HF-1: Headfier profiteering
Apr 14, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #136 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
Ummm, read what I said... I'll even quote it for you so you don't have to scroll up...

I know my 650's, even with the stock cable, are a technically superior can, but I'd have to get into the RS-2 range to get a Grado can that sounds like my DIY-woodied HF-1. So again, in the Grado line-up, they're a steal priced anywhere between 325i and the RS-2, which is where I rank their performance. And this is ignoring any exclucivity of it being a limited run headphone.

Thank you for not wasting my precious seconds in scrolling upwards. Maybe you should've reconsidered the word "unique" in unique value.

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #137 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by YukiBear
Todd said in the last sale that those were the last HF-1s being sold. No more. Zip. Nada. So that means there will be only 451 HF-1s in existence ever, and that number can only go down. Accidents happens, things get stolen, broken, lost, so eventually there will only be 440 HF-1s left, and then 430, and so on. The reason people are able to trade their HF-1s for RS-1s or Sennheiser 650s is because you can get one of those anytime you want. Want to buy one new, call Todd. Want to buy one used, there's always one selling every week or so. Sure those are techically superior headphones, but Grado will be pumping out RS-1s for another 20+ years while HF-1s will NEVER be made again. If you wanted to buy them new, and you couldn't, well tough luck. I missed out, but I understand how economics work. If all those "profiteers" were really smart they would hold on to their HF-1s for 10 years when they reach HP-2 rarity and then really profit. And all those saying that people should sell them at retail to support the community, why don't you try that in life? Tell you boss that you want a salary that's just enough to pay your bills and eat, nothing left over for savings and leisure. See how long you do that.

I never said anything about selling them at retail to "support the community".

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #138 of 245
This thread is ridiculous. You have a limited supply which is allowing some owners to sell at a higher price because buyers in the market are willing to pay for it. What's the problem? If you don't like, don't buy it. If you regret not buying it when the price was cheaper, get over it. When did Head-fi turn into the "Whine" & Cheese Club?

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #139 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321
Then go buy 650's or 701's and stop complaining. Stop acting like everyone here owes you something. Just because you don't want to pay that much, or are now refusing to pay that much doesn't mean you should go around attacking the sellers and buyers who are.

And I'm not acting as if they owe me anything I don't know where you get all these ideas from. I've said a bazillion times that sellers can sell for whatever they want. I'm saying buyers shouldn't pay as much. Take the Xbox 360 for example. There was extreme gouging when they were sold out everywhere. Some went for about 1000$ with some accessories. Eventually stock caught up and now they can be found below retail. I'm not saying to wait until there is another run of HF-1s because there won't. But there will be more Grados being released in the eventual future. Until then some people will pay 350$ for HF-1s. And if they want to justify that then whatever.

And I'd say that I'd rather have the "Grado sound" over the K701s and 650s, but others would find those better headphones for the money.

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #140 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix
No, they should just integrate it into their product lineup and keep on selling it. I don't see what you mean by making 20000 and risk wasting them. Obviously this doesn't happen with the rest of the Grados because otherwise, Grado as a company would be screwed, right?

20,000 is a lot of phones. It would have taken them more than a year to sell those. The cost parts and inventory would have really hurt them on that sort of run.

Besides the phones were limited edition, and made in limited quantities because they represented a pair of phones that offered a better price/performance ratio than anything else in their lineup.

If they sold them as a regular model for $200 I'd bet that nobody would buy SR-225s or SR325s anymore, and that really isn't good business sense for Grado Labs. They basically offered us a gift that couldn't last for long and they did it with a quantity they were comfortable with.

So if the did what you want them to do, they would be screwed and they'd have to lower prices on their whole to compete with themselves.

That is why there is so much anger here about people unfairly capitalizing by buying more than one by cheating the system because they took twice the "gift" that the honest ones did.

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #141 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
i don't see how this community is any worse just because people are selling headphones at a profit. i echo spaceconvoy's sentiment that if you're the legitimate owner of an hf-1 (or other item) you should sell it however you want...sell it at cost, at a profit, donate them, whatever. i payed a nice little premium for my sr200...surely way more than the original price...why should i expect the seller to sell them for less than he/she could legitimately get for them? just because we're both in the head-fi community?
rolleyes.gif
i understand todd's displeasure with those who were selling them on ebay, but within the community, i don't see the problem.

no one's ripping anyone off...stop complaining.

The problem really is about those who bought more than one through underhanded means to profit. If a person honestly bought just one, they should be allowed to do whatever they want with it.

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #142 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
I never said I was "underpriveleged". And now you're being silly. I'm saying to sell what they should be bought for. If you win one in a raffle for 10$ then retail price, not street. But you do raise a good point.

I shouldn't have used the word "underprivileged." What I meant was, people choose to sell things because they want the money...not because they want some unknown buyer to get a bargain. And I understand that people want to MAKE a little money (if possible).

I have a pair of $300 IEMs I'm thinking of selling, but I'm not going to list them for $200 just to help out somebody looking for a bargain. I'll list them at a price that is reasonable for the buyer and hopefully not too much of a loss for me. It seems to me that most of the HF-1 sellers are doing the same thing - striking the right balance between what they want and what they can expect to get. In the case of the HF-1 it just happens to be higher than the original retail.

If there were really a problem with this, nobody would be buying the used HF-1s and the FS forum would be full of them.

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #143 of 245
repost

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #144 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
Thank you for not wasting my precious seconds in scrolling upwards. Maybe you should've reconsidered the word "unique" in unique value.

My pleasure.

Why would I reconsider the use of the word unique? The headphones, their sound and there place in the Grado lineup is unique... sounds about right to me.

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #145 of 245
Has anyone else noticed that there are routinely in excess of 800 members browsing these fora on a regular and constant basis?
This means server/bandwidth upgrades - which aren't pocket change.
Post HeadFive, another opportunity for this discussion over the HF-2, perhaps?
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #146 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvallere
people choose to sell things because they want the money...not because they want some unknown buyer to get a bargain.

This is not universally true. I sold mine because I wasn't using them much and there were people eager for them who had no way to get them except used. Had it been only about the money, I wouldn't have bothered with the hassle of selling, shipping, etc.

Apr 14, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #149 of 245
Personal property is personal property, to be done with what the posessor wishes. All this chatter about honor and extra-legal limitations is indignant vanity. They are a posession, an item, and commerce being what it is they will be sold for what the market will bear, not for what an individual buyer wishes to pay.

Apr 14, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #150 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvallere
All you naysayers:

If you won a pair of HF-1 in a $10/ticket raffle and didn't want them, would you be willing to sell them to someone for $10? I don't think so. People sell things in order to make money, not to "help out" an underprivileged buyer.

you don't really play poker do you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back