Help with my Headphone choice (A newbie here!! :) )
May 22, 2011 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Lyssky

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there Head-Fi frequenters, :)

I'm new to this organization and to the headphone world so I need a bit of advice on selecting my new headphones. 

Currently, I own Sennheiser HD 215 (though I do not know if it was a good choice or not) and I read tons of good reviews on HD 598. I mostly listen symphonic, folk, power metal and classical music (yes!). 
Of course when classical and metal figures unite in a music type like symphonic or folk or scandinavian metal, one wants to have both immense clarity and bass. In my poor opinion, I couldn't find much bass and clarity on my HD 215.
So:
1) I wonder if HD 598 will provide me these two aspects in a satisfactory way. (I have never tried an open headphone before so I hope it will have a crystal sound without the 'hshhhh' sound like little in-ear headphones)
2) Will it leak out too much noise?
3) Regarding the price and quality level of HD 598, what else do you recommend?

Thank You People!!!! 

May 22, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #2 of 30
I think AKG K-240S does prog.rock/sympho/metal very well.

If you want something closed which doesn't leak, Sennheiser HD-25's could be a good choice

May 22, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 30
Thanks man!!
I will consider AKG too..

Though I still need some comment on the versatility of HD 598 regarding sympho metal :))

May 22, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #6 of 30

Quote:
how is k 701 do you think? (dont consider the price)

I'd definitely choose K-240's sound signature over K-601 or K-701. As a matter of fact, I still own K-240's and sold K500/501/601/701

But sound is personal. I need a bit more body, I find 701 way too thin for rock/metal and I enjoy other headphones for jazz and classical

May 23, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #7 of 30

Quote:

I'd definitely choose K-240's sound signature over K-601 or K-701. As a matter of fact, I still own K-240's and sold K500/501/601/701

But sound is personal. I need a bit more body, I find 701 way too thin for rock/metal and I enjoy other headphones for jazz and classical

[size=medium]
Thanks Proglover!!

I need more of your comments considering these questions:
- When I listen sympho metal I really look for clarity and distinguishable sounds. I want to hear quite hitting bass as well.(bass drums, toms etc.) Most of the reviews support HD 598 and 650 that they can be really dexterous for whatever you throw at them. I also heard some bad reviews on K-240s so it makes me think since I am not buying a chewing gum. :) (I may seem a bit Sennheiser sided but this is because I have little experience on other brands). So at this point I am asking at $300 price level (think about all brands and their relationship with genres-I'm writing this cuz I'm not satisfied with the reviews of K-240s) kindly, what would you advice? (Please consider that clarity and symphonic sounds are as much important as the bass and rock sound for me)

- Secondly, think that I will be using this headphone with my iPhone 4 and will be listening to music on a bus where the giant engine will make a lot of noise. (You can also think urban noise where I take a lot of walk as well) So will I be satisfied with an open headphone as HD 598 and will I be able to listen to my music accordingly? 

Well, I asked too much but I will be veeeeery grateful if you share your experiences THANK YOU !!!
[/size]

May 23, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 30
Check out the Denon AH-D2000.

May 23, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #9 of 30
Whats your budget? Out of everything suggested, the D2000, IMO, will be the best. However, they will also be at the top of the price bracket for all headphones recommended in this thread.

May 23, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #10 of 30

Quote:
Whats your budget? Out of everything suggested, the D2000, IMO, will be the best. However, they will also be at the top of the price bracket for all headphones recommended in this thread.

Thanks man. Though I determined my budget as $300-400 though I look for the best option on behalf of what I've written above. The most important thing is I'm from Turkey and most of the time I will not have the opportunity to try and select what I shall buy so I need to make things clear in an organization like this before I buy something. That's why I ask so much :))))

May 23, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #13 of 30
Another question as well: What happens if I use a portable amp with HD 598? Will it be ok for my genres? Also 'Does it leak in or out too much noise? Will it be good for listening in crowded areas? :))

May 23, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #15 of 30

Quote:

Thanks Proglover!!

I need more of your comments considering these questions:
- When I listen sympho metal I really look for clarity and distinguishable sounds. I want to hear quite hitting bass as well.(bass drums, toms etc.) Most of the reviews support HD 598 and 650 that they can be really dexterous for whatever you throw at them. I also heard some bad reviews on K-240s so it makes me think since I am not buying a chewing gum. :) (I may seem a bit Sennheiser sided but this is because I have little experience on other brands). So at this point I am asking at $300 price level (think about all brands and their relationship with genres-I'm writing this cuz I'm not satisfied with the reviews of K-240s) kindly, what would you advice? (Please consider that clarity and symphonic sounds are as much important as the bass and rock sound for me)

- Secondly, think that I will be using this headphone with my iPhone 4 and will be listening to music on a bus where the giant engine will make a lot of noise. (You can also think urban noise where I take a lot of walk as well) So will I be satisfied with an open headphone as HD 598 and will I be able to listen to my music accordingly? 

Well, I asked too much but I will be veeeeery grateful if you share your experiences THANK YOU !!!

So you're looking for (trans)portables and you NEED isolation. If so, immediately forget about open headphones like those Senns you mention. Even, forget about the 240's, which also don't really isolate.

I think I know very well where you're coming from with the music you listen.

Grado's are great headphones for prog.rock/metal etc.
But nothing is more open then a Grado, so you could consider a Grado, but NOT for on the go when you want any kind of isolation. If you would decide to ever buy a Grado; the one I consider transparent, detailed, but also with a good bass punch, is HF-2, which I personally favor over RS1i for 'multi layered' kind of music.

As for portable, I think you're screaming for Sennheiser HD-25's. They're excitingly forward, isolate VERY good so you can get your desired detail retrieval without having to go so loud that you'd make yourself deaf. For progressive/symphonic, I didn't hear any better portable then HD-25, with the exception of Edition 8, but I personally don't consider those suitable for portable usage.

Audio Technica ES-10 is also a great rock orientated headphone, it gives more bass then HD-25, but isolates less (but enough for me in the bus), has less detail.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back