HF-1: Headfier profiteering
Apr 14, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #106 of 245
As I've thought about this, I don't really feel someone selling those for whatever they're going for is so bad, or at least any worse than the myriad sellers who treat the for-sale-forums like ebay or those who insist on asking for a new price for their used phones.

I can't say I fault someone for trying to maximize their profit, but if you want to contribute to and foster the "community" feel that so many talk about, that's not the way to do it.

Apr 14, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #107 of 245
I take it a lot of the opinions expressed in this thread are somewhat in regards to the fact that I am selling my HF-1's. I just want to point out that a lot of the assumptions made are completely unture (in my case).
I joined Headfi about 2 weeks before there was even mention of a sale of some more HF-1's. In fact, I posted a WTB thread in the headphone sale forum to see if I could get a pair. In other words, I just wanted to hear these great limited edition cans. The price was a little too much for me though.
Luckily I was able to get a pair during the latest sale. However, I've recently had some financial troubles which will be costing me an extra $500/month. Being a university student this obviously is an issue for me. So I put out an IC to see if I could sell the phones for about what I found to be market value. I honestly would prefer to sell them at the price I paid. But it would not help my situation (only cover the cost of the headphone) and in that case I would prefer not to sell them, that is why I did an IC. Believe me or not, but that's how it is.
Anyways, reading this thread made me a little frustrated as people are jumping to conclusions about everyone selling HF-1's and I needed to vent a little. I know I don't have a lot of clout because of my low post count, but nonetheless I wanted to post. Thanks.
Aaron

Apr 14, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #108 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
I don't mind if there's a "small" (~30$) finders fee, but no more gouging.

I agree, but it's useful to remember that it takes two for a "gouge" to take place. The uninformed/desperate buyer is as much to blame as the seller IMO, just as they are when they pay $280 for a used pair of phones that go for $289 new.

Apr 14, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #109 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by goalie35
I take it a lot of the opinions expressed in this thread are somewhat in regards to the fact that I am selling my HF-1's. I just want to point out that a lot of the assumptions made are completely unture (in my case).
I joined Headfi about 2 weeks before there was even mention of a sale of some more HF-1's. In fact, I posted a WTB thread in the headphone sale forum to see if I could get a pair. In other words, I just wanted to hear these great limited edition cans. The price was a little too much for me though.
Luckily I was able to get a pair during the latest sale. However, I've recently had some financial troubles which will be costing me an extra $500/month. Being a university student this obviously is an issue for me. So I put out an IC to see if I could sell the phones for about what I found to be market value. I honestly would prefer to sell them at the price I paid. But it would not help my situation (only cover the cost of the headphone) and in that case I would prefer not to sell them, that is why I did an IC. Believe me or not, but that's how it is.
Anyways, reading this thread made me a little frustrated as people are jumping to conclusions about everyone selling HF-1's and I needed to vent a little. I know I don't have a lot of clout because of my low post count, but nonetheless I wanted to post. Thanks.
Aaron

So....then you need money for bills but decided not to sell them...hmm....interesting.

Apr 14, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #111 of 245
unfortunately is plain normal there's people who try to make profit on a limited edition hyped item , or around collectibles .

I don't see what's all this fuss about

Apr 14, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #113 of 245
Quote:

So....then you need money for bills but decided not to sell them...hmm....interesting.

Who said I decided not to sell them? I said I wouldn't sell them for what I paid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321
how is that any business of yours?

Thank you.

Aaron

Apr 14, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #114 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321
how is that any business of yours?

As a seller it is my business to choose whether or not to buy the product and for what price.

Apr 14, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #115 of 245
Quote:

The HF-1s were supposed to be a (relatively) cheap way to get some woodies to the general head-fi community. By re-selling these for almost 100% more then retail (350 vs 200) then you're defeating the purpose of the hf-1s. I plan to pick a set up over the summer to someone with a reasonable asking price. I don't mind if there's a "small" (~30$) finders fee, but no more gouging.

no, they were a way for grado to help jude and the rising costs of head-fi by providing a custom, limited edition set of headphones with a part of each purchase going to head-fi. the fact that they were wood and that the drivers were modified and that they were (relatively) cheap were all terrific, but simply providing a set of wood headphones to the head-fi community was NOT the original intent.

it's certainly your decision as to how much you're willing to pay for a pair, but don't get upset at people who pay a lot more for them
rolleyes.gif

Apr 14, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #116 of 245
I only want to add that selling the HF-1 for the price that it originally had on this site would be the most forthcoming thing to do for this community.

Apr 14, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #117 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
no, they were a way for grado to help jude and the rising costs of head-fi by providing a custom, limited edition set of headphones with a part of each purchase going to head-fi. the fact that they were wood and that the drivers were modified and that they were (relatively) cheap were all terrific, but simply providing a set of wood headphones to the head-fi community was NOT the original intent.

it's certainly your decision as to how much you're willing to pay for a pair, but don't get upset at people who pay a lot more for them
rolleyes.gif

yeah this is the very sad thing indid .
Grado in some way try ( also ) to significatively help Head-fi , then head-fiers make some money on it.
bah.
bleah.
bad.
they will find theirself all in hell , all listening togheter to some 'HPBs for eternity
[size=xx-small]( Highly Piercing Bose systems )[/size]

Apr 14, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #118 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino

rolleyes.gif

Maybe I haven't re-iterated my point clearly. I don't like sellers that sell their HF-1s for 350$. I'm not upset at that and I'm sure they're all really nice people. I'm just saying that we should bring down the "street price" on these by not buying expensive products then the market price will fall. HOPEFULLY within the next year we'll see a similar implementation by Grado. Hopefully they'll catch wind of threads like this and do something about it. Cheers.

Apr 14, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #119 of 245
Quote:

Maybe I haven't re-iterated my point clearly. I don't like sellers that sell their HF-1s for 350$. I'm not upset at that and I'm sure they're all really nice people. I'm just saying that we should bring down the "street price" on these by not buying expensive products then the market price will fall. HOPEFULLY within the next year we'll see a similar implementation by Grado. Hopefully they'll catch wind of threads like this and do something about it. Cheers.

I had no problem paying over $300 for a pair of HF-1's, and I'm sure the person who bought them from me, as well as some others that were interested in them wouldn't mind paying the market price for them. If you can't afford them, then don't buy them. If you really want them, save up, and buy a pair later.

Also, if you're going to PM sellers about how much they sold them for, it's not very polite to turn it around against them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back