Help with my IEM Choice Dilemma!
Aug 1, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #32 of 81
Agree, your choices will be limited only by your budget and it's a decent one, too. Getting you hands on an SE530 should be good. I think you'll enjoy the experience of the higher end phones.. including the experiments with all of the tip/fits etc. I have the CX400 but I found the SE420 fit (with the black foam) really good. If you have an EQ, there's even more variables to play around with. I currently use the SE420 on the Sansa Clip with the EQ in a U-shape - but even in normal mode, I can listen to them for hours and hours. Is 'moist' a sound descriptor? Gosh, some tunes, like Nik Bartzche makes me salivate because it's so rythmic and juicy. seriously - as in pools of drool build up.. lol.

I ran into an unfortunate cable issue with the W3s so I should be getting them back shortly - but in the meantime, the Shures have treated me well. I just think they set their prices way to high to begin with... and I can live with the modular cord, but I much prefer a light, 1 piece cable.

Anyway, you're gonna love the way they hug your ears and block out the noise. The CX series don't do anything like this.

Aug 1, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #33 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol - got it, I need to upgrade my custom computer build too!

So, for ~$200, the SE530 is probably a better deal than UM3X (cheapest is $300), right?
Just want to make sure they (the se530s) won't sound horrible with instrumental/orchestral music....the um3x might sound better, but the Shures are decent enough, right?

you do realise that when your talking about top end stuff everything will sound wonderfull on all of them, its like trying to pick between a maybach and a bently and trying to decide which one has more comfortable seats.

both are going to be so far out in front of normal things the saying the x doesnt do y as good as z is really splitting hairs

Aug 1, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #34 of 81
This thread follows the same pattern as so many others in the last few months:

Someone (OP) asks to recommend a high-end IEM that has great bass, mids & treble, soundstage, and so on. More people advise OP to get the UM3X, usually followed by IE8 or W3, then someone comes along and mentions the SE530. Then someone comes along and says all top-tier IEM's are pretty good and it simply all depends on people's preferences. I totally disagree with that statement, but it's the same pattern.

Then original poster realises the SE530 is the cheapest of the lot and usually decides to get it.

So, I think from now on I'll either just not bother posting anything (as I have done already a few times) or simply say I think the best IEM (from the ones I've owned) is clearly the UM3X, but once you find out how 'cheap' the SE530 is compared to other high-end IEM's you'll be buying it no matter what people say is wrong with it.

Not that I think everyone must get the UM3X, but when people say 'They're all pretty much the same' then obviously OP will go for the cheaper option. That's why I didn't go into details as to why I much prefer the UM3X over the SE530 but advised OP to check the UM3X thread.

Aug 1, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #35 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then someone comes along and says all top-tier IEM's are pretty good and it simply all depends on people's preferences. I totally disagree with that statement, but it's the same pattern.

From the variety of threads here (including the UM3X thread) one might certainly get the impression that pretty much every one of the top tier IEMs has its followers. What's so wrong about that?

Aug 1, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #36 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread follows the same pattern as so many others in the last few months:

Someone (OP) asks to recommend a high-end IEM that has great bass, mids & treble, soundstage, and so on. More people advise OP to get the UM3X, usually followed by IE8 or W3, then someone comes along and mentions the SE530. Then someone comes along and says all top-tier IEM's are pretty good and it simply all depends on people's preferences. I totally disagree with that statement, but it's the same pattern.

Then original poster realises the SE530 is the cheapest of the lot and usually decides to get it.

So, I think from now on I'll either just not bother posting anything (as I have done already a few times) or simply say I think the best IEM (from the ones I've owned) is clearly the UM3X, but once you find out how 'cheap' the SE530 is compared to other high-end IEM's you'll be buying it no matter what people say is wrong with it.

Not that I think everyone must get the UM3X, but when people say 'They're all pretty much the same' then obviously OP will go for the cheaper option. That's why I didn't go into details as to why I much prefer the UM3X over the SE530 but advised OP to check the UM3X thread.

well i disagree, the um3x are nothing more than the newest and shininess of the top tier. its good but i cannot in anyway say it is better than the IE8, triple.fi 10 or the se530. they are each different but none of them are really better than the others. each have strengths and weaknesses and in no way shape or form significantly "better" than the others its just different

Aug 1, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #37 of 81
Music 4321 I think these threads are always gonna pop up. I think am gonna go in favor of those who think all top tier IEMs are pretty good and that's it's a matter of preference. Though I still think that the differences between IEMs are heavily exaggerated around these circles. Different IEMs possess and or lack different qualities which are going to appeal to or repel others. For instance, I prefer the IE8 to all the other top ranking IEMs because it's not overly analytical and just lets me focus on the music instead of the details that make up the music. There might be folks who wants their details to me more striking.Hence, Simply because I think the IE8 are the best, doesn't necessarily mean that's it's going to be the best for someone else.

Aug 1, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #38 of 81
Even though I really like my UM3X, i wouldn't recommend it to everyone, simply because I think there are certain areas which UM3X falls short of. The other top-end universals all have their strengths and i'm positively sure that its not possible to make absolute statements ranking one over the other.

For the specific case of SE530 against UM3X, it might be true that SE530 lags by quite a bit, but to discount/dismiss the importance of personal preference and lean towards absolute SQ is questionable. While sound signatures and perception of SQ is subjective preference, affordable pricing, on the other hand is an objective preference. He may be happier off with the sub-par Shures, because he got to do something else with the spare $100. When hint comes to push comes to shove, the TS is more likely to make a decision he might regret.

Music4321 you seems like an nice, objective guy for most parts but i think too much anti-voltag3 crusade thing is skewing your opinion towards Shure products. That being said, please do continue posting because opinions are always welcome and important, without which this forum would cease to exist. Apathy is the last thing we want eh?

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #39 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even though I really like my UM3X, i wouldn't recommend it to everyone, simply because I think there are certain areas which UM3X falls short of. The other top-end universals all have their strengths and i'm positively sure that its not possible to make absolute statements ranking one over the other.

For the specific case of SE530 against UM3X, it might be true that SE530 lags by quite a bit, but to discount/dismiss the importance of personal preference and lean towards absolute SQ is questionable. While sound signatures and perception of SQ is subjective preference, affordable pricing, on the other hand is an objective preference. He may be happier off with the sub-par Shures, because he got to do something else with the spare $100. When hint comes to push comes to shove, the TS is more likely to make a decision he might regret.

Music4321 you seems like an nice, objective guy for most parts but i think too much anti-voltag3 crusade thing is skewing your opinion towards Shure products. That being said, please do continue posting because opinions are always welcome and important, without which this forum would cease to exist. Apathy is the last thing we want eh?

Agree. That is why it is best thing OP just goes for SE 530 for now.

I still believe the difference between top tier IEM is pretty obvious, especially depending on preference. Like some one love bass will lean towards IE8 inevitably, and find other IEM losing by a very good margin.

Music431, keep it up, I appreciate your contribution to this forum, it is no need to get frustrated. I also respect decision made by OP, it just sounds to me, further recommendation is not going to change designated choice for OP.

Aug 1, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #40 of 81
Hey Guys,

I guess I didn't make it clear that my budget was ~$200, (less the better!) but the thing was, I also didn't know how cheap used UM3X could go for, but after doing some extensive searching, it did seem like it was not likely for me to get a hold of a $200 UM3X (that's a challenge there!).
I guess I was slightly biased toward the SE530 in the first place, seeing I could get it for cheaper, but I didn't want cash to play a HUGE role in deciding, since if the UM3X really did sound better in objective terms, then I guess I would be willing to pony up $100, but if it didn't exactly sound much better, or was more or less a subjective comparison, then....

So, in short, I've compiled a list of more-or-less objective comparisons of both phones. Do I have the right idea?

The UM3X is overall, more neutral, has better clarity, and has better acoustic/instrumental portrayal then the SE530 - also extended highs, but recessed mids.

The SE530 is slightly warmer (but not too colored, right?), has rolled off highs/prominent and "lush" mids, giving a better vocal performance, but not as well an instrumental/acoustic performance. How is detail/sonic performance here then? People do say that these EQ well, so the rolled-off highs can be corrected?

Also, what I want to know is that if you listen to a same track with both phones, will you lose considerable detail/clarity on the SE530? Like, are they nearly on par with the UM3X?

As noted above, I will be using these with an iPhone 3GS and a Samsung P3 player (which I noticed does not get much attention here, but it's a very good sounding player, and has extensive EQ customization; 7-band EQ, DNSe 3.0-Samsung's proprietary audio engine, audio upscaler stuff, soundstage, etc..) The most amplification for now is probably a Fiio E5, and I might not even use it (for portability issues)

Thanks for biding time everyone. This is my first major IEM purchase, and I'm 16, so this isn't exactly a small obligation....and I'm looking to keep these for 2-3 years until ponying up major cash for customs.

P.S. How about UE Triple-Fi 10? Does that compare to SE530?
If somehow a $200-250 UM3X doesn't pop up in the next couple of days or so, then my decision has been made.

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #41 of 81
Not to open another can of worms, but I just saw that JH Audio had a $399 custom IEM (JH5 Pro), and I didn't know customs from JH could be so cheap (they're the ultimate IEM company it seems)....

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #42 of 81
Quote:

Hey Guys,

I guess I didn't make it clear that my budget was ~$200, (less the better!) but the thing was, I also didn't know how cheap used UM3X could go for, but after doing some extensive searching, it did seem like it was not likely for me to get a hold of a $200 UM3X (that's a challenge there!).
I guess I was slightly biased toward the SE530 in the first place, seeing I could get it for cheaper, but I didn't want cash to play a HUGE role in deciding, since if the UM3X really did sound better in objective terms, then I guess I would be willing to pony up $100, but if it didn't exactly sound much better, or was more or less a subjective comparison, then....

So, in short, I've compiled a list of more-or-less objective comparisons of both phones. Do I have the right idea?

The UM3X is overall, more neutral, has better clarity, and has better acoustic/instrumental portrayal then the SE530 - also extended highs, but recessed mids.

The SE530 is slightly warmer (but not too colored, right?), has rolled off highs/prominent and "lush" mids, giving a better vocal performance, but not as well an instrumental/acoustic performance. How is detail/sonic performance here then? People do say that these EQ well, so the rolled-off highs can be corrected?

Also, what I want to know is that if you listen to a same track with both phones, will you lose considerable detail/clarity on the SE530? Like, are they nearly on par with the UM3X?

As noted above, I will be using these with an iPhone 3GS and a Samsung P3 player (which I noticed does not get much attention here, but it's a very good sounding player, and has extensive EQ customization; 7-band EQ, DNSe 3.0-Samsung's proprietary audio engine, audio upscaler stuff, soundstage, etc..) The most amplification for now is probably a Fiio E5, and I might not even use it (for portability issues)

Thanks for biding time everyone. This is my first major IEM purchase, and I'm 16, so this isn't exactly a small obligation....and I'm looking to keep these for 2-3 years until ponying up major cash for customs.

P.S. How about UE Triple-Fi 10? Does that compare to SE530?
If somehow a $200-250 UM3X doesn't pop up in the next couple of days or so, then my decision has been made.

really the um3x in my opinion isnt in any way better that the other top ends ie the se530, IE8 Triple.fi 10 its all about how you want them to sound. for treble the IE8 and triples are best, for mids the 530 easily wins and for lows the IE8 and 530 are better.

um3x excels in nothing but isnt really lacking in any area like the 530 does in the highs and the triples and 8's lack in the mids and have fit / size issues or the 8 and its lacking isolation

Aug 3, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #43 of 81
Quote:

Not to open another can of worms, but I just saw that JH Audio had a $399 custom IEM (JH5 Pro), and I didn't know customs from JH could be so cheap (they're the ultimate IEM company it seems)....

I'm considering these too buddy... wish i could get free ear impressions... ah

$100 for 2 ears? comon people..

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #44 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm considering these too buddy... wish i could get free ear impressions... ah

$100 for 2 ears? comon people..

Can you find any local shop cheaper? should not that expensive
mad.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #45 of 81
Are you talking about audiologist appointment? wth do they do anyway, stick memory foam in your ears??

I guess it's SE530 for me, now, and maybe 6-12 months later, JH-13 time...sound good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back