HF-1: Headfier profiteering
Apr 14, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #76 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
Almost everyone who said "let it go" either:

1) Already has a set
2) Didn't want a set (don't like Grado sound perhaps)
3) Already made a profit on an HF-1
4) Has something better (RS-1/RS-2/HP1/....)

I have a solution. Do what I'm doing. DON'T BUY OVERPRICED HF-1s. If people keep buying these cans for alot of money, then it makes other sellers want the same amount of cash so that's the "market value". Price is directly related to demand. High demand; high price. But if demand fell and these people ("these people" shouldn't be taken derogatively) wanted to upgrade to something better but there wasn't any interest for 350$ US then the prices would go down. STOP BUYING OVERPRICED HF-1s. I'm tired to telling sellers to stop gouging, so now I'm telling the interested buyers that if we all stop paying so much for HF-1s the price will go down. Cheers and if you have a problem or want to flame me I cleared my pm box.

-The Duke

Absolutely.

What has happened has happened, and I guess we all know better for next time.

However, you are the only one who has proposed a valid solution for the current (unfortunate) situation. It's hard to manage practically, but it is the right idea.

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #77 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71
Absolutely.

What has happened has happened, and I guess we all know better for next time.

However, you are the only one who has proposed a valid solution for the current (unfortunate) situation. It's hard to manage practically, but it is the right idea.

Just don't buy them. It's as simple as that. They can't gouge what they can't sell...

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #78 of 245
I think you guys are exaggerating way too much. The 400$ hf-1's were a really rare occurance that only happened late last year. Recent Hf-1's have been between 300-350$ now, which isn't entirely unreasonable as the hf-1 is much better than the 225. Is it a 350$ headphone? I don't think so. Is it a 300$ headphone? Yea, if it was sold in the grado line for 300 i'd buy it. The fact that people paid 200$ for it is entirely irrelevant, its a limited edition headphone and appreciates.

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #79 of 245
Quote:

Just don't buy them. It's as simple as that. They can't gouge what they can't sell...

There's always Ebay....

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321
The fact that people paid 200$ for it is entirely irrelevant, its a limited edition headphone and appreciates.

Basically that's how it is. When things are sought after (and are no longer in production, the value appreciates.

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #80 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321
I think you guys are exaggerating way too much. The 400$ hf-1's were a really rare occurance that only happened late last year. Recent Hf-1's have been between 300-350$ now, which isn't entirely unreasonable as the hf-1 is much better than the 225. Is it a 350$ headphone? I don't think so. Is it a 300$ headphone? Yea, if it was sold in the grado line for 300 i'd buy it. The fact that people paid 200$ for it is entirely irrelevant, its a limited edition headphone and appreciates.

Some people bought their HF-1 in the last month and are already re-selling them for ~150$ profit US. You're telling me they almost appreciated by double in a few weeks? The K340 took 20 years to get where they are today. It doesn't happen over a few weeks. In a few years when these are less common then sure prices will go up, but there is no shortage of HF-1s, only sellers who aren't out to make a profit.

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #81 of 245
Quote:

Some people bought their HF-1 in the last month and are already re-selling them for ~150$ profit US. You're telling me they almost appreciated by double in a few weeks? The K340 took 20 years to get where they are today. It doesn't happen over a few weeks. In a few years when these are less common then sure prices will go up, but there is no shortage of HF-1s, only sellers who aren't out to make a profit.

That was one person, not "some".

It doesn't matter when something was bought. If it is a limited edition item, the value will go up. An hf-1 is an hf-1 whether it is #1 or #500.

The a900 ltd's were selling for 350 the week after they sold out.

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #82 of 245
Quote:

From practical perspective it is still difficult as someone might "break the silence" at $300 and then assuming no one follows it will fall to $250 and 2 people might break the "silence" and so forth.

It was our inability to get everyone on the same page that got us in this bind in the first place.

I guess I'm just a pessimist when it comes to human behavior.

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #83 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71
From practical perspective it is still difficult as someone might "break the silence" at $300 and then assuming no one follows it will fall to $250 and 2 people might break the "silence" and so forth.

It was our inability to get everyone on the same page that got us in this bind in the first place.

I guess I'm just a pessimist when it comes to human behavior.

Even if we bring it down to say 275$ and say we will not pay more then we're good an ignore anything higher.

Apr 14, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #84 of 245
Quote:

Even if we bring it down to say 275$ and say we will not pay more then we're good an ignore anything higher.

There's always going to be that rogue who will bite at $280 so he/she doesn't risk going without.
icon10.gif

But if everyone had the sort of pessimism I have, then nothing would ever get accomplished.
icon10.gif

Apr 14, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #85 of 245
sxr71 said:
There's always going to be that rogue who will bite at $280 so he/she doesn't risk going without.
You're right. But still 280 vs. 350 is a big difference.

I know I'm getting attacked here which is good, and others who agree with me can voice their opinions. It is limited edition, yes. Until there will be something else. An HF-2 perhaps? Why would they start it at 1 if there wouldn't be a possibility for another revision? Todd's already expressed that he doesn't mind if they're sold here, but not on ebay. He may however have reservations on the gouging. And the fact of whether it is gouging or not is not a matter for discussion here. I'll say finally that I will not be paying more than 275$ for a HF-1. Maybe 300 if it's in premium condition (or sealed perhaps?). I can't force other people to do the same and there will be someone who will buy them for 305. Them "rogues" as someone earlier dubbed them. So be it. My money has better places to go then into someone else's pocket where I do not think it is deserved. Whether you've been on the forums for years now or its your first time, everyone should share equally. Clearly that is not the case. It is partially fair and unfair, because what can you do for the rest of the people? Not much. Finally, 350$ goes further then you'd think towards some decent cans and an amp.

Apr 14, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #86 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch
Here's how I look at it (not that you asked, I know).

John Grado and Todd very generously gave us the chance to buy something whose value substantially exceeded the price we paid for it. The owners received value paid for, plus a surplus of value over and above that. That surplus amounted to a gift from them to us, for the purpose of providing support to Head-Fi.

When reselling, you have to ask yourself whether you want to pass along that surplus - by selling based on 'list' price - or whether you are going to keep it for yourself - by selling at 'market' price. A related question is, "when I share in a gift offered to the community, do I fully own my share in that gift, or do I owe it back to the community when my use of it is over?"

Can't say I agree that selling a headphone at $200 is a "gift". Gifts are free...

As always, as soon as the Head-Fi community starts fully subsidizing headphone sales by making up any difference between what a community member paid and the lesser amount they sold for, all this talk about selling the HF-1 at a profit will be logically defensible.

Apr 14, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #87 of 245
Quote:

Almost everyone who said "let it go" either:

1) Already has a set
2) Didn't want a set (don't like Grado sound perhaps)
3) Already made a profit on an HF-1
4) Has something better (RS-1/RS-2/HP1/....)

I have a solution. Do what I'm doing. DON'T BUY OVERPRICED HF-1s. If people keep buying these cans for alot of money, then it makes other sellers want the same amount of cash so that's the "market value". Price is directly related to demand. High demand; high price. But if demand fell and these people ("these people" shouldn't be taken derogatively) wanted to upgrade to something better but there wasn't any interest for 350$ US then the prices would go down. STOP BUYING OVERPRICED HF-1s. I'm tired to telling sellers to stop gouging, so now I'm telling the interested buyers that if we all stop paying so much for HF-1s the price will go down. Cheers and if you have a problem or want to flame me I cleared my pm box.

-The Duke

true, but there is always gonna be someone will pay more. Someone who is very elastic and doesnt care about the price. They buy it as a collectors item vs the other type that is value oriented who wants a solid introduction into grado sound for a fair price. Now you take that i dont care what it costs, ill take it type and he messes up the curb for the rest of us. All the sellers see what the max selling price is then go for that or whatever they can get.

tell you the truth im not a die hard grado fan. I like the sound but hate the looks/build/comfort. Because the price/performance +collectors edition momento i would have gotten one for mild use but mainly as a keepsake. Something to post pics of on various forums to show im a true afficianto of headphones. Id pay 200 for the performance, 50 for collectors edition sentimental value. $350 for one? hell no, but that doesnt mean i dont want close original price.

I thought this was supposed to be a tight nit community where helping each other and passing along the experience was highly regarded? i guess if money is in the way then all bets are off and its market value eh? I've met some head-fiers in RL and they are fine ppl. I bet these people would never sell me something they got for 200 for 350. Hell even some small dyi builders hooking me up with free/discounted accessories just for taking the time to give them a try. Where are these ppl when we are talking about HF-1s.hell todd/grado are fine examples, why not follow in their lead in giving back to community.

Apr 14, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #88 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
You know, I'm a little offended by people who insinuate that all those with low post counts were lying in wait to snag these headphones and sell them on the black headphone market (ebay, I guess). It seems (and I may be wrong) like a very nasty way of saying "I didn't get one, but I damn well deserved it." We've got a LOT of lurkers here, as every board does. Just because they don't post every day and yell at Jahn for having such a rediculous post count doesn't mean they're not community members, you know? They still visit here and I'll bet they refer their friends to Head-Fi once in a while... expanding the base.

I'll admit that I was one of those lurkers that finally registered when the second HF-1 sale in October took place. The sale just happened to be at the right time for me because I was considering picking up a pair of Grados, but was undecided as to which one, and the announcement came around for the HF-1 and I just had to have it. I probably would have purchased an SR-60 or something otherwise.

My HF-1's are getting plenty of love and it would take a lot for me to give these up, but much like some here have done already, I do intend to give the opportunity to own these cans to a Head-Fi'er should that time to let them go ever comes.

Apr 14, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #89 of 245
Quote:

Why would they start it at 1 if there wouldn't be a possibility for another revision? Todd's already expressed that he doesn't mind if they're sold here, but not on ebay.

They didn't know this would happen when they gave the number 1. Didn't Todd also say in the same post that such behaviours diminished the chances of something like this occuring in the future?

Anyway, someone who replied early on hit it on the head IMO. It is the fact that those phones are limited that makes the market price so high after they are sold out. It would have been better if they gave the early buyers the special price of $200", then sell others as SR-225i for $250. If they had to make it limited, then make it so that they only manufacture, say, 50 a year. If people who missed the boat have the choice to pay $250 now for one, I am sure they would, as opposed to buying an overpriced one.

Please note that I already have my HF-1, so I am not complaining per se. But I do think it would be better for everyone to do things this way.

Apr 14, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #90 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot
I thought this was supposed to be a tight nit community where helping each other and passing along the experience was highly regarded? i guess if money is in the way then all bets are off and its market value eh? I've met some head-fiers in RL and they are fine ppl. I bet these people would never sell me something they got for 200 for 350. Hell even some small dyi builders hooking me up with free/discounted accessories just for taking the time to give them a try. Where are these ppl when we are talking about HF-1s.hell todd/grado are fine examples, why not follow in their lead in giving back to community.

So what you're saying is when the time comes to sell your a900ltd's you'll sell them for 300$? You're saying that if you had a pair of hp-1000's you'd sell them for 600$?

Talk is cheap. The only people who really have the right to complain are spaceconvoy, the person who sold grawk his hf-1's for 215$ that I missed by 1 minute, jahn(i think), and the few others who sold their hf-1's at cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back