Help with purchase needed (after Audio-Technica ATH-ES7)
May 21, 2011 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

OmegaSwitch

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am looking for a new set of headphones after my pair of Audio Technica ATH-ES7s broke last week. I'm looking for something similar- closed-ended, mid-range headphones that supply a fair balance of all frequency ranges-, but I would not like to spend more than $100. The ATH-ES7s were perfect because of the excellent sound quality- the lows, mids and highs were represented fully-, I could wear them for a few hours without them becoming uncomfortable, the input cord was only a few feet long and had the jack fitting for an iPod or my fiio e5 amp. I will use my next purchase for my work environment- I work in a library-, so I want to stray away from open-ended headphones, due to sound leakage- I was tempted to snag a pair of Grado SR80i, but they are open ended. Your help is greatly appreciated!

May 21, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 6
Why not get the ath-es7's again? They would be my first choice super aural under £200! Unless of course you just fancy a change.

EDIT: I originally mis-read the last sentence. I don't have too many suggestions that fit the bill under $100, but I'm sure some people on this board will.

May 21, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 6
I would, but I don't feel like spending $200 on another pair when I bought mine for $90 on sale, and I want to try something new. I'm seriously considering the SR80i, but I am afraid that there'd be too much sound leakage for the library environment. Anyone have thoughts on this?

May 23, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 6
You can upgrade to the M50 ($110 + shipping)  or try the CAL! ($60)

Some info I found while researching for ES7 alternatives. 

[size=medium] Quote:
Owning the ES7, M50, and Creative Aurvana Live (you all know it's practically a rebadged Denon D1001) at the same time, I can say this:

The ES7 sounds like the M50's little brother, with a slightly more aggressive high end and brighter signature, but not by much. The CAL/D1001 compares to the two but is warmer than both (but not overly warm, I'd say juuuust right), and sounds a bit more polite/relaxed than the AT's in the high end...

I'd say that if you love the ES7, the M50s will fulfill your needs, with more comfort, bigger sound, but without that ES7 portability and aesthetics...

If you want warmer, and more laid back, the CAL/D1001 will suit you fine.

All three deliver thumpy bass, but I'd say the ES7 is the 'fastest'. The treble is also the sharpest... but again, not by much compared to the M50, and the CAL/D1001's treble is crisp yet smooth.

[/size]

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/518451/hps-with-a-sig-similar-to-the-ath-es7#post_7003120

The CAL! are currently $59.99 on amazon. (Low stock)

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1306186599&sr=1-1

If you can't find anything you like, you can always buy the ES7 refurb like new for around $70.

If you don't mind me asking, how exactly did they break ? I'm looking for a pair of es7 to experiment with and I might want to buy them off you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back