Help with my first real headphones
Sep 9, 2010 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

TheDropBear

New Head-Fier
I am fairly new to high-end audio but after experimenting with a few headphones and getting a taste of what's out there I am realizing I need to invest in some nice cans.  I am looking for an over the ear set because I will soon be going to college bowling tournaments in neighboring states which involves lengthy bus rides, anywhere from 2 to 20 hours.  Sometimes they put a movie on the bus' TV's (and my taste in movies varies from the rest of the team) so some form of noise cancellation would be welcome.  I also don't want to leak out a lot of sound and annoy the people around me.  I will be listening from my iPod most of the time and another form of amplification isn't really an option.  I would like to keep it around $200.

Does anything come to mind?  Also, I work at Best Buy so I can get a pair of Beats Studios for $150 (and in our Musical Instruments area we have a few pairs of Sennheisers but I'd have to check which models we have and the employee discount).  

Thanks in advance for your help and I am excited to try out any suggestions.

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #3 of 15
hey OP how much can you get the HD650 for?
beats studio isn't bad at all. ppl here hate it so much is because it's way over priced plus fales advertising. but since you can get it for $150, i'd say that's a bargin.

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #4 of 15
If you want noise cancellation and portability, go with IEMs (the little ones that go in your ears). Not earbuds, but the type that make a seal with your ear canal. Over the ear headphones, even noise cancelling ones, will never block out sound as well as something that seals the ear canal. You can go look in the portable headphones forum for advice about which IEM to buy. If you don't like things in your ears, there are several good portable over the ear headphones. Try searching for the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 or Sony MDR-V6. The Beats Studios are very portable, but the sound quality is very poor for the price you pay. Large, expensive audiophile over the ear headphones like the HD-650 are exactly what you don't want. They don't isolate at all and can't be driven by the signal from an ipod. If you are going full size you want a closed-back headphone with high sensitivity and a 3.5mm mini plug for your ipod. And whatever you buy, get it used in the for sale forums here. The price will be way lest than your discounted price and you can always re-sell it for the same price if you don't like it.

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 15
I'm not a huge fan of having things in my ears. I've use a few decent in ear buds (woud you consider Beats Tours monitors?) and they became uncomfortable after an hour or so.  The M50's look like something I'd use.  How is the sound leakage on the M50's and the MDR-V6's?  If it's not too bad on the M50's I'll probably try those out.  

Also, would this be a good buy?  

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/511645/fs-audio-technica-ath-m50-with-mogami-recable-4-pin-balanced-with-adapter-or-1-4-neutrik-se-your-choice

Would the recabling be a benefit for listening to an iPod for extended periods of time on a bus?  
Thanks again for the suggestions.

Sep 9, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 15
The M50s have very little leakage. Never tried the V6 myself. Comfort is good after the headband gets stretched out a little bit (normal use will do that). You can get these new for the price of the one you linked to. However, it does have a dual entry mod, and a balanced-ready cable. So it's worth considering if you plan to get a balanced amp in the future.

Another suggestion is the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80Ω version. The large velour earpads will make for excellent comfort over long hours. Also has good isolation like the M50. An iPod should be able to drive it unassisted, but adding something small like a FiiO E1 or E5 will make a difference.

Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of having things in my ears. I've use a few decent in ear buds (woud you consider Beats Tours monitors?) and they became uncomfortable after an hour or so.  The M50's look like something I'd use.  How is the sound leakage on the M50's and the MDR-V6's?  If it's not too bad on the M50's I'll probably try those out.  

Also, would this be a good buy?  

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/511645/fs-audio-technica-ath-m50-with-mogami-recable-4-pin-balanced-with-adapter-or-1-4-neutrik-se-your-choice

Would the recabling be a benefit for listening to an iPod for extended periods of time on a bus?  
Thanks again for the suggestions.

Sep 10, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 15
My only concern with the DT770 is portability (they look commmfffyy).  It looks a little bigger (relative to the M50's) but I guess neither is the most ideal portable solution.  Do you know anything about that mogami cable?  Is it flexible? Durable?  Would it hold up to being coiled up and put into a bag fairly frequently?  

Sep 10, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 15
none of these phones are consider small. the best closed portables are still ath-es10, ath-es9, denon d1001, creative aurvana live and ath-es7.

Sep 10, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #9 of 15
ES7 is a little lacking in the isolation department. I received my M50s a few days ago and have been loving them so far. They compete well with my much more expensive full-sized rig. Great isolation - I can't hear them over the roar of four loud fans in my dorm room and they also block out the majority of car conversations and the like. A little uncomfortable due to the clamping factor, but highly recommended.

Sep 10, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #11 of 15
ill probably get a bad impression, but $150 for a beats studio is not bad. they are worth that price.  the other portable id suggest is the es7 and es10.  if u like a warm sound, then es9a.

HOWEVER, i think the beats studio perform better than the es7. es10 costs way more than 150. es9a also costs more.
I also thought the performance of the denon d1001s was nothing special at all.

the m50s are probably a decent choice, but lacks the features of the beats. Noise canceling. I do not remember the sound of the M50s too much tho

I would recommend the Ultrasone HFI 580 for bass impact and detail over the M50, but still lacking the NC feature of beats if that's important to u. I think the isolation is better on the M50 also

Sep 10, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #12 of 15
FWIR, the D1001 would be more comfy (for most) for longer periods of use and is good at not leaking sound out. Probably most would prefer listening to the M50, and it isolates better - not sure if it's better at not leaking sound out though.
Quote:
How would the D1001's stack up against the M50's as far as noise isolation and overall sound quality?  

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #13 of 15
Sep 17, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #15 of 15
Well after a few days with them I can say I am very satisfied with my purchase.  Obviously a huge improvement over my previous setup but these are everything I was hoping for.  So here's a little breakdown of a noob's opinion of the DT770 Pro 80's:

What I like:
-they're comfortable (earpads are soft / headphones are light)
-audio quality (and now I know what albums I need to re-rip) (I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile yet so I won't go into any more detail here)
-the bass (I listen to a fair amount of electronic/hip hop music and the bass is clean and responsive without blowing my ear drums out. i.e. they sound amazing with my collection)
-they isolate noise good enough (not as much as I would prefer in a perfect world but when my roommate is watching t.v. in the same room I can only hear minimal explosions / loud scenes)
-they don't leak sound when they're on your head (really important for me when I take them along on road trips so I don't annoy my teammates)

What I don't like:
-they're pretty big and don't fold down (only a downside when I want to take them along.  I expected this with a full size set but I still don't like it)
-9 foot cable (i don't know what to do with it. I can literally use it as a jump rope)
-no carrying case / bag included (would have been nice for when i take them along but again I understand these aren't really meant for the road)
-the 3.5mm jack is large (i'm just afraid I'll end up breaking the adapter off inside of my iPod)

So that's a brief overview.  All of the things I don't like about them could be classified as nit-picking on account of these aren't meant to be portable.  But to sum up my opinion on these in three words: I love them.  Thanks again everyone for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back