or the other one. Seems they're dark by any standards. That doesn't mean the highs are non-existent, just that the bass is heavy. General consensus seems to be that while regular Grados are bright and these are dark, all the energy of the Grado sound comes from the midrange and these still have that magic midrange.

I also imagine that they're not as dark as Grados are bright, so the sound is more balanced. I'll see. I just sent David an e-mail so I should be able to fill out the LD I+ invoice soon. Then just give it up to two weeks to ship!

Alright, got the LD ordered. Have to wait 3-5 business days for the eCheck to clear, then 3-4 days for the LD to get finished/checked, then 4-10 days to ship. So sometime between 10-19 business days! Argh, the waiting hurts.

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #154 of 185
I don't notice much of a difference with these phones going from my stxs built in amp to my canamp so amping does not seem to be extremely critical with these phones. One thing I gotta say is these cans really are a lot more engaging than my k701s which sound boring in comparison now. I will be picking up a pair of hd650s this week to compare how they sound to the hf2s. I think they will fit my listening preferences much better than my k701s. Also I took that foam out of my cups I realized it actually was affecting the sound quite dramatically.

Mar 7, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #155 of 185
So are these going to sound really similar to my D5000s then? I bought them because I thought they'd have a brighter sound than the D5000s :|

EDIT: Well, after thinking about it I'm assuming that the bass isn't overpowering at all on these like it is on the Denons, which would probably make them perfect for me.

Here's hoping!

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #156 of 185
Well I didn't find my SR-225 bright at all when I had them. Of course, I only had AD700 to compare them to. I find them dark all together but the highs are shrilling for me :S Like in some songs when a guitar solo comes in, the really high notes played can sometimes make me squint. A more than moderate volume wouldn't help, but I have never had this problem before. Maybe Grado's are no longer for me? Maybe I need the jumbo's? Maybe they need to be fully burned in. I am not sure. I am going to be burning them in over the next week 24/7 hopefully, with breaks whilst I charge my Walkman X1060.

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #157 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I didn't find my SR-225 bright at all when I had them. Of course, I only had AD700 to compare them to. I find them dark all together but the highs are shrilling for me :S Like in some songs when a guitar solo comes in, the really high notes played can sometimes make me squint. A more than moderate volume wouldn't help, but I have never had this problem before. Maybe Grado's are no longer for me? Maybe I need the jumbo's? Maybe they need to be fully burned in. I am not sure. I am going to be burning them in over the next week 24/7 hopefully, with breaks whilst I charge my Walkman X1060.

Shriller than a SR225? Hm. You do probably need a little burn-in. Jumbos will definitely not help. The more space you put between your ears and driver the shriller the highs are going to get. You could always try tucking a layer of thin foam between the bowls and the cup and punching some holes in it.

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #158 of 185
Thats is what I was thinking. But people seem to put some sort of material, like Chux Wipes to cover the driver, so that there is no sibilance etc. Yes, I do believe that I need to burn these in, they only have about 50 hours on them so far. 150 to go
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #160 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by gknix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would be a good pair to complement these HF-2s?

Denons (laid back), Beyers (neutral if you get T1, otherwise very bright), Senn (laid back, neutral if you go HD800), or just about anything since Grados have a very unique coloration.

For example, from what I understand, the HF-2 are actually quite balanced, but they are nowhere near neutral because of the coloration. Their midrange is known to be extremely involving and aggressive, as well as the highs. The HF-2s also are said to have quite good bass.

Mar 9, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #161 of 185
Quote:

For example, from what I understand, the HF-2 are actually quite balanced, but they are nowhere near neutral because of the coloration. Their midrange is known to be extremely involving and aggressive, as well as the highs. The HF-2s also are said to have quite good bass.

Why describe it if you haven't heard it?

Mar 9, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #162 of 185
From the other less active thread.

I received mine two days ago and I can say that they are my favourite can so far, currently I have the RS1 and its much more bright which put the details more at front and they are more easily noticeable which its extremely fatigueting after sometime and the tone in the HF2 are more musically enjoyable, that's just how it sounds to me.
Happy customer, Thanks Todd
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #163 of 185
Too me, the hf2s were exactly what I wanted. I love the bass, i love the look. I would gladly pay the $500+ people are selling them for before I bought the rs1is again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I received mine two days ago and I can say that they are my favourite can so far, currently I have the RS1 and its much more bright which put the details more at front and they are more easily noticeable which its extremely fatigueting after sometime and the tone in the HF2 are more musically enjoyable, that's just how it sounds to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #164 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why describe it if you haven't heard it?

Because this is Head-Fi, man. Where do you think I got all my posts?
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Man, RS1s are my dream headphone (and the HE-5. And T1 too, thanks to MacedonianHero). If these sound even close I'll be happy. And if I like them more like you do, then I will be very happy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by schwallman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too me, the hf2s were exactly what I wanted. I love the bass, i love the look. I would gladly pay the $500+ people are selling them for before I bought the rs1is again.

Good to see you're enjoying them, and good to see I probably will too! I love the look too, bested only by buttonless RS1s and then only barely. After my love affair with the SR60i I can't say I'm a basshead, but I've never heard good bass so I'll see
biggrin.gif

I probably should just buy a cheap Radioshack 1/4-->1/8 adaptor then return it in a few weeks when the amp comes, but I think the wait will make things all the sweeter. And I'm enjoying my uDAC too much right now to throw awesome headphones into the mix and overshadow it so soon.

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #165 of 185
They were great OTB, and i let them play whenever they arent on my head. They have only gotten better with time. One day if i ever find the perfect deal on some rs1s. I might grab them but I wont pay more than i did the hf2s, since i think the hf2s are better. If you have to try real hard to hear some riff fade into the background, are you really enjoying the music or are you trying to justify why this set of cans if really worth more money. Thats not fun to me, in the last 2 months Ive racked my brain comparing headphones. Id rather just enjoy my music and not have to analyze every note. Now I just need to stop buying tubes for an amp I dont even have yet. I will probably just go with the best opamp and tubes from various posts here and stop while im ahead. Anyway, im rambling and should have gone to bed an hour ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because this is Head-Fi, man. Where do you think I got all my posts?
tongue.gif

Man, RS1s are my dream headphone (and the HE-5. And T1 too, thanks to MacedonianHero). If these sound even close I'll be happy. And if I like them more like you do, then I will be very happy.

Good to see you're enjoying them, and good to see I probably will too! I love the look too, bested only by buttonless RS1s and then only barely. After my love affair with the SR60i I can't say I'm a basshead, but I've never heard good bass so I'll see
biggrin.gif

I probably should just buy a cheap Radioshack 1/4-->1/8 adaptor then return it in a few weeks when the amp comes, but I think the wait will make things all the sweeter. And I'm enjoying my uDAC too much right now to throw awesome headphones into the mix and overshadow it so soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back