Help with getting a headset
May 1, 2010 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

freefrag

New Head-Fier
Hey there

My Pc's 350 microphone gave in a few weeks ago (it just stopped working) and Im looking for a new headset. Originally I was going to get the Astro A40's with the mixamp, but after a little bit of research I decided to give those a rest.

Since I really enjoyed my 350's I decided, that I could get a new pair of those - along with an astro mixamp, however the 360's were just announced and they seem really good. The problem is however that if I buy them I wont be able to afford the mixamp.

Since Im really inexperienced with headsets I was wondering if you could give me a little bit of advice and maybe suggest different options.

P.S

I want to use the headset mostly on my PC for gaming (same goes for the mixamp - I have a proper amplifier for my consoles) and as far as Im aware my current sound card is the creative X-Fi titanium. Also I travel a lot and that is why Id rather have a headset then headphones and a separate microphone

May 2, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #2 of 6
I can tell you that you don't need a mixamp for computer gaming when you have an X-Fi. Just turn on CMSS-3D and enjoy very realistic virtualized surround sound. As for headsets, around here most people use higher quality headphones and a separate mic. Better quality same or less money.

May 2, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #3 of 6
Welcome to Head-Fi.

I agree. I'll recommend the Audio Technica AD700 (with boom mic mod).

May 2, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #4 of 6
I've used the JVC HARX700, JVC HADX3 and Denon D2000 with a Turtle Beach HPA2 flex-boom mic zip tied to the LH cup support. All were miles better than any headset I used...and all but the D2000's were much cheaper than the PC350's which I almost purchased. The HPA2's were solid for a 5.1 headset I suppose...the mic was the best part...so I took it with me, and even the $33 RX700's blew the $80 HPA2's out of the water. But as you notice I went closed cans because of isolation and leakage issues with roomates, g/f's, wanting bass without expensive amps and what-not. Depending on what you're after sound-wise. Why not mod your PC350's using ourfpshero's mods, remove the mic if possible and wire in a new one to the factory boom while you have it apart? I've never had a mic fail on me with any gaming headset unless a dog or kid got to it and broke the wiring or soldered connections. Might be repairable if you're up to it to dig in and find the failure...if you're thinking of tossing them out...you might as well try to fix them first.

Edit: Ourfpshero's PC350 mod thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mod...eadset-406187/

May 2, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for your replies.

To be honest, Id rather avoid modding my headphones or buying a separate boom microphone, because a headset is a lot more convenient and I don't risk breaking anything.
That said, I will attempt to repair my PC 350s microphone and make the few changes to increase the base.

BTW. has anyone tested the PC 360 (I found a review on the internet, but it doesnt seem too reliable) and could comment on them? (They have an open design and are supposed to sound much better then the PC350s, if that is true I would get them instead of a boom + headphones.)

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
I've used the JVC HARX700, JVC HADX3 and Denon D2000 with a Turtle Beach HPA2 flex-boom mic zip tied to the LH cup support. All were miles better than any headset I used...and all but the D2000's were much cheaper than the PC350's which I almost purchased. The HPA2's were solid for a 5.1 headset I suppose...the mic was the best part...so I took it with me, and even the $33 RX700's blew the $80 HPA2's out of the water. But as you notice I went closed cans because of isolation and leakage issues with roomates, g/f's, wanting bass without expensive amps and what-not. Depending on what you're after sound-wise. Why not mod your PC350's using ourfpshero's mods, remove the mic if possible and wire in a new one to the factory boom while you have it apart? I've never had a mic fail on me with any gaming headset unless a dog or kid got to it and broke the wiring or soldered connections. Might be repairable if you're up to it to dig in and find the failure...if you're thinking of tossing them out...you might as well try to fix them first.

Edit: Ourfpshero's PC350 mod thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mod...eadset-406187/

You added a turtle beach hpa2 replacement mic to these JVC HA-RX700 headphones. I'm getting a pair and was wondering about the best mic to add to them. Are you totally happy with the turtle beach mic, or if you had it to do over what mic would you use?

Do you have a link to a pic of it? I can't find it.

Thanks,
-TG

I tried PM'ing you but it said I only get 2 pm's/day?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back