Help With IEM's
Sep 19, 2012 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Jackcell

New Head-Fier
So I was going to add this to the ATH-CKM500 thread, but that really quickly degraded into an sub $200 IEM pissing match. 

I am looking for a good pair of IEM's for use with my 6th Gen iPod Nano and my 5th gen Rockboxed iPod. My Criteria are as follows;

1. Must be able to work out with it (Mainly run)
  2. Looking for something Under $150 (At an Absolute MAX)

Right now I have Athm50's and love them. But I don't know If I want something more analytical or not as I'm Not sure that It will work with my music. Here is a sample of what I listen to;

• T.I.
  • Waka Flocka Flame, Gucci Mane
  • White Stripes
  • Nelly Furtado, Timbaland
  • The XX
  • The Offspring
  • Radio Head
  • Manu Chao
  • Frank Ocean
  • Damian Marley
  • Beastie Boys
  • Classical Music (Chopin manily his Nocturnes)
  • Scott Joplin
  • George Gershwin
  • Bush, Blink 182, Citizen Cope, 311, Nirvana, Tears For Fears

I was considering The Shure se215, the Audio Technica ATH-CKM500, the GR07, and Some Hifi mans or something. SUGGEST ANYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF BUT GIVE A REASON PLEASE!

I have been reading just about IEM's for Days, but My music is so polar I Just don't know a single set that will fit.

Sep 19, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 18
I would recommend the Etymotic MC5 IEMs.

About 50 bucks, 2 year warranty, free !Awareness App, NRB Mod

I like em.

Jim

Sep 19, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 18
I think you will need something with rather low microphonics and good build quality/warranty for running. Hardly anything I've used for running will last the abuse.

The ckm500 lacks a cable cinch/clip that is sorely needed for running and if you buy ebay, you don't get warranty. The se215 (the black colored ones, not the clear) and GR07 are both good choices with reasonable microphonics and isolation. I've used both for running and they work quite great. se215 if you want something more lush sounding than the m50, especially in the vocals. The GR07 if you think your M50 can use a bit bass control. Both work great with the music you listed.

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:
I would recommend the Etymotic MC5 IEMs.

About 50 bucks, 2 year warranty, free !Awareness App, NRB Mod

I like em.

Jim

Thank you for the Recommendation. How are those compared with the CKM500, GR07, and se 215

Quote:
I think you will need something with rather low microphonics and good build quality/warranty for running. Hardly anything I've used for running will last the abuse.

The ckm500 lacks a cable cinch/clip that is sorely needed for running and if you buy ebay, you don't get warranty. The se215 (the black colored ones, not the clear) and GR07 are both good choices with reasonable microphonics and isolation. I've used both for running and they work quite great. se215 if you want something more lush sounding than the m50, especially in the vocals. The GR07 if you think your M50 can use a bit bass control. Both work great with the music you listed.

Wow, thank you very much for the informative information. What If I changed this around a little and was only focused on being averagely mobile rather than running. For instance walking around campus, would that change anything? How do the Etymotic MC5 IEM?

Sep 20, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 18
For walking you don't want too much isolation, so GR07 and se215 are still good choices. I still think the lack of cable cinch can be a hassle for walking due to microphonics. 

Are you considering used IEM as well? If yes, TFP10 is also another good option for your music. I haven't tried the mc5 before, though I used to have the Ety hf5, supposedly an upgrade from the MC5. That one has too much isolation, I can't never feel at ease crossing the road with them on. Not sure if it's the same case with the mc5.

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:
For walking you don't want too much isolation, so GR07 and se215 are still good choices. I still think the lack of cable cinch can be a hassle for walking due to microphonics. 

Are you considering used IEM as well? If yes, TFP10 is also another good option for your music. I haven't tried the mc5 before, though I used to have the Ety hf5, supposedly an upgrade from the MC5. That one has too much isolation, I can't never feel at ease crossing the road with them on. Not sure if it's the same case with the mc5.

Yeah, I never thought about Isolation being a problem, but that does make sense. 

I'm Not crazy about used IEM's. In fact, I just can't bring my self to do that. How about the Westone UM1, any experience with that? I'm just exploring all my possibilities. 

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #8 of 18
Dependent on your player...

The !Awarness App allows you to tailor your isolation levels.

Jim
Quote:
Yeah, I never thought about Isolation being a problem, but that does make sense. 

I'm Not crazy about used IEM's. In fact, I just can't bring my self to do that. How about the Westone UM1, any experience with that? I'm just exploring all my possibilities. 

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Oh, I forgot to ask, What is the Difference between the Black and Clear se215 and have they fixed the socket?

Sep 20, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #10 of 18
The Yamaha EPH-100 would fit the bill along with maybe the Rockit R-50.  

The EPH-100 has a more relaxed sound but still have very good detail and good bass impact and depth.

As for the R-50 they have more over all detail and clarity but lack the bass impact of the EPH-100 though I find the bass to be plenty with a little EQ'ing.

Both have above average soundstage and the R-50 has better imaging and separation but the EPH-100 is to bad either.

Sep 20, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
The Yamaha EPH-100 would fit the bill along with maybe the Rockit R-50.  

The EPH-100 has a more relaxed sound but still have very good detail and good bass impact and depth.

As for the R-50 they have more over all detail and clarity but lack the bass impact of the EPH-100 though I find the bass to be plenty with a little EQ'ing.

Both have above average soundstage and the R-50 has better imaging and separation but the EPH-100 is to bad either.

The R-50 to me looked a little cheap in terms of holding up while running. Maybe it's me. Those Yamaha's look wonderful though. 

How do the EPH-100 Measure up with previously mentioned IEM's?

and could someone answer this, Oh, I forgot to ask, What is the Difference between the Black and Clear se215 and have they fixed the socket?

Sep 20, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #12 of 18
I personally like the sound of the EPH-100 more than the GR07 but the R-50 sounds better than both.  Don't let the look fool you they're build quality is good and there so light that you want even notice them when you run.  Though's are what I use when I go jogging or to workout and they fit so well that you don't ever have to adjust them when your running.

The EPH-100 also fit good but I think they have a little more microphonics in the cable over the R-50 but both would be a good choice and are better for running in than the GR07.

Sep 20, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #13 of 18
Oh, I forgot to ask, What is the Difference between the Black and Clear se215 and have they fixed the socket?

Color and fixed.

Sep 20, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

not true. it depends on the seller. some of them offer the regular 1 year

and yes, get the CKM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back