HF-1: Headfier profiteering
Apr 14, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #121 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvallere
All you naysayers:

If you won a pair of HF-1 in a $10/ticket raffle and didn't want them, would you be willing to sell them to someone for $10? I don't think so. People sell things in order to make money, not to "help out" an underprivileged buyer.

confused.gif

that's reverse engeneering working here

Apr 14, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #122 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvallere
All you naysayers:

If you won a pair of HF-1 in a $10/ticket raffle and didn't want them, would you be willing to sell them to someone for $10? I don't think so. People sell things in order to make money, not to "help out" an underprivileged buyer.

I never said I was "underpriveleged". And now you're being silly. I'm saying to sell what they should be bought for. If you win one in a raffle for 10$ then retail price, not street. But you do raise a good point.

Apr 14, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #123 of 245
For what it's worth, I agree with you Duke... but weren't you trying to offer me $300 for my HF-1's at the Toronto meet???
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 14, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #124 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
For what it's worth, I agree with you Duke... but weren't you trying to offer me $300 for my HF-1's at the Toronto meet???
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yes. I did mean Canadian however, plus there really isn't a shipping issue. The offer still stands.

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #125 of 245
Remind me again what this thread has accomplished other than stirring up resentment and rehashing what has been covered at length in previous threads...

That said, I can't imagine what sum of money it would take for me to part with my HF-1's. There are better non-Grado cans for the money, but they're a unique value in the Grado line-up and are still a steal at $300-$350 when compared to the 225 @ $200, the 325i @ $300 and teh RS-2 @ $500.

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #126 of 245
Look at it this way:

The ONLY way you're gonna get a pair of HF1s if you miss the main sale is if you can convince someone to sell them. There's a reason why limited things tend to go up after they're not available commercially anymore. Todd requested that people not use ebay to sell the HF1s. That's fair. But you can't expect to pay some fee that you determine is appropriate over purchase price and have that be it. Economics doesn't work that way. Take out the profit incentive, and there will be even fewer HF1s available for purchase. So if you really want them, you're better off with there being profitteers. Because I'm sure not selling mine. I made that mistake once, and getting them back wasn't easy...

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #127 of 245
Sure the pricing stinks, but people have the right to sell what they own for what they want. Who is the buyer to say what the seller should price something at? And what's to stop the buyer from buying at a lower rate and then turning around 6 months later and selling them for more Just take their word for it?

There will always be the lurkers who will snatch them up anyhow, when the rest are complaining.

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #128 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by lumanogin
Sure the pricing stinks, but people have the right to sell what they own for what they want. Who is the buyer to say what the seller should price something at? And what's to stop the buyer from buying at a lower rate and then turning around 6 months later and selling them for more Just take their word for it?

There will always be the lurkers who will snatch them up anyhow, when the rest are complaining.

Of course they have the right to sell them for what they want. It's just the buyers shouldn't pay that much is all. And to the above person who said that at 300-350$ is still a bargain, I say that the 650s and k701 can be found used for less and sound better then the HF-1. It's just that the HF-1 have "Grado sound".

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #129 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
I say that the 650s and k701 can be found used for less and sound better then the HF-1.

I'd have to disagree there.
tongue.gif

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #130 of 245
Quote:

Of course they have the right to sell them for what they want. It's just the buyers shouldn't pay that much is all. And to the above person who said that at 300-350$ is still a bargain, I say that the 650s and k701 can be found used for less and sound better then the HF-1. It's just that the HF-1 have "Grado sound".

It's either worth it or not. If it's not worth it to you, then don't buy it. If it is...buy it. Simple. I'd love it if someone would sell me their Ferrari F40 for $40k. After all, they're getting kinda old, right?

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #131 of 245
Quote:

Then go buy 650's or 701's and stop complaining. Stop acting like everyone here owes you something. Just because you don't want to pay that much, or are now refusing to pay that much doesn't mean you should go around attacking the sellers and buyers who are.

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #132 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321
Stop acting like everyone here owes you something. Just because you don't want to pay that much, or are now refusing to pay that much doesn't mean you should go around attacking the sellers and buyers who are.

He's not acting like that at all... just trying to get people to stop paying the crazy prices that people are charging so that the average price goes down. It is not like this type of idea is new or anything, happens in business all the time.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #133 of 245
Todd said in the last sale that those were the last HF-1s being sold. No more. Zip. Nada. So that means there will be only 451 HF-1s in existence ever, and that number can only go down. Accidents happens, things get stolen, broken, lost, so eventually there will only be 440 HF-1s left, and then 430, and so on. The reason people are able to trade their HF-1s for RS-1s or Sennheiser 650s is because you can get one of those anytime you want. Want to buy one new, call Todd. Want to buy one used, there's always one selling every week or so. Sure those are techically superior headphones, but Grado will be pumping out RS-1s for another 20+ years while HF-1s will NEVER be made again. If you wanted to buy them new, and you couldn't, well tough luck. I missed out, but I understand how economics work. If all those "profiteers" were really smart they would hold on to their HF-1s for 10 years when they reach HP-2 rarity and then really profit. And all those saying that people should sell them at retail to support the community, why don't you try that in life? Tell you boss that you want a salary that's just enough to pay your bills and eat, nothing left over for savings and leisure. See how long you do that.

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #134 of 245
Quote:

And to the above person who said that at 300-350$ is still a bargain, I say that the 650s and k701 can be found used for less and sound better then the HF-1. It's just that the HF-1 have "Grado sound".

Ummm, read what I said... I'll even quote it for you so you don't have to scroll up...

Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
There are better non-Grado cans for the money, but they're a unique value in the Grado line-up and are still a steal at $300-$350 when compared to the 225 @ $200, the 325i @ $300 and teh RS-2 @ $500.

I know my 650's, even with the stock cable, are a technically superior can, but I'd have to get into the RS-2 range to get a Grado can that sounds like my DIY-woodied HF-1. So again, in the Grado line-up, they're a steal priced anywhere between 325i and the RS-2, which is where I rank their performance. And this is ignoring any exclucivity of it being a limited run headphone.

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #135 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
He's not acting like that at all... just trying to get people to stop paying the crazy prices that people are charging so that the average price goes down. It is not like this type of idea is new or anything, happens in business all the time.
rolleyes.gif

I agree and with 20,000+ members and counting, there will ALWAYS be someone willing to pay the price...however outrageous it might be sometimes and I haven't seen anything astronomically marked up on Head-Fi yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back