Help with my IEM Choice Dilemma!
Aug 3, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #46 of 81
I've had all of these:

Shure SE530
Phonak Audeo PFE
Westone UM3X
UE Triple Fi 10 Pro

as well as the Westone 3 and the ER4P.

The 530s have the most pronounced mids. The PFE is a single-driver design with an output - like the ER4P's - several dB below the others, but it's very balanced. It comes with two filters, one for more HF extension and one for better bass. I found it amazingly effective for the price. The Triple Fi 10 isn't an easy phone to keep in your ears, but I liked it very much because it provided great bass and great treble. My favorite was the UM3X, which has that Westone bass but more controlled and more balanced. I found its presentation the most natural.

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #48 of 81
Hey Bill!

How's the DIY IEM doing?

I think I'm either going SE530 or Phonak PFE for now, and kind of favoring the SE530 (heard it was too analytical) - it was you who actually persuaded me that the SE530 treble roll-off wasn't abnormal (all IEMs have it to some degree?)

Seems like the UM3X is out of question for now (like I've said, cheapest I've found is $300......my current budget being ~<$200...and UM3X don't pop up frequently on the FS forum here)..,although my next step will hopefully be JH-13...not any time soon though ($1300 + audiologist fee is not a trifling amount, although if I sell off half my custom gaming computer...nahh, at least not for now)

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #49 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Bill!

How's the DIY IEM doing?

I think I'm either going SE530 or Phonak PFE for now, and kind of favoring the SE530 (heard it was too analytical) - it was you who actually persuaded me that the SE530 treble roll-off wasn't abnormal (all IEMs have it to some degree?)

Seems like the UM3X is out of question for now (like I've said, cheapest I've found is $300......my current budget being ~<$200...and UM3X don't pop up frequently on the FS forum here)..,although my next step will hopefully be JH-13...not any time soon though ($1300 + audiologist fee is not a trifling amount, although if I sell off half my custom gaming computer...nahh, at least not for now)

I built a pair of triples but the market is so crowded, I'm going to concentrate on quads, quints and sextets. My current bottleneck is in the shells. I'm trying to come up with the best process to make high-quality shells that can fit up to seven drivers.

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #50 of 81
If you decide to get second-hand SE530's --as it seems you will-- please bear in mind the following:

Lots of older SE530 sets have had cable issues (cracking), then Shure apparently made some changes to the cable materials and fewer cable issues have been reported since last year, but there have still been cases of cable issues/ failure. The cheaper you pay for them, the higher the chances you may end up with an older pair, but even if it's one of the newer sets the Shure warranty will not be valid.

As for customs, you are still quite young and your ears will probably still change shape, meaning you may need re-shelling in a few years' time. Also, you need to pay extra for ear impressions, extra shipping and may be faced with the possibility of needing a re-fit (or more) which will will translate as extra shipping charges and perhaps extra for new ear impressions. Also remember, customs have no resale value unlike a good set of high-end universal IEM's.

There's no reason why an expensive set of universal IEM's should not last you more than 2 years. They could last you much longer than that. The more time you spend on head-fi, chances are you'll have the urge to upgrade in less than a year (it can be like an addiction - seriously!). The higher up you go in SQ the differences become smaller and smaller but the prices --for instance for high-end customs-- are ridiculously high for the average hi-fi enthusiast and for the amount of improvement. Even my beloved UM3X ($350) are not 3.5 times better sounding than my Sony MDR-EX90 (now down to $60 from $100 brand new and legit Amazon.com: Sony MDR-EX90LP Stereo Earphones: Electronics), not even double or 75% better. Quite often many reviews and comments you'll read will make you think that you are missing out quite a lot if you don't get this or that IEM or portable amp. In my experience far too many times these descriptions are very deceptive.

And lastly I'm sure you won't pay much attention to the following, but the Sony mrd-ex90 is fantastic - great sound and build quality at a great price (I've had mine for 3 years now and still going strong0. When I bought my SE530's, to these ears, they only sounded marginally better than the Sony's and the latter were much much cheaper and better built and, to me, even nicer looking - that's why I felt seriously ripped off when I got the SE530's. If by any chance you do decide to get them at some point, make sure you get them from an authorised dealer as there are tons of fakes being sold quite cheaply ($15 or less and sound terrible). So I'd advise against getting them from eBay or Amazon marketplace sellers - From Amazon itself you're 100% safe but NOT from Amazon marketplace.

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #51 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you decide to get second-hand SE530's --as it seems you will-- please bear in mind the following:

Lots of older SE530 sets have had cable issues (cracking), then Shure apparently made some changes to the cable materials and fewer cable issues have been reported since last year, but there have still been cases of cable issues/ failure. The cheaper you pay for them, the higher the chances you may end up with an older pair, but even if it's one of the newer sets the Shure warranty will not be valid.

As for customs, you are still quite young and your ears will probably still change shape, meaning you may need re-shelling in a few years' time. Also, you need to pay extra for ear impressions, extra shipping and may be faced with the possibility of needing a re-fit (or more) which will will translate as extra shipping charges and perhaps extra for new ear impressions. Also remember, customs have no resale value unlike a good set of high-end universal IEM's.

Thanks for the advice - I've been asking about cable problems every time I get an offer. Why won't the Shure warranty be valid even for new pair?

Exactly my point about the customs. That's why, I think I'll do one pair of high-end universals, and then upgrade to customs (JH-13s?) in a year or so, so I don't have to keep on wondering later on what the best sounds like. Diminishing returns is something I will always keep in mind (but my wallet says no
eek.gif
)

Also, for those of you with dual interests in both headphones and IEMs, what full-headphones do the SE530s sound most like (in terms of sound signature, obviously not soundstage or imaging)? (I'm more experienced with headphones then IEMs as you can probably see) I've owned AD700 (just sold), AKG K701, Beyer DT770, and Ultrasone HFI-780. My next purchase will probably be a Denon D2000.

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #52 of 81
Quote:

There's no reason why an expensive set of universal IEM's should not last you more than 2 years. They could last you much longer than that. The more time you spend on head-fi, chances are you'll have the urge to upgrade in less than a year (it can be like an addiction - seriously!). The higher up you go in SQ the differences become smaller and smaller but the prices --for instance for high-end customs-- are ridiculously high for the average hi-fi enthusiast and for the amount of improvement. Even my beloved UM3X ($350) are not 3.5 times better sounding than my Sony MDR-EX90 (now down to $60 from $100 brand new and legit Amazon.com: Sony MDR-EX90LP Stereo Earphones: Electronics), not even double or 75% better. Quite often many reviews and comments you'll read will make you think that you are missing out quite a lot if you don't get this or that IEM or portable amp. In my experience far too many times these descriptions are very deceptive.

And lastly I'm sure you won't pay much attention to the following, but the Sony mrd-ex90 is fantastic - great sound and build quality at a great price (I've had mine for 3 years now and still going strong0. When I bought my SE530's, to these ears, they only sounded marginally better than the Sony's and the latter were much much cheaper and better built and, to me, even nicer looking - that's why I felt seriously ripped off when I got the SE530's. If by any chance you do decide to get them at some point, make sure you get them from an authorised dealer as there are tons of fakes being sold quite cheaply ($15 or less and sound terrible). So I'd advise against getting them from eBay or Amazon marketplace sellers - From Amazon itself you're 100% safe but NOT from Amazon marketplace.

Op has made up his mind a long ago. I am pretty sure he would not consider Sony MDR-EX90 not matter how it bang for buck. His plan is obviouly going for one of top tier IEM, and focusing mainly on cheapest set on FS forum. That is why it is doomed he will choose SE 530 at last. It was the fact since a few days ago, even he kept asking he should go for others instead of SE 530, due of lack of choice , power of brand name and promising review he read, he swirl around SE 530 all along. It is clear to me It does not make any difference from any further input

Actually,he need nothing but only enough people reassure him SE 530 is not wrong choice for him

So I am going to tell, just go for SE 530, It would let you down
beerchug.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #53 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Op has made up his mind a long ago. I am pretty sure he would not consider Sony MDR-EX90 not matter how it bang for buck. His plan is obviouly going for one of top tier IEM, and focusing mainly on cheapest set on FS forum. That is why it is doomed he will choose SE 530 at last. It was the fact since a few ago, even he kept asking he should go for others instead of SE 530, due of lack of choice , power of brand name and promising review he read, he swirl around SE 530 all along.

Actually,he need nothing but only enough people reassure him SE 530 is not wrong choice for him

So I am going to tell, just go for SE 530, It would let you down
beerchug.gif

Actually, he was just setting an example on the theory of Diminishing Returns...
I think even if I do want UM3X, they are going to be much harder to obtain - as I found out after I started the thread, as the last sale made was 2-3 weeks ago in FS (at $300), and SE530 pops up every couple days or so. And I actually think Westone is a higher-end brand then Shure (with their customs going close to a grand...). What promising review are you talking about? Note how I ordered the IEMs in preference in my first post, and the SE530 were initially on top..so you are stating the obvious, right? I did consider the Triple-Fi and the Phonak, but found out that the UE had bad ergonomics (I have sensitive ears), and the Phonak was somewhat analytical sounding, and that was confirmed in several other threads as well.

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #54 of 81
Quote:

Why won't the Shure warranty be valid even for new pair?

The warranty is ONLY valid if you buy the set yourself, NOT if you buy it from somebody else, ie second-hand.

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #55 of 81
Quote:

Actually, he was just setting an example on the theory of Diminishing Returns...
I think even if I do want UM3X, they are going to be much harder to obtain - as I found out after I started the thread, as the last sale made was 2-3 weeks ago in FS (at $300), and SE530 pops up every couple days or so. And I actually think Westone is a higher-end brand then Shure (with their customs going close to a grand...). What promising review are you talking about? Note how I ordered the IEMs in preference in my first post, and the SE530 were initially on top..so you are stating the obvious, right?

ok, Let me make myself clear

If you don't even consider any one of other IEM recommended by any members ever, I am gonna ask again why bother asking? All you keep this thread afloat is getting as much as shure supporters to appraise how good it is, and by time you get enough placebo, you are finally heading to same way you have chosen a long time ago. It is clear to me It does not make any difference for any further input from members

If you need placebo, I would recommend you use search button, search SE 530 appreciation thread, as I recalled, it won't take you long time to read, it is less than 50 page

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #56 of 81
Quote:

ok, Let me make myself clear

If you don't even consider any one of other IEM recommended by any members ever, I am gonna ask again why bother asking? All you keep this thread afloat is getting as much as shure supporters to appraise how good it is, and by time you get enough placebo, you are finally heading to same way you have chosen a long time ago. It is clear to me It does not make any difference for any further input from members

I've been pretty neutral about everything in terms of welcoming advice (except for the budget part, and that's not something I can technically change on a whim), I've been asking if the UM3X was worth ~$100 more than the SE530, and I guess when you hit high-end universals, everything becomes more subjective, and it depends on your personal taste. That's why i can see why you recommended the UM3X, but I was asking if it was worth $100 more, and I guess even that because subjective...

I initially put the SE530s in first, but was genuinely looking for feedback. But since only I can actually tell if I like which one, I'll go get the SE530s first (since they're much more cheaper/accessible), and go on from there. If they don't sound as good (ex. I find that the highs can't be EQed out to my ears), then I'll trade for a pair of something else, perhaps UM3X. Note that these are my first high-end IEM purchase, so I have a lot to learn.

Also, for those of you with dual interests in both headphones and IEMs, what full-headphones do the SE530s sound most like (in terms of sound signature, obviously not soundstage or imaging)? (I'm more experienced with headphones then IEMs as you can probably see) I've owned AD700 (just sold), AKG K701, Beyer DT770, and Ultrasone HFI-780. My next purchase will probably be a Denon D2000.

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #58 of 81
Quote:

I've been pretty neutral about everything in terms of welcoming advice (except for the budget part, and that's not something I can technically change on a whim), I've been asking if the UM3X was worth ~$100 more than the SE530, and I guess when you hit high-end universals, everything becomes more subjective, and it depends on your personal taste. That's why i can see why you recommended the UM3X, but I was asking if it was worth $100 more, and I guess even that because subjective...

I initially put the SE530s in first, but was genuinely looking for feedback. But since only I can actually tell if I like which one, I'll go get the SE530s first (since they're much more cheaper/accessible), and go on from there. If they don't sound as good (ex. I find that the highs can't be EQed out to my ears), then I'll trade for a pair of something else, perhaps UM3X. Note that these are my first high-end IEM purchase, so I have a lot to learn.

It does not matter you have not considered my advice. I had this feeling long ago, you would not listen to me

For it worth $100 more, It does come to personal preference. This is question you never find answer. There was a thread which let people vent for most overvalued IEM, I am pretty sure SE 530 was mentioned very frequently, so did other popular full head phone like HD 650/ K701, those are very colored earphone which need some one really into its soundsignature to love them. For the record, the people thought those does not worth even 50 bucks, but those headphone manage to still survive

May be you are lucky one to like SE 530.

I bet after you are striving to keep this thread alive 10 days more, your choice would still be SE 530, even some headfiers would tell you XX Xsound best.....

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #59 of 81
Quote:

^^ You copied & pasted the same last paragraph from one of your posts above (#51)

Yea, I fixed this. Thanks

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #60 of 81
Quote:

Yea, I fixed this. Thanks

Actually, I think he was addressing me...anyone have a headphone answer?

I've actually decided on the SE530s for now, reasons being cheaper, more attainable (I'll have to wait probably until the next UM3X owner decides to upgrade or something), and more forgiving on lesser quality tracks (my 256-320 kbps mp3 collection, since not everything can be found in FLAC or lossless format). Even though a few people say that they don't resolve instrumental timbre as well as UM3X, these are my first pair of high-end phones, and I can always try out different things.

And for the record, HD 650/K701 are very good phones, that are all-around good performers, not worth $50. I'd be happy if I could snag a pair for $150-200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back