HF-1: Headfier profiteering
Apr 14, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #151 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321
Learn from your mistake.

Jump on the headfive while you still can.

People will complain about how the headfives will sell for 350-400 by the end of the year.

umm, i highly doubt it. it's an amp, not a headphone first of all. Secondly, the architecture is similar enough to the MKII that I'm not so sure it'll be as good of a deal as the HF-1. Admittedly, the price could go up to maybe 300-350, but I don't think inflation along the lines of the HF-1 is a certainty.

The only way to know for sure is to actually hear the amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #152 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321
Learn from your mistake.

Jump on the headfive while you still can.

People will complain about how the headfives will sell for 350-400 by the end of the year.

How is it my "mistake" that I wasn't on Head-fi when you could order an HF-1 freely from Grado for 200$?

Apr 14, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #154 of 245
How is it my fault I wasn't alive when coke stock was $0.25. I think I should be entitled to 100,000 shares of coca cola for $25,000...

Apr 14, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #155 of 245
On the Headfive- since it's a rather small amp, it lacks the capacity to be DIYed to perfection...thus the owners of better amps would not have a perticular reason to own one... unlike headphones which even orpehus owners have HD600s, i dobut that a headroom max owner would care that much about the Headfive-there are exceptions, but this is generally the line i'm seeing between the Headfive and the HF-1.
I do think that the headfive will become the defacto 300 dollar amp around here, knowing how the HAI MKII sounds makes me confident of this. For me the decision was rather clear... i could sell my older meier and get something a little better for 20 dollars more. I ended up selling my HAI MKII at a 60 dollar loss (from 290 to 230) but in the end that money was lost anyway...my ownly decision was whether i would take the bite from HAK to MKII....so to Dr Meier: i better be worth the extra 20
icon10.gif

Apr 14, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #156 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
How is it my "mistake" that I wasn't on Head-fi when you could order an HF-1 freely from Grado for 200$?

yawn... you think this is the only time in your life when you'll miss out on an opportunity because you weren't around?

Apr 14, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #157 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
yawn... you think this is the only time in your life when you'll miss out on an opportunity because you weren't around?

No. And it's happened before and I'm sure it'll happen again. I agree with you. But someone was trying to tell me it was my fault that I wasn't in Head-fi while these were selling.

Apr 14, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #158 of 245
Quote:

No. And it's happened before and I'm sure it'll happen again. I agree with you. But someone was trying to tell me it was my fault that I wasn't in Head-fi while these were selling.

If not your fault, then who's?

Apr 14, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #159 of 245
Duke I see your points

but the big point , imho , is that the cans were made for nice reasons AND also to support , finance head-fi ..
speculating while having these reasons in mind is not good thing
imo , here the matter of discussion come to an end ; from here on , one who have understood - or not - the point is free to do whatever he wants ( buy sell price and whatever ) and he has only to do with his conscience. The Fs market is a free market .

Apr 14, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #160 of 245
Quote:

I don't think they were trying to say that it's your fault but some of your resentment is a direct result of missing out on the buying opportunity. What you are currently faced with is a market that will bear whatever price the buyer and seller deem acceptable and that price makes you upset. I don't blame you for being upset but I'm also not going to get upset for someone selling a headphone for whatever someone else is willing to pay.

Apr 14, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #161 of 245
Basic economics lesson for those railing against so called HF-1 "profiteering":

Artificial price ceilings establish a huge gap between the demand for a good and the supply, with the demand far outstripping the supply. As Grawk notes in an earlier post, if buyers artifically colluded to set a price ceiling, so that no one would pay more than, say, $250, you'd have a lot more buyers out there willing to pay $250 than willing to pay current market which we'll assume is $350. At the exact same time, you'd have far fewer willing sellers out there willing to sell at $250 than at the current market price of $350 - there are more owners (the pool of sellers) who think that the can is worth $250 than $350. As a result, HF-1's, which are already fairly scarce, would become substantially more scarce - your chances of ever owning a pair would become substantially slimmer. Eventually there would be a black market and transaction behavior would be done off head-fi. Say eBay.

The phones were basically issued at a discount to their value. You missed the opportunity. Had you been a member in September 05, you would have gotten in. You didn't. Too bad. Now you will pay market, which is more than what you could have paid. I missed out on the Baby Orpheus. I missed out on the PS-1. I just got in on the L3000. That's how things go. You're here now. If you want to hear these phones, pay your market rate. If they are worth it, you will keep them. If not, you will sell them for market rate. You will recover the better part of your investment. As I see it, that's the beauty of this forum. I've got a lot of money tied up in headphones, but because of the liquidity offered by the head-fi trading forums, I'm not going to take a horrible loss. You should be celebrating these markets! In they end, they make this hobby much cheaper for you since you can always liquidate your holdings without having to go to a used audio retailer who will buy them at a substantial discount. So pay whatever market is: if they're not worth it to you, then sell them! Else, ENJOY!

Apr 14, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #165 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
no need for 3 posts though

You sure about that?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back