Hey Big Shot!
Apr 24, 2008 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

tfarney

1000+ Head-Fier
Just wanted to let you know that I tried your "de-masking' eq setting. I cut a couple of db at 500 and 1000k, then boosted the preamp volume just a gnat's ass to equalize the volume. Veil lifted.

Tim

Apr 25, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 25
Thanks for letting us know. Enjoy!

Apr 25, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 25
That's an amazing magic trick, isn't it?

See ya
Steve

Apr 26, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's an amazing magic trick, isn't it?

See ya
Steve

It's like magic, because it is so unexpected. Did you say that the frequencies just below the vocal range mask the critical frequencies and that's why this cut seems to actually clarify?

Is there a book full of eq tricks somewhere? And could we send a copy to whoever mastered The Ultimate Who boxed set?
smily_headphones1.gif

Tim

Apr 26, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 25
The way the masking effect works is a very slight boost in frequencies in one octave can mask the frequency in the octave above. This is usually a big issue when you start to get close to a balanced frequency response, because very small adjustments can make a big difference. It's counter intuitive, but it works.

A friend of mine who is a sound mixer demonstrated it for me on a system with perfectly flat response. He dialed up a midrange pot by just a small amount, and suddenly the crispness of the upper mids disappeared. It sounded muffled.

Equalization can make the biggest improvement in any system. I'm always amazed that people trade away huge improvements in frequency response for insignificant (and most likely purely theoretical) improvements from not having an EQ pot inline.

The best way to learn EQ tricks is to EQ!

See ya
Steve

Apr 26, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #8 of 25
Nice.

It's always seemed to me that a lot of people here are trying to EQ their systems with amps and, lord help us, cables, rather than just using an EQ.

Apr 26, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread's making me think about buying an EQ. Where does the EQ go in a setup?

Here in the computer-as-source forum, it goes in your software.

Tim

Apr 26, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Veil lifted.

Now I want my HD580 back!

Apr 26, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would be a good standalone EQ for those of us not running off a computer?

I use Behringer DEQ2496 for that purpose.

Apr 26, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #13 of 25
Does the Behringer do the EQ in the digital domain? i.e. it receives digital input, does the EQ in the digital domain. Is this how it works?

Then how does the Behringer unit output its signal? In digital form or in analog form?

Apr 26, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #15 of 25
hey, a couple of questions. i did this mod on media monkey, with a pair of mdr-xd200s and it really did have a lot of effect. the sound became more "fun" so to say. however, i am now noticing some harshness (ie bad sound quality). i am not actually using an amp, but the effect is still there. anyway of reducing the harshness?

edit: jus thought of a better way to describe the harshness, its like static, the but in high i think (guitar riffs, whatever region they may be defined as)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back