Help with AKG N20NC in-line remote issue on Android
Sep 3, 2017 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

DDDYKI

100+ Head-Fier
I picked up the AKG N20NC in-ears a few months ago, partially because the remote has a switch that makes it compatible with iOS (I have an iPad Air 2, be gentle) and Android (Tmobile Galaxy S7, stock and unrooted). But I found out a few weeks later that the + volume sometimes would actually lower the volume. AKG's Twitter support surmised it was a defective pair, so I returned it to the store & bought another a week or two later (serial number is only a few off from the first pair, d'oh) and still have the same problem. It's completely random and it will usually resolve itself after 30 seconds or so. I downloaded Android Remote Tester and can see that + sometimes is recognized as -. It then randomly rights itself, until the next time--whenever that is.

I'll deal with AKG Support again but I was wondering if anyone here had some technical insight into this issue. I know Apple uses (used) one configuration for the jack, and Android phones...use more than one. My Sennheiser Momentum Android models work flawlessly on my S7 , and I never had problems with the Xiaomi Pistons. So why would the AKGs have this sudden problem? I know 3-button Android remotes are rare, perhaps the different configurations is a reason why. I remember I had a Sennheiser active headphone for a bit and the remote didn't work with my LG G2, despite being labeled for Android.

I really want to keep these so I have a pair of NCs to use in warmer weather and for when I don't want to carry around my Momentum 2 AEBTs.

Jan 9, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 2
Wanted to give this a very overdue bump, in case anyone has some insight. I sent the N20NC to Harman for warranty repair and got a brand new replacement, different serial number. Within 3 minutes, I had the same problem where + would lower the volume. The box has the Designed for Android logo on the bottom, so it must have passed some test somewhere. Maybe Samsung's headphone jacks have a different configuration from the others? The Sennheiser M2s work just fine (and have a Designed for Samsung logo on the box), so I'm thinking this is the case. I'm sure these were in production before the Harman/Samsung deal went through, but it's odd that these would be incompatible with the #1 Android phone mfr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back