Help with ATH-M50 hinge?
Jun 24, 2012 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ToastedPopcorn

New Head-Fier
I know many people commend the ATH-M50's durability, but I've come across a problem. There has been a thread on this topic (http://www.head-fi.org/t/602465/broke-my-ath-m50s-need-some-help), but there wasn't any solution. Essentially, one day, I put on my m50's and I heard a noise, then the left earcup wouldn't fit on my ear. Now, the left earcup isn't aligned with the right ear cup any more (which clamps upwards), is straight, and can swivel is almost every direction. Any suggestions would be helpful, pictures can be posted if it helps. Thanks! 

Jun 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 20
Ooooh boy! It definitely looks like something just popped out of place. I'd try your best to just snap it back into its normal position. There's a little stopper tab that's supposed to prevent the headphone from moving into a position like that.

Jun 24, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 20
Yep.
Unfortunately it looks like your tab broke off.
triportsad.gif

Jun 24, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 20
This is what that tab is supposed to look like

AT has a one year warranty on these. I'd give em a call or an e-mail. 

Jun 24, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:
This is what that tab is supposed to look like

AT has a one year warranty on these. I'd give em a call or an e-mail. 

Well, I live in Canada, so I'm not sure if they'll honour the warranty, but I guess I'll send them an email and see what happens, by the way, thanks for all your help so far! (PS, I'm jealous of your lighting :p

Jun 24, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #11 of 20
Well, I did doctor the photo up a little bit. I had to crank the brightness and contrast way up. I also shined a desk lamp over it while taking the photo.

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #14 of 20
Howdy TP,

Just wondering if you resolved your broken "tab" issue?

This has just happened to me and I am hoping they can send a part and I can fix it myself.
This should save everyone hassle.

Any suggestions for me ...

Look forward to your response.

Dec 2, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #15 of 20
  Howdy TP,

Just wondering if you resolved your broken "tab" issue?

This has just happened to me and I am hoping they can send a part and I can fix it myself.
This should save everyone hassle.

Any suggestions for me ...

Look forward to your response.

I got a pretty decent fix for the headphones regarding the tab issue in particular. My tab broke completely on my left ear, and was worn on my right ear, so I decided to replace both completely.

http://imgur.com/a/UC0GQ

I used: Pliers, drill/adequate drill bits, screwdriver, two small screws, two square washers, and two nuts.

I removed the covering bit completely, as it was purely cosmetic. I used the pliers to clear some of the plastic in the way so I could drill into the plastic. The rest of it was pretty simple. Works like a charm now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back