Help With IEM Upgrade
Jun 9, 2012 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bjgrenke

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade my Bose IE earphones. After upgrading my home headphones to DT990 Pros, I think it's time to step up the bar on my portable listening. Basically just looking for a more detailed sounding IEM. The thing I am NOT willing to sacrifice from my Bose earphones is the bass. Even more would be great. I don't really want to spend upwards of $150.

A couple that I've come across are:
Shure SE215
Ultimate Ears 500

The one thing that's quite important is fit. I can never get the bud type earbuds like the Ultimate Ears to fit in my ears. My Mom has a pair of Monster Miles Davis Tribute earbuds and they can't stay in for the life of me. That's the main reason I went with the Bose IE earbuds, they fit in my ears beautifully. The SE215s look like they'd stay a bit better as the drivers seem to sit in your ear if I'm not mistaken.

Any other suggestions would be great.

Jun 10, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #5 of 12
Jun 10, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #8 of 12
Never heard the Bose, but what did you make of the Tributes? 

None of the ones that have been brought up will give you the amount of bass the Tributes have. 

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
Well, I think you should go for the FXT90, and buy some extra tips that fit it, then you can compare it to the Miles Davis Tribute.

I'll have to do some looking around for tips. The only ones that fit decently on earbuds for me are the double/triple flanged tips or really foamy ones that I can squish before putting in.
Quote:
lendmeurears.com, $157

http://lendmeurears.com/product_info.php?cPath=13&products_id=109 $200 o.o
Quote:
Never heard the Bose, but what did you make of the Tributes? 

None of the ones that have been brought up will give you the amount of bass the Tributes have. 

Hmm, I never actually listened to the Tributes extensively. I just thought that since they were a "jazz" type headphone they'd be focused on the highs and mids. I'll give them a listen for a day or two and if I like them maybe I can do a little swap :wink:

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
Hmm, I never actually listened to the Tributes extensively. I just thought that since they were a "jazz" type headphone they'd be focused on the highs and mids. I'll give them a listen for a day or two and if I like them maybe I can do a little swap :wink:

Make sure you get a good seal. I know you said they don't stay in for too long- is it the housing that is too big or just the tips that need to be changed to a different size?

And btw, we refer to earphones such as the Tributes, SE215, UE500 etc as IEMs (in-ear monitors) since they have a nozzle that goes into your ear canals unlike earbud type earphones. 

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Make sure you get a good seal. I know you said they don't stay in for too long- is it the housing that is too big or just the tips that need to be changed to a different size?

And btw, we refer to earphones such as the Tributes, SE215, UE500 etc as IEMs (in-ear monitors) since they have a nozzle that goes into your ear canals unlike earbud type earphones. 

Tried them out and the only tip that fit decently in the triple fanged one. Took me about 5 seconds to realize that the SQ and bass is nowhere near to that of my Bose earbuds. I think it's a combination of the tips, which the triple flanged are the only ones that fit but aren't so comfy, and the weight/size of the housing. 

Ah, good to know. The most are sort of a combination of both. Fit like an earbud but go into the canal a bit. They fit me perfectly. Not much else out there that fits like them though :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back