Help pick a new headphone for my picky ears. Have listened to quite a few...
Jan 29, 2011 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

nightrhyme

Head-Fier

[size=medium]
Hi Headfi'ers

I have been listening to a set of Grado sr60 for some years now and decided it perhaps was time for something better. I sink most of my money into full rage hifi so I initially didn't want to spend too much on new headphones. I guess that has changed 
rolleyes.gif
 Thought it would be a no-brainer buying something better. Well it seems it really wasn't.

Here follows some info which might help you experts to get a sense of my preferences:
I have listened to a couple of usual suspects.

Sr60, sr80, sr 125 and sr325. Hmm, in my opinon sr60 is actually the best in this group. Of course I can hear how the treble gets more defined, detailed and more refined as you move up the Grado line. But at the same time the balance between bass, midrange and treble goes out the window. IMHO too much treble without more bass. This tiem around I want more bass than what Grado has to offer.

So I listened to Denon AH- D2000 and AH-A100.
The D2000's were IMHO quite recessed and boring sounding. The AH-A100 were actually quite good. Very well balanced. Nice deep firm bass without it being overwhelming, nice midrange and well extended treble. Unfortunately or fortunately I here learned an important lesson. I cant stand closed headphones. I get sort of a pressing feeling in my ear. Hard to explain. Sort of like the way it feels when a plains losses altitude. Bottom line. Closed headphones is not for me.

So I continued my search and listened to Beyerdynamic dt770, dt880, dt990 all 250 ohm. It was all I could get close to.

DT880:  I liked the dt880's the best out of the Beyers. Perhaps because they reminded me most of my old SR60's. Unfortunately because of my new preferences they lacked deep bass in an bad way and i didn't think they offered much more of an airy treble than my old sr60
DT770: Wow the deep bass these cans deliver. Impressive, but way too much. While it was very deep it also felt kind of slow but way too boomy for me. But again this is a closed headphone and I can't stand it 
frown.gif

DT990: Hmm kind of a strange headphone. Sounded to me like a pair of DT880's victimized by a bad equalizer. Excessive treble and bass and a hollow midrange. I didn't like these at all.

So to sum up. I'm looking for an open headphone with a balanced sound. Something like and open version of Denon AH-A100 or a combination of DT880 and DT770.
Hope some of you wise guys can help point me in the right direction.

Any help would be much appreciated 
L3000.gif

[/size]

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #4 of 20
Hmm, if a balanced open sound signature is what you crave then these options should work for you:

AKG K 240 Studio/MKII

Sennheiser HD 600

Both of these headphones have a smooth non-fatiguing sound signature with a little bit of emphasis on the midrange.  They're very neutral and you won't find exaggerated treble with these guys.

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 20
Thanx so much for replies guys 
bigsmile_face.gif
 Was feeling a little lonely 

I will checkout the senn's but why the HD600 and not the HD650's which many here seems to use ? And do they offer more deep bas than the DT880's

Initially the headphones were just meant to be plugged strait into my Xonar dx but as I have learned that cheap headphones doesn't quite seem to cut it I will of course be buying a headamp and dac of sorts if I find a headphone with a sound that I find a worthy improvement. But one thing at a time. First a headphone at max 1000$

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 20
The bass in the HD600 extends deeper than the DT 880's but not by a large margin.  Hmm, I think you'll like the HD650 too(should've recommended those as well, my bad).  I think the reason they seem to have a bigger fan base is because unlike the HD600 these are not engineered to be neutral, but rather to be more about listening enjoyment.  You'll find a deeper, stronger base responce with a smooth, lush sound signature that is very refined. 

Hmm, have you increased your budget to 1000 dollars?

Jan 30, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
Yeah if need be. I have this odd feeling I'n not going to find the sound I'm looking for without spending a little more.. 

Lol.  That's why part of the standard greeting to newcomers is "Sorry about your wallet".  This is an EXPENSIVE hobby.  Seriously speaking though, you may not have to spend as much you think, the HD650 is a headphone that scales VERY well, meaning that the better equipment used with the HD650 the better the sound reproduction and that is one big reason they've been quite popular.  You find that with the right equipment the HD 650 come pretty close to those 1000 dollar flagships.

Jan 30, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #10 of 20
Ultrasone Pro 2500 (open air) might be right.

Its got the DT 880 detail but not the treble. Its a flat treble but more full bodied sound and an amazing bottom end.
Bass is so often done wrong but with these its just so right drums and bass guitar and other bass things just sound so right.
It might be possible for someone to think they are too bassy. I think the bass is only there if it was mixed there these things do great even
with music where bass really plays no part.

Only downfall is long burn in time for these to mature and since out of production stock has been pretty much disappeared.

One of the only places left selling it
http://8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=44461&Category=Monitoring

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
Ultrasone Pro 2500 (open air) might be right.

Its got the DT 880 detail but not the treble. Its a flat treble but more full bodied sound and an amazing bottom end.
Bass is so often done wrong but with these its just so right drums and bass guitar and other bass things just sound so right.
It might be possible for someone to think they are too bassy. I think the bass is only there if it was mixed there these things do great even
with music where bass really plays no part.

Only downfall is long burn in time for these to mature and since out of production stock has been pretty much disappeared.

One of the only places left selling it
http://8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=44461&Category=Monitoring

As I live en Denmark they might be next to impossible to get next to 
redface.gif

I will try to find a place to listen to Sennheiser HD 650. But I'm already concerned if I don't like these either. Where to go from there ?
Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1 ?

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #12 of 20
Fear not!  There are more options you can consider.  In fact here they are! -

Audio-Technica ATH-A900, W1000X, W5000

AKG K 601

Denon AH-D5000, D7000

Shure SRH 840

Ultrasone PRO 900

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #14 of 20
I think amplification needs to be taken into account here. To get good "deep bass" out of higher end cans like DT880 of HD 650 you really need a decent amplifier.

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
As I live en Denmark they might be next to impossible to get next to 
redface.gif

I will try to find a place to listen to Sennheiser HD 650. But I'm already concerned if I don't like these either. Where to go from there ?
Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1 ?

There is European webstores that should sell the Ultrasone Pro 2500.... I would think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back