Help on Choosing a New Pair Of Headphones and DAC AMP combo
Jun 17, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #17 of 45
So blaster z it is!
Now what closed headphone?

I have found some measurements for this sound card:
http://en.goldenears.net/17542

Everything (THD, noise, FR, etc.) seems OK, except that it has a very high output impedance (22 ohms), which might affect your headphone FR, so I would look for something with less than 2 ohms (there is a general rule that headphone / amp impedance ratio should be lower than 1/8). Also I can't find any data on max output power of this card.

Jun 17, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #18 of 45
The problem is that I am sharing a room

If you are sharing a room, the closed headphones would be best. :)
So magni modi is 200 and o2 odac is 240 its only 40 more not 100
And the sound card is 85 bucks

Best bet would be Xonar DX or D1 + the Magni or Objective 2 amp. That way you use the DAC in the Xonar AND the Dolby Headphone surround sound for gaming, and then you have the the killer headphone amp :)

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #21 of 45
OK so how bout the Beyer 770pro 250 ohm for my cans

Those are fairly good cans for just about any use.
Several used ones for sale on eBay,
with used Beyer headphones, you might have to pay around $35 for new ear pads.

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #22 of 45
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=92801&gclid=CjkKEQjwzv-cBRD_oY2PouKVvMIBEiQAKuGNC_O8BnCbcdDCIJcJdt_d_oA8QJTMeUybV_mbahib6eLw_wcB&Q=&is=REG&A=details

180 bucks there

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-PRO-Headband-Headphones-Gray-Studio-Monitor-Pro-Audio-DT770-/400728169712?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item5d4d429cf0

Only 135 on ebay brand new!!!

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #24 of 45
  So what would be the better option the Asus Xonar DX or Creative Sound Blaster Z with the Magni or the Magni with the Modi?

I would think the best audio quality would be a Modi/Magni combo.
(get the Modi optical version)..

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #26 of 45
  What features would i be loosing if i get the Modi over sound card?
And why would i be getting optical over USB
Sorry for all the questions:p

If you used the Modi optical DAC, you would use the features of the motherboard's on-board audio.
USB bypasses the features of the sound card/on-board audio.

I have a preference for Xonar cards, some prefer Creative Labs cards, some people are fine with on-board audio features.

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #27 of 45
USB ignores your built in soundcard, optical will let you output Dolby mixing depending on your motherboard and soundcard. So if you want virtual DSP, you can't do USB. I'd grab a soundcard that has optical out like the Asus Xonar DGX (I own it, haven't tried any others but it's cheap and fits the minimum requirements) and add a amp to it for now, and then you could add on a DAC (optical Modi = great choice) later if you wanted. The DGX comes with Dolby... which some don't like. It's fine IMHO with the third-party UNi drivers.

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #29 of 45
If I were you, I'd get the soundcard -> magni amp -> headphones. That should be the best bang for your buck for a complete system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back