help picking an amp....for my AD700 to my xbox
Oct 14, 2010 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

lunatic86

New Head-Fier
just brought the AD700 and i got no clue with this sorta stuff been reading alot of forums but still dint find an answer,
1st do i need an amp for my AD700 to my xbox? also what sort of amp should i be looking for,what i want is low budget and i only care for direction cue for gaming.. i see the Cmoy are a good price but will i benifit from them ??

Oct 14, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 18
The AD700s are really easy to drive. no amp needed.

A fiio E5 (or a bass boost Cmoy) is maybe a nice thing to have because of the bass boost. but thats just pure preference IMO.

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 18
Um...he said he's looking for directional cues mainly...so he WILL need and amp/dac in that regard. Get the Astro Mixamp if you want to use voice chat...if not, get the DSS EarForce by Turtle Beach for much less. These both give you Dolby Headphone which will give you the directionality you seek!

-Daniel

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
Um...he said he's looking for directional cues mainly...so he WILL need and amp/dac in that regard. Get the Astro Mixamp if you want to use voice chat...if not, get the DSS EarForce by Turtle Beach for much less. These both give you Dolby Headphone which will give you the directionality you seek!

-Daniel

My soundcard uses CMSS3D and I don't even use it as my AD900s provide better directional queues without it. Dolby headphone is another technology which does the same as CMSS3D.

To answer the OP, I am not too sure how you would connect it to the xbox as I've never used headphones with a console.

Oct 16, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #9 of 18
Well from firsthand experience on the Xbox 360, nothing comes CLOSE to using Dolby Headphone as far as precise imaging goes-with ANY of my headphones! Must be the difference between the pc and xbox I suppose, and how the audio is integrated I guess. My .02

-Daniel

Oct 16, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #11 of 18
I have a PS3 and an xbox. I use an amp w/optical cord and it does sound much better than out of the tv head jack,or without amp.

ATH-A900>Victor SU-DH1 amp>optical cord>PS3/Xbox.

I have also heard good things about the astro amp too.

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #12 of 18
i pretty much am in the same situation

i own a pair of Ath-ad700 and a ps3

1. and i'm looking for a amp that will, succesfully give me surround sound experience ( do my ath-ad700 soundstage justice )

i'm not really looking in the mixamp because, i never use a microphone and its ... pretty pricy.
 i dont want to Improve the sound quality .. i find the ath-ad700 do a pretty good job alrdy .. im just looking for that direct route ( ps3 to headphones ) 
i cant beleave the only good option out there for doing what i need is the ( mixamp / turtlebeach ).

i looked different thread and .. peaple talk about the fiio E3, E5 or E7 being great *bang for your buck* option

headphone Ath-ad700 > AMP ( fiio ?? ) > optical cord > console ( ps3 )

are there bether option the the fiio for the price .. because DSS EarForce seems still quite pricy 80+ dollars + shipping ( i live in canada )

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #13 of 18

I'm afraid an AMP like Fiio E7 won't provide you any surround sound experience at all, since it lacks the so called technology to provide sorround sound over headphones.

As other members already suggested, you should try the DSS earforce, the Victor SU-DH1 or the Astro's Mixamp, for sourround sound.
Quote:
i pretty much am in the same situation

i own a pair of Ath-ad700 and a ps3

1. and i'm looking for a amp that will, succesfully give me surround sound experience
i'm not really looking in the mixamp because, i never use a microphone and its ... pretty pricy.

i looked different thread and .. peaple talk about the fiio E5 or E7 being great *bang for your buck* option

headphone Ath-ad700 > AMP ( fiio ?? ) > optical cord > console ( ps3 )

are there bether option the the fiio for the price .. because DSS EarForce seems still quite pricy 80+ dollars + shipping ( i live in canada )

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #15 of 18
I'm glad I was able to help. You should wait for other people's comments thou, since I'm kind of new into this stuff and I'm probably not the best one to receive advices from!

By the way, I'm using pretty much the same setup you (will?) use, I have a pair of ATH-AD700's, a Astro Mixamp and a PS3.. The whole combination is pretty good, but since I'm not a FPS hardcore player (the setup I mentioned is top notch for FPS games, providing a lot of "sound accuracy"), I sometimes miss a little bass.. This is the reason why I'll probably include some beyer DT770's on my christmas wish list lol

I also love being able to connect a MP3 player to the Mixamp and listen to a customized soundtrack with any game..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back