Hey Big Shot!
Apr 26, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I want my HD580 back!

Yes, you do. The change is subtle, but it is really nice. The upper mids just open up a bit, and because it's actually a subtle cut, not a boost, it doesn't seem to booger with anything else. I don't use it on everything. Recordings that have a lot of clarity have no "veil" in the 580s, to my ear. A really good example of that would be Van Morrison's live "It's Too Late To Stop Now." Recordings that are warm and dark just combine with the Senns natural wamth and get kind of over-cooked. Right now I'm listening to SRV's "Riviera Paradise" with the "de-veil" eq setting on. Very nice. Next up, I'm going to mess with cutting upper mids and highs until the horribly treble-juiced "Magic," by Springsteen, is listenable on headphones. I know there's nothing I can do about the digital compression, but I've got 10 bands and I'm going after the glare!

Tim

Apr 26, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey, a couple of questions. i did this mod on media monkey, with a pair of mdr-xd200s and it really did have a lot of effect. the sound became more "fun" so to say. however, i am now noticing some harshness (ie bad sound quality). i am not actually using an amp, but the effect is still there. anyway of reducing the harshness?

edit: jus thought of a better way to describe the harshness, its like static, the but in high i think (guitar riffs, whatever region they may be defined as)

That sounds like you are overdriving your track. Try normalizing the overall volume back to 85% and then apply the equalization.

The precise spot for the masking effect isn't going to be the same in every system. You need to identify what frequency sounds weak, then divide it by two and reduce a couple of dB at that spot.

See ya
Steve

See ya
Steve

Apr 26, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by furball /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Big shot, which EQ do you use?

I use a Rane dual 31 band graphic equalizer. It's super clean and has very little spill between bands.

See ya
Steve

Apr 26, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sounds like you are overdriving your track. Try normalizing the overall volume back to 85% and then apply the equalization.

The precise spot for the masking effect isn't going to be the same in every system. You need to identify what frequency sounds weak, then divide it by two and reduce a couple of dB at that spot.

See ya
Steve

See ya
Steve

by overdriving do you mean playing it too loud? my media player volume is half, and the windows volume is between 5-15%. so i do not think that i understand what overdriving is. a search generally says you are overdriving this/that but not what is actually means.

Edit: i forgot to ask how would you go about finding the weak spot, of the frequencies.

thanks
gautam

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you do.

Yes, yes, yes, I do! But I've decided to go the less economical route and EQ by purchasing another pair of new headphones. My trusty HD580, hopefully, is providing a lot of enjoyment for a fellow Head-Fier in Portugal. Lucky guy.

Quote:

Van Morrison's live "It's Too Late To Stop Now."

Hmm, has anyone ever told you that you look a bit like...
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, yes, yes, I do! But I've decided to go the less economical route and EQ by purchasing another pair of new headphones. My trusty HD580, hopefully, is providing a lot of enjoyment for a fellow Head-Fier in Portugal. Lucky guy.

Hmm, has anyone ever told you that you look a bit like...
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I get that all the time. I'm nearly as grumpy, too.

Tim

Apr 27, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
by overdriving do you mean playing it too loud?

No, it's not your amp that's the problem. If you apply post processing (eq, noise reduction, etc.) you need headroom built into the track to allow for changes. But with hot mastering, many CDs are normalized up to 100%, allowing no room at all. You need to lower the overall volume of the audio file itself, not the volume you play it at. This involves applying a gain reduction to the digital file itself.

Hope this helps
Steve

Apr 27, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinus1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where can i find this mythical de-masking setting? ^^

It's not a specific setting. It's a psycho acoustic principle that comes into play when your system nears a flat response and you are trying to correct that last little bit through equalization. You can find out more by doing a google search on "masking effect" and "psycho acoustic".

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back