Help with Dac/Amp Combo
Dec 31, 2018 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

EzequielFriscia

Head-Fier
ok guys. I bought the Sennheiser HD6XX. I’ll be trying them next month since I’m in my home country and I sent them to my gf’s house.

So, I’ve been reading and reading and reading and still can’t decide for an DAC/Amp combo.
Some people I read said that it’s better to do a good investment in a great amp and then maybe in a second purchase go ahead with a DAC, I could live with this running a 3.5mm to RCA from my thunderbolt dock.

Well, I’m kinda lost really. My budget is $500, I could push more if there’s enough reason.
I’d like something to really appreciate the soundstage, being detail but not harsh at all, if possible something in the warm side.

Finally I’d like to preserve aesthetic, like Schiit does in their lineup. Talking about Schiit I can’t even decide simple things like Magni 3 or Vali 2, even Modi vs Modi Multibit. I have read so many and contrary opinions that I don’t know what to think anymore.

Thanks a lot as usually and happy new year!

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #4 of 13
I read that they are pretty plain / neutral from almost all reviewers / customers, that’s why I discarded them.

I find neutral to be a good thing when it comes to DACs and Amps because it doesn’t change the sound signature of your specific headphones. However, I do understand the need for something more. Wish I could help you further, but DACs and Amps aren’t my area of expertise.

Nice to see you pulled the trigger on the HD6XX, btw.

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 13
I find neutral to be a good thing when it comes to DACs and Amps because it doesn’t change the sound signature of your specific headphones. However, I do understand the need for something more. Wish I could help you further, but DACs and Amps aren’t my area of expertise.

Nice to see you pulled the trigger on the HD6XX, btw.

Yeah you gave me a nice amount of confidence about them ! Thanks a lot !

About the O2, what holds me back too is that it does not have preout or anything, because I could have just added a Subjective 3.

Dec 31, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 13
ok guys. I bought the Sennheiser HD6XX. I’ll be trying them next month since I’m in my home country and I sent them to my gf’s house.
So, I’ve been reading and reading and reading and still can’t decide for an DAC/Amp combo.
Some people I read said that it’s better to do a good investment in a great amp and then maybe in a second purchase go ahead with a DAC, I could live with this running a 3.5mm to RCA from my thunderbolt dock.
Well, I’m kinda lost really. My budget is $500, I could push more if there’s enough reason.
I’d like something to really appreciate the soundstage, being detail but not harsh at all, if possible something in the warm side.
Finally I’d like to preserve aesthetic, like Schiit does in their lineup. Talking about Schiit I can’t even decide simple things like Magni 3 or Vali 2, even Modi vs Modi Multibit. I have read so many and contrary opinions that I don’t know what to think anymore. Thanks a lot as usually and happy new year!
Thunderbolt dock, so we can assume your using an Apple product as the source.
Apple products usually come with a fairly decent built in DAC function.
So really all you should need for now is a headphone amplifier.
A Schiit Magni or JDS Atom would be a good value, for the price.

Dec 31, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #7 of 13
Thunderbolt dock, so we can assume your using an Apple product as the source.
Apple products usually come with a fairly decent built in DAC function.
So really all you should need for now is a headphone amplifier.
A Schiit Magni or JDS Atom would be a good value, for the price.

Nice to know really ! I’m willing to make that sacrifice for a grater good !

What amp could I pick higher in the chain? I read that Jot is kinda sharp/edgy and people complains about internal DAC.

On the other hand I have, Asgard, Valhalla 2, Vyr 3 (Althougj is combo)

I’m open to other choices if I can stack in the future and maintain a visual line.

Dec 31, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #8 of 13
Nice to know really ! I’m willing to make that sacrifice for a grater good !

What amp could I pick higher in the chain? I read that Jot is kinda sharp/edgy and people complains about internal DAC.

On the other hand I have, Asgard, Valhalla 2, Vyr 3 (Althougj is combo)

I’m open to other choices if I can stack in the future and maintain a visual line.

Dec 31, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #9 of 13
Jan 1, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #11 of 13
Jan 1, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #12 of 13
I’m quite partial to Audio-gd gear as well. For under $400, the NFB-11.28 is a great choice, as is the R2R-11 if you’re looking for that warmer, resistor ladder DAC sound.

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #13 of 13
I can easily and wholeheartedly recommend the Geshelli labs enog2 pro dac and archel pro amp. If you don't need a lot of connectivity options and want barebones no frill devices they are it. They sound really good and look awesome too. Click my username on here for reviews and also on reddit. It's just as powerful as all the other $100 amps right now. It actually seems more powerful than my liquid spark and sounds better to boot. I definitely recommend it over the magni 3. I've listened to all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back