Help needed on buying Shure SRH750DJ from Ebay
Apr 22, 2011 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

blkicy

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, this is my first post, I have been reading alot from this forum and have decided to purchase Shure SRH750DJ on ebay. 

My main purpose for the headphone is to use it at the band rehearsal, where we use Jamhub to avoid upsetting the neighbours, I am using Sennheiser HD202 atm and would like to upgrade. 

The music we play range from Rock to metal to a few pop songs, we're a 3 piece band with guitar, bass and drum. I play guitar and sing lead vocal as well, from the information I've gathers 750 seems to be a nice fit for my need, if any of you are using 750 similar to my situation please let me know your experience with these, suggestions welcome if you think other model suit my situation better. 

So I have been looking on Ebay for a best possible deal and found this (click here) which seems like a great deal but the problem is the price ($89 + $35 shipping to NZ) seems too good to be true? Even the second hand 750 cost more that this brand new set, am I looking at a fake replica? Where do you guys buy your headphone from? I live in NZ and 750 cost about $260USD here so I need some guidance from you guys :wink: 

ps. please excuse my broken English. 

Apr 22, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #2 of 22
Wth?! 260$USD for SRH750s? On amazon it's 150$! The price seems very good actually, and his feedback is good too. It seems like his starting a home business. I would say go for it, but wait for other comments.

On a side note: as much as I love the SRH750, they are by no means neutral. So even if your music genre is metal/rock, something with a bass emphasis, you might want to hear it neutral first, with no coloring added. It's just my thoughts. Maybe the SRH440 or the SRH840 would be more suited.

Apr 22, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 22

Quote:
Wth?! 260$USD for SRH750s? On amazon it's 150$! The price seems very good actually, and his feedback is good too. It seems like his starting a home business. I would say go for it, but wait for other comments.

On a side note: as much as I love the SRH750, they are by no means neutral. So even if your music genre is metal/rock, something with a bass emphasis, you might want to hear it neutral first, with no coloring added. It's just my thoughts. Maybe the SRH440 or the SRH840 would be more suited.

Thanks for your comment, yes I do need it somewhat neutral as it's useful when mixing the tracks.The SRH750 does say it's a monitor headphone on the package I guess that doesn't mean much? 

It looks like the seller is from Hong Kong not too sure if that means anything but the price look very attractive. 

Apr 22, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #4 of 22

Quote:

Thanks for your comment, yes I do need it somewhat neutral as it's useful when mixing the tracks.The SRH750 does say it's a monitor headphone on the package I guess that doesn't mean much? 

It looks like the seller is from Hong Kong not too sure if that means anything but the price look very attractive. 

By norm, we don't trust anything coming from China that isn't made there, but in this case it's fine. A quick search indicated that apparently Shure is moving their workforce to China. An even quicker search - grabbing the box from my own SRH750s - showed that they were indeed made in China. So although they could be real, it's also possible that they aren't, since Hong Kong is where most counterfeits are made. It could be any, really, but since the seller has a good rep at selling headphones, I'd say you're clear.

Never trust what a company says about its own models. I never saw a company admiting to having a mid-fi model, because let's face it, humbleness doesn't sell. They are very good, but I would hardly call them monitor headphones.

Within the Shure line I would advise you to read about the SRH440 and the SRH840, although I haven't tried them (if you make a suggestion you yourself haven't tried on Head-Fi, you get crucified). The SRH440 seems to have a good reputation as a monitor headphone.

Oh, and welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet.

Apr 22, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 22
I was actually seriously considering SRH440 before SRH750, decided on the 750 after reading reviews from this forum where people generally consider 750 to be a much nicer set of headphone. But then the impression was probably based on the listening experience on recorded musics. 

Quote:
By norm, we don't trust anything coming from China that isn't made there, but in this case it's fine. A quick search indicated that apparently Shure is moving their workforce to China. An even quicker search - grabbing the box from my own SRH750s - showed that they were indeed made in China. So although they could be real, it's also possible that they aren't, since Hong Kong is where most counterfeits are made. It could be any, really, but since the seller has a good rep at selling headphones, I'd say you're clear.

Thanks for the tips, I would probably be better off paying few extra bucks and get a genuine set from reputable sellers, would be gutted if I received a fake and not knowing it for years lol. 

Quote:
Within the Shure line I would advise you to read about the SRH440 and the SRH840, although I haven't tried them (if you make a suggestion you yourself haven't tried on Head-Fi, you get crucified). The SRH440 seems to have a good reputation as a monitor headphone.

Not that I know how to read this graph properly but it looks like both 440 and 840 have the same response but the 840 gives out better sound quality?
So you think 440/840 would be better suited as a "monitor" headphone than the 750? 

Thanks for the response by the way, really helpful towards making decision on my purchase 
beerchug.gif

Apr 22, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #6 of 22

Quote:

Not that I know how to read this graph properly but it looks like both 440 and 840 have the same response but the 840 gives out better sound quality?
So you think 440/840 would be better suited as a "monitor" headphone than the 750? 

Thanks for the response by the way, really helpful towards making decision on my purchase 
beerchug.gif

Not really. This just shows you how neutral they are, which is one of the many aspects of how good they sound, but there are more. What you want as a musician is a closest-to-linear-possible graph. These graphs show you how loud a headphone reproduces a certain frequency sound. If the line was straight, and then in the end shot up, you would know it emphasized the highs, which would be a bright sound. The opposite, kind of what you see with the SRH840 and definitely with the SRH750, which is a low-end emphasis, gives you a dark sound.

As you can see the SRH440 is pretty good (for a full-size can, at least), but lacks a bit in the low-end department. We call that a roll-off, an extreme of the frequency spectrum, highs or lows, that the headphone fails to reproduce. The SRH840, on the other hand, are less linear, with a mid-bass hump. Now, if you're playing guitar and singing, what will mostly matter to you are the mids. Not only, but it's where those instruments have their sound concentrated. If you were playing the violin the highs would be very important, if you played bass the lows would, and so on. So for what you want, at least from the graph, the SRH440 are good.

Of course this doesn't tell you how well they reproduce sound, just how loud they reproduce certain frequencies. If not, you could know everything about a headphone from the graph. Actually, IEMs and earpads have more linear graphs, but full-sized headphones usually have better quality, even if they aren't so neutral. That's why I suggested you read about a review or two about them. I read a few about the 440 a while ago as I considered buying them, and they are well regarded.

It's fine mate, I like sharing what little knowledge I have with new-comers. I just wish someone more experienced with these models would post.

Apr 22, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 22
the 750 dj is fragile, mine broke, very creaky and plasticky. keep that in mind. 
also very bassy, if you want neutral look elsewhere, the 440 is probably the most neutral of the shures

Apr 23, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #8 of 22

Quote:
As you can see the SRH440 is pretty good (for a full-size can, at least), but lacks a bit in the low-end department. We call that a roll-off, an extreme of the frequency spectrum, highs or lows, that the headphone fails to reproduce. The SRH840, on the other hand, are less linear, with a mid-bass hump. Now, if you're playing guitar and singing, what will mostly matter to you are the mids. Not only, but it's where those instruments have their sound concentrated. If you were playing the violin the highs would be very important, if you played bass the lows would, and so on. So for what you want, at least from the graph, the SRH440 are good.

Awesome! That is exactly what I needed to know, you just changed my mind, I do need a neutral headphone and 440 looks like a good fit. It's also much cheaper which is great.. keeps my wife happy too lol :wink: 

Quote:
the 750 dj is fragile, mine broke, very creaky and plasticky. keep that in mind. 

also very bassy, if you want neutral look elsewhere, the 440 is probably the most neutral of the shures

How long did the 750 last before it went apart and how do you like the sound? Our bassist is considering a new pair as well and from what I've read, 750 will be a good fit for his needs (he likes his bass deep and loud), I read from somewhere that the 750 construction is magnesium and plastic mixed so I wasn't expecting it would be rugged to some extent. 

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #9 of 22
I'm Shure's biggest fan on head-fi and I personally have a difficult time ever recommending their DJ line. They're uncomfortable to me, not built very well and the sound, as subjective as a thing it may be, just isn't "Shure-like" which is, balanced and true to life especially when compared to the monitors, i.e. SRH240/440/840's. 

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
Sound = great
Build quality and comfort is not the best. The plastic on the adjustable piece on the sides is fragile. 

wouldn't the plastic on the shure srh840/440 be just as fragile. i am always frightened i could break my shure srh840s. and to the op. shure has a really good warranty so getting a replacement shouldn't be very tricky. that is if it breaks which it may or may not depending on use.

edit due to these horror stories i am glad i returned my shure 750s and got the shure srh840.

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #12 of 22
being a dj phone, the 750 squeezes tighter than the 440/840 which puts more strain on the plastic adjusters. this is a common problem with dj phones period, unless you opt for something reinforced with metal- such as an ath-m50

Apr 23, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
being a dj phone, the 750 squeezes tighter than the 440/840 which puts more strain on the plastic adjusters. this is a common problem with dj phones period, unless you opt for something reinforced with metal- such as an ath-m50

Hmm.. here comes another headphone, just research the m50 and it seems to be a great entry level headphone as well.
So out of SRH440 and ATH-M50 which one would you guys pick if you were in my situation? How's the neutral sound state of the m50? 

I do need the built of this purchase to be strong to some extent as I usually carry it in my bag (with wallet/phones/harddisk etc)  to the jam sessions. 

Apr 23, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #14 of 22
the m50 is well loved around here, it seems tough too. I have one
the toughest headphones are the beyer dt770 pro and the german maestro 805. the sony mdr-v6 has a good durability rep as well

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #15 of 22
M50s are not neutral at all, the SRH440s are what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back