Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Broke my ATH-M50's Need some help.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Broke my ATH-M50's Need some help.

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

I searched around trying to find a tutorial on how to replace the hinge. The cable got caught on me and I dropped them about 4 feet and one of the hinges no longer holds the headphone in place. Hope that makes sense the headphone is now flat as opposed to  sticking out so there's a perfect fit over your ear. The hinge essential folds too far in. I was wondering if anyone's ever fixed this and can tell me how difficult it was, as the tear down looked ungodly difficult. Also has anyone sent this in for repair at audio technica, I'd like to avoid paying 100 bucks to fix it when there's perfectly good used ones going for similar prices around here. Any thoughts? 

 

IMG_20120324_212054.jpg


Edited by miijin - 3/24/12 at 9:23pm
post #2 of 14


Damn! I knew I am not the only one broke it like this

 but I haven't found any way to fix it frown.gif end up moving on to new headphone frown.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by miijin View Post

I searched around trying to find a tutorial on how to replace the hinge. The cable got caught on me and I dropped them about 4 feet and one of the hinges no longer holds the headphone in place. Hope that makes sense the headphone is now flat as opposed to  sticking out so there's a perfect fit over your ear. The hinge essential folds too far in. I was wondering if anyone's ever fixed this and can tell me how difficult it was, as the tear down looked ungodly difficult. Also has anyone sent this in for repair at audio technica, I'd like to avoid paying 100 bucks to fix it when there's perfectly good used ones going for similar prices around here. Any thoughts? 

 

IMG_20120324_212054.jpg



 

post #3 of 14

 

Wow - those have seen some miles, never seen the pads like that!

 

I'm taking a punt here but I'd say it might be time for a new set.

post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarmi View Post

 

Wow - those have seen some miles, never seen the pads like that!

 

I'm taking a punt here but I'd say it might be time for a new set.



This ^

I can say you should probably look into some new pads blink.gif, and the price of new pads and a repair would be about that of a new pair.

 

47c0b4fc_IMG_20120324_212054.jpg

 

Here's my idea.

post #5 of 14

just buy another one so you can say you have two :D, I would ^^. 

post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 

I've thought about buying a new pair and keeping these for parts, the pads have seen some major miles. They are 3 years old, and i never changed the pads.. they never bothered me enough lol. I always did want some with the soft pads instead of these pleather things.. would get hot in AZ. 

post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkoolaidman View Post



This ^

I can say you should probably look into some new pads blink.gif, and the price of new pads and a repair would be about that of a new pair.

 

47c0b4fc_IMG_20120324_212054.jpg

 

Here's my idea.


O i didn't notice your idea at first, i'll give it a whirl and let you know if it worked.

 

post #8 of 14

What about epoxy in that same location?

post #9 of 14

i would also consider the fact maybe you should just buy a new pair. Damn those things are beat! 

post #10 of 14

Don't try glue things there since the pressure of the pad is too much for a small pieces to handle ( you can't use big since it would touch your head) 

Believe me I have tried and failed just buy a new one :(
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miijin View Post

 


O i didn't notice your idea at first, i'll give it a whirl and let you know if it worked.

 



 

post #11 of 14

Wow, those pads have some serious wear. Glad that you've at least got some good miles from them. There are usually like new m50's on the for sale forums. Just do an advanced search.

 

Good luck!!

post #12 of 14

Ask the Audiotechnica customer service if you can buy THIS specific part. Tried to get some ATH-M50 cups for modding, asked them whether I could buy some cups. They said they only sell earpads, but are able to send me used cups for free. Well, they did, and inside of them were unused M50 Drivers as well... the whole cups with dampening, drivers and everything but the pads. (**** was so cash)

 

Just try you luck, an email won't hurt anybody.

 

post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by roBernd View Post

Ask the Audiotechnica customer service if you can buy THIS specific part. Tried to get some ATH-M50 cups for modding, asked them whether I could buy some cups. They said they only sell earpads, but are able to send me used cups for free. Well, they did, and inside of them were unused M50 Drivers as well... the whole cups with dampening, drivers and everything but the pads. (**** was so cash)

 

Just try you luck, an email won't hurt anybody.

 



What email did you reach them at? Parts@ATUS.com?

post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by miijin View Post



What email did you reach them at? Parts@ATUS.com?



Well, I live in Germany, so I used the contact formular they offer on their web-page... regardless, they will redirect your Mail if you get the wrong one... unless they are total *insert profanity*

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Broke my ATH-M50's Need some help.