Help with fixing Sony MDR V6
May 12, 2012 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Meshaboo

100+ Head-Fier
So I've had my V6's for over a year now, but I'm having problems... take a look at this pic: 

the wire on the right side is frayed... whenever I listen to music, I sometimes have to turn the headphone jack to hear out of the right side. 
Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it possible to get this fixed, and can I do it myself? I really don't know what to do :'( Help somebody, PLEASEE!!!

May 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 8
le bump

May 14, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 8
Anyone? Please SOMEONE help me!!!

May 14, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 8
Apparently you have no confidence or soldering ability since you haven;t fixed them already. If I could astral project myself to you I would but alas I lost that ability when I stopped eating ice cream and switched to a high cayenne pepper diet. Here is what I would do.

Remind yourself that headphones are fragile

Carefully take them apart.

Cut the wires at the bad spot.

Strip the insulation off at a length comparable to the existing internal wiring

Remind yourself that headphones are fragile.

Tin the freshly cut wires at the ends.

un-solder the old wires and solder the freshly cut wires one at a time matching color. 

button things up and test.

If they don't work or you have more cable problems throw the cable in the parts bin and start over. Since you are now an expert revolutionize the industry with a variable port design utilizing bio-metric rat intestines that compensate for the random human ear shape.

May 28, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 8
Haha Thanks for your advice but I have one problem... I don't know what tools to use and I need to know how much they cost...

Quote:
Apparently you have no confidence or soldering ability since you haven;t fixed them already. If I could astral project myself to you I would but alas I lost that ability when I stopped eating ice cream and switched to a high cayenne pepper diet. Here is what I would do.

Carefully take them apart.

Cut the wires at the bad spot.

Strip the insulation off at a length comparable to the existing internal wiring

Remind yourself that headphones are fragile.

Tin the freshly cut wires at the ends.

un-solder the old wires and solder the freshly cut wires one at a time matching color. 

button things up and test.

If they don't work or you have more cable problems throw the cable in the parts bin and start over. Since you are now an expert revolutionize the industry with a variable port design utilizing bio-metric rat intestines that compensate for the random human ear shape.

May 28, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #6 of 8
A pair of wire cutters (scissors can do in a pinch), wire strippers (a knife or scissors can do in a pinch), some solder and a soldering iron are all you need.

Soldering irons are usually not expensive.

May 28, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Haha Thanks for your advice but I have one problem... I don't know what tools to use and I need to know how much they cost...

a cutter for stripping the insulator = free, you have it in your house probably
a pair of scissors for cutting the wires = free, you have it in your house probably
a table = free, you have it in your house probably
a wall outlet for plugging in your soldering iron = free, you have it in your house probably
some screwdrivers to use for your headphone = free, you have it in your house probably
soldering iron = 10usd minimum, make sure to buy low wattage (i use 30w)
soldering lead = 5usd for a whole roll

Nov 20, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 8
After 2 years, I finally had no choice but to try to fix them myself... I searched for people in my school to help but no one wanted to .... Finally went to Radio Shack today and bought an $11 soldering kit and $7 heat shrinking tubes... I panicked the first 3 times I tried to fix them, but somehow I got them to stay together and I FIXED THEM! 
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back