Help with my IEM Choice Dilemma!
Aug 4, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #61 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I think he was addressing me...anyone have a headphone answer?

I've actually decided on the SE530s for now, reasons being cheaper, more attainable (I'll have to wait probably until the next UM3X owner decides to upgrade or something), and more forgiving on lesser quality tracks (my 256-320 kbps mp3 collection, since not everything can be found in FLAC or lossless format). Even though a few people say that they don't resolve instrumental timbre as well as UM3X, these are my first pair of high-end phones, and I can always try out different things.

And for the record, HD 650/K701 are very good phones, that are all-around good performers, not worth $50. I'd be happy if I could snag a pair for $150-200.

About Hd 650/ K701, as a fans of Sennheiser, I am just addressing the fact that some one favorite may be others poison, so you better go for the one you can afford for the time being, and after that you would get the answer what is marginal cost for you to upgrade, so that you would finally know spending 100 bucks extra worth or not.

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #62 of 81
Quote:

Then what phones aren't BA-based, besides IE8?

My sources will be a Samsung P3 dap or iPhone 3GS....amp is a Fiio E5. Will possibly be purchasing an iPod with LOD later on.

I've heard mixed results on EQing on the se530, although the Samsung P3 has a good EQ set built-in, and it's a fantastic sounding player..

I am currently listening to my 530's through my 2nd gen touch with the eq set to classical and find that this fills in the highs and lows quite nicely. I am not an ultra no eq purest as I want my music to be enjoyable to me and not trying to nit pick the song. Just my opinion as the no eq crowd might flame me now.

Aug 4, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #63 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by crewchief /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am currently listening to my 530's through my 2nd gen touch with the eq set to classical and find that this fills in the highs and lows quite nicely. I am not an ultra no eq purest as I want my music to be enjoyable to me and not trying to nit pick the song. Just my opinion as the no eq crowd might flame me now.

I know for one thing that the Samsung P3 EQ is much better than the one on the iPod Touch (sorry, no offense intended! I think the Touch is a brilliant piece of hardware, but lacks a good audio set, if I didn't have an iPhone, I'd get one just for the apps/games/wifi)

So I guess the SE530 can be EQed to fill out the highs (and lows??)...sounds good to me, then.

Also, gameboy, just wondering, what made you stick with the SE530s then?
(it's first in your sig)

Aug 4, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #64 of 81
Well, as far as I know, you can't really get both incredibly realistic and fun and engaging in the same package, at least not with universal IEM's. Sure, there are degrees, such as with the W3, which isn't too analytical, and still has that mid-bass hump and energy that makes the music exciting. Then on the two ends of the spectrum theres the UM3X, which is balanced, flat, and realistic, and the IE8, which is more fun sounding. I'm not an expert and I'm not really sure where the SE530 fits in, but from what I've read and from my experience, you just have to decide what flavour you want.

I think that for anyone who has a picky ear, the roll-off on the SE530's could pose quite a problem with classical. I have never been a fan of EQ either - it seems to me that you are defeating the purpose of buying good headphones if you are going to distort the music with an EQ. On the other hand, I have never actually heard the SE530's, so these are just assumptions based on other people's experience.

If it were my decision, I would take the IE8. You said you want to enjoy the music, not critique it. Well, these are the headphones for enjoying it, getting excited, and being involved in the music.

Aug 4, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #65 of 81
My thoughts on the Denon C710, which I picked up less than a month ago: I would say it may be the anti-UM3X due to the U shaped frequency response (exaggerated bass and treble)! It has fantastic bass depth and impact, and even though the bass impact is high, it is very controlled, quick, and precise. Detail is up there with the best (possibly the best I have heard), with the best clarity making the detail easier for me to hear even during casual listening. The treble is bright, but still sounds fairly smooth compared to many other IEMs I have heard. Soundstage is wide for an IEM.

Listening to Beethoven, something just doesn't sound right to me with the C710, and my IE8 sounds better IMO. The Denon is awesome for pop, rock, and electronic, but classical, not my personal preference. However, you may prefer that type of sound!

Some difference between the W3 and IE8 in my listening is the W3 has more forward, clearer mids and possibly deeper bass. But the IE8 has smoother, more extended treble and about the same detail, but the detail isn't as up front, therefore may seem less detailed. Also, the stage is a good deal wider with the IE8.

And agreeing with aj_brown_99 (realistic and fun are two different things), the UM3X sounded kinda bland compared to those two warm IEMs to me (but that is accuracy for ya!), and I didn't give it much ear time.

And I just got the Mingo WM2 today, and it actually sounds very good with the Beethoven I have on right now. Almost the same clarity as the Denon in the mids, but with a bassy sound sig vs. U shaped.

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #66 of 81
Actually, found out that I could pick up some UE Triple.fi Pro 10 for more-or-less the price of SE530s (maybe a bit more), so how would those 2 compare for me? This is a practical comparison (as I know that they're within my current budget, unlike Westone offerings)

Aug 5, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #67 of 81
Quote:

Actually, found out that I could pick up some UE Triple.fi Pro 10 for more-or-less the price of SE530s (maybe a bit more), so how would those 2 compare for me? This is a practical comparison (as I know that they're within my current budget, unlike Westone offerings)

530 is all about the mids with great bass too

triple is all about the treble with punchy bass

Aug 5, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #68 of 81
Also, what exactly does iPhone-compatible on the SE530 mean? I know the new versions are compatible, but that's all...

So the TF10 doesn't have a "magical" midrange, but a more extended treble? Does it do orchestral/acoustic better? Does it immerse you in the music? (Not looking for analytical, flat-sounding phones, since I'd get that with JH later on)

Aug 5, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #69 of 81
Quote:

Also, what exactly does iPhone-compatible on the SE530 mean? I know the new versions are compatible, but that's all...

On the old iPhone there was a smaller Jack so buying SE530's to use with an iPhone was useless. Now they are advertising it as compatible because the new iPhones have 3.5 mm jacks just like SE530's.

Aug 5, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #70 of 81
Quote:

I believe it's saying that it'll fit those recessed jacks in the older iPhone 2G models. You won't have to worry about it as long as it's one of the newer ones as any headphone/IEM will be compatible with it (since the jack sits flush).

It's either that or its supposed to promote its Shure MPA (Music Phone Adaptor) compatibility, which does work well with the iPhone (but sold separately).

Aug 5, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #71 of 81
How about some mic adapter thingy I've heard? Have the 3GS.

Also, does the SE530 sound good with upbeat pop music? (mainly when I'm in the gym or feel like I want to be mainstream for a bit) Music like Natasha Bedingfield, Rihanna, Ashley Tisdale, Hilary Duff (don't laugh, her light pop style isn't too bad), Avril Lavigne (I guess pop-rock) (Japanese and Korean Pop...Hyori Lee, Chae Yeon, etc...these are probably not as prevalent here)...mostly female vocals produced along with background mixing, not live acoustic.

Definitely NO Rap/Hip-Hop though!

Aug 5, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #72 of 81
Quote:

How about some mic adapter thingy? Have the 3GS.

Also, does the SE530 sound good with upbeat pop music? (mainly when I'm in the gym or feel like I want to be mainstream for a bit) Music like Natasha Bedingfield, Rihanna, Ashley Tisdale, Hilary Duff (don't laugh, her light pop style isn't too bad), Avril Lavigne (I guess pop-rock) (Japanese and Korean Pop...Hyori Lee, Chae Yeon, etc...these are probably not as prevalent here)...mostly female vocals produced along with background mixing, not live acoustic. Definitely NO Rap/Hip-Hop though!

yes

but then so do the triples, unamped though the 530 is just better i never found my ipod hp out sufficient to drive the triples properly

Aug 5, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #73 of 81
Quote:

How about some mic adapter thingy I've heard? Have the 3GS.

Also, does the SE530 sound good with upbeat pop music? (mainly when I'm in the gym or feel like I want to be mainstream for a bit) Music like Natasha Bedingfield, Rihanna, Ashley Tisdale, Hilary Duff (don't laugh, her light pop style isn't too bad), Avril Lavigne (I guess pop-rock) (Japanese and Korean Pop...Hyori Lee, Chae Yeon, etc...these are probably not as prevalent here)...mostly female vocals produced along with background mixing, not live acoustic.

Definitely NO Rap/Hip-Hop though!

The mic adaptor, or the MPA unit I've mentioned above, work well with my iPhone 3G and SE530. You'll hear the voices loud and clear through it and I've never heard any complaints from the person on the other end of the line. You can use the button on it to pause, skip forwards and backwards (click once/twice/three times respectively) which is obviously very useful with the iPhone as it doesn't have any physical buttons for those functions.

I listen to a lot of J and K-Pop with SE530s and female voices are wonderful with it. Vocals is SE530 biggest forte so you have nothing to worry about there.

Aug 5, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #74 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mic adaptor, or the MPA unit I've mentioned above, work well with my iPhone 3G and SE530. You'll hear the voices loud and clear through it and I've never heard any complaints from the person on the other end of the line. You can use the button on it to pause, skip forwards and backwards (click once/twice/three times respectively) which is obviously very useful with the iPhone as it doesn't have any physical buttons for those functions.

I listen to a lot of J and K-Pop with SE530s and female voices are wonderful with it. Vocals is SE530 biggest forte so you have nothing to worry about there.

Actually, I meant what was the mic adapter thing, as I know the older versions don't have it? Is it built-in? Or is it a separate item that can be bought additionally.. (And I'm getting a used pair, so they might not have it?? What else might not the old version have?)

Sounds good on the vocals. How about all that background "electronic" mixing on the pop tracks? Do the Shures perform well with that? (It's not as hard-core as techno, but still more or less electronic, not acoustic, and has a trance-like beat to it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back