Help: What is the Best SS Amp around $1K?
Mar 1, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #16 of 54
For under $1k, I'd hope someone might eventually do a Meier Corda Concerto vs. Audio-gd Roc comparison, though Skylab compared it to the Phoenix. For classical, balanced HD-800s out of the Phoenix (from a Reference 1 DAC) have a very wide soundstage, wider than single-ended by a noticeable margin, though I don't know if going balanced interests you.

You might also consider seeing what you can get for $1k with Stax, as you might, if you're lucky, get a very good rig for around that price.

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #17 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by bismack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could anyone talk about the characteristics of BETA 22? Thanks!

I haven't heard a B22, SE or balanced, but from what I've read, its primary feature is neutrality at its best. Thus, if it's audophile neutrality that you're after, this is supposed to be the holy grail.

The problem with any high-end amp, even if it's under a grand, is that it probably needs decent supporting gear such as a high-end DAC and high-end cans. And other head-fiers will insist that the setup won't be maxxed until you've also added a high-end power filter, headphone cable, interconnects, power cords, transport, and recordings.

So upgrading one element in the lineup is like jacking up one corner of a house. If you don't simultaneously raise all the other corners, you're in trouble.

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #18 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So upgrading one element in the lineup is like jacking up one corner of a house. If you don't simultaneously raise all the other corners, you're in trouble.

I would say that's only true for headphone upgrades. Particularly very detailed, revealing, or difficult to drive headphones like the HD800. The increase in resolution will only reveal the shortcomings in the rest of the chain, and thus the "upgrade" becomes almost more of a "downgrade".

Amps and sources are another matter. If you have a mid-fi rig that sounds good to you, and you replace your source or your amp with something high-end, your net result is still a gain in SQ. People on here might whinge at you about it being a "waste", but you can ignore them. It's your rig, not theirs.

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #20 of 54
Thanks all guys. It seems like there are several choices out there.
To CapQ: Would the difference between each DIY Beta 22 to be significant?
To jeplg: Thanks for your advice, but I plan to stick with my current cans.
To Currawong: I will search ROC and Phoenix, thanks for your advice.
To feifan: thanks for your nice point, that's why I've updated my cdp from rega planet to audio research CD2. From the research I've done, I am confident that CD2 is good enough to be the source in a phone system.

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #21 of 54
Assuming they are well built I wouldn't imagine that there would be that many differences if any between different B22, assuming same config.

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #22 of 54
Quote:

Thanks all guys. It seems like there are several choices out there.
To CapQ: Would the difference between each DIY Beta 22 to be significant?
To jeplg: Thanks for your advice, but I plan to stick with my current cans.
To Currawong: I will search ROC and Phoenix, thanks for your advice.
To feifan: thanks for your nice point, that's why I've updated my cdp from rega planet to audio research CD2. From the research I've done, I am confident that CD2 is good enough to be the source in a phone system.

Beta-22s don't sound different. They have different feature sets, but if they are well built, they sound the same. If you are concerned about the quality of a build, get pics and post them in the DIY forum for everyone to evaluate for you. People put A LOT of time and energy into DIY builds and as a result they often come out better than what you could buy.

The beta is a fantastic amp and you will never do better for the price. When you see a beta for $1100, you must realize that the price is pure parts cost. There is no labor, no markup etc. For a commercial offering with a parts cost of $1100, you would be looking at a $3000-4000 amp easy.

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #23 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The beta is a fantastic amp and you will never do better for the price. When you see a beta for $1100, you must realize that the price is pure parts cost. There is no labor, no markup etc. For a commercial offering with a parts cost of $1100, you would be looking at a $3000-4000 amp easy.

What good is $1100 worth of parts that's simply futzed together? There are a reasonable number of crappily built Betas out there, so I'd say go for a pro build or not at all.

Anyways, a single ended Beta or (rarer) Dynahi is the way to go for SS, although I wouldn't complain if I found a nice M3 or Dynalo, either.

For tubes, I'd go for a used Woo 6 SE or Trafomatic or Donald North. Oddly enough, I have not heard any of those myself. I'm only going by the words of techier folks than myself.

Edit: I forgot hybrids. If you can find a good EHHA or Stacker somehow, that'd be nice, too.

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What good is $1100 worth of parts that's simply futzed together? There are a reasonable number of crappily built Betas out there, so I'd say go for a pro build or not at all.

Anyways, a single ended Beta or (rarer) Dynahi is the way to go for SS, although I wouldn't complain if I found a nice M3 or Dynalo, either.

For tubes, I'd go for a used Woo 6 SE or Trafomatic or Donald North. Oddly enough, I have not heard any of those myself. I'm only going by the words of techier folks than myself.

Edit: I forgot hybrids. If you can find a good EHHA or Stacker somehow, that'd be nice, too.

I agree, although I'm not implying anything about oneplustwo's build. It looks good to me.

If you want to go for a professionally made Beta for the same price from a respected member here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...-audio-464627/

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #25 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard a B22, SE or balanced, but from what I've read, its primary feature is neutrality at its best. Thus, if it's audophile neutrality that you're after, this is supposed to be the holy grail.

The problem with any high-end amp, even if it's under a grand, is that it probably needs decent supporting gear such as a high-end DAC and high-end cans. And other head-fiers will insist that the setup won't be maxxed until you've also added a high-end power filter, headphone cable, interconnects, power cords, transport, and recordings.

This is absolutely true. The first time I heard a balanced Beta22 I thought it sounded horrible. It was plugged into a cheap Keces DAC with a computer as a transport. But then I figured I would take the amp over to my DAC and transport and see how it sounded (which at the time was a PS Audio DL3 with RAM mods and a Squeezebox Duet with CIAudio). Good thing I did because it sounded incredible.

Beta22 is an extremely revealing amp. Garbage in, garbage out.

Mar 6, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #26 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is absolutely true. The first time I heard a balanced Beta22 I thought it sounded horrible. It was plugged into a cheap Keces DAC with a computer as a transport. But then I figured I would take the amp over to my DAC and transport and see how it sounded (which at the time was a PS Audio DL3 with RAM mods and a Squeezebox Duet with CIAudio). Good thing I did because it sounded incredible.

Beta22 is an extremely revealing amp. Garbage in, garbage out.

For the record, are you implying that a computer as a transport is inferior?

USG

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #28 of 54
I'd suggest the PS Audio GCHA. It's a fantastic amp: Clean, neutral, and very precise. There's not much Head-Fi love for it (and I have no idea why).

I sold it once back about a year ago when I had, like, seven home amps and just got another one delivered yesterday. I'm listening to it as I type and am thinking to myself that I really must have needed the money when I sold my other amp, 'cause this thing sounds great!

Even better, you might still be able to get one from Music Direct for the sale price they were offering it at...get this: $500.00! It was back ordered, but apparently, they're shipping now. It's a fabulous machine.

If you want an amp that doesn't color the sound coming in at all, you might consider this one. On the other hand, if you're after a particular "sound" you might look elsewhere.

Anyways, I had to give a shout-out to my favorite, reasonably priced SS amp.

Good luck in your search.

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #29 of 54
Quote:

Hi, I need some help to upgrade my system.
My current system is Audio Research CD2 +corda prehead-1 HD600/K501/DT990. I listen to classical music(symphony, concerto,piano,etc) 99% of time, and my budget for the comming SS amp is about $1K. It doesn't matter if it's new or not. I hope with the amp, I can easily hear the improvement of my system.

Talking about Cordas: I really like my Symphony – with the HD 800. It also has a great built-in DAC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have some good hardware in the CD2 & Prehead. I'd look at the Beyerdynamic T1, or maybe sell one or more of your current cans & get the Sennheiser HD800.

Good Idea! On the other hand, the Symphony represents quite some (sonic) progress compared to the Prehead, and the new Concerto is worth a look, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back