Help Needed - Amp for around $300 to drive HE-5LEs
Jun 3, 2011 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

cff82uf

New Head-Fier
Head-Fiers - I need help.  I have read a lot of the posts and I am totally stumpped.  I am looking for an amp for around 300 that can adequately power my HE-5LEs.  

My current rig is amped by a HifiMan EF-2a (with RCA tubes) which I bought before the HE-5LEs.  I am not unhappy with the set-up but I think the headphones can do better and I came across $300 recently and thought it was time to upgrade.

I am interested in upgrading but I know my budget makes it hard for a tube amp (not sure how the SS amps do with the HE-5LEs).  I have read up a bit on the Schiit (Lyr seems to be mentioned a lot but I am also quite curious on the Asgard though I can't seem to find much on it and the HE-5LEs) and they currently lead the list due to price.  I have also looked at SkyLabs reviews of the tube amps and some look good there but I am concerned about the outputs (the AudioTailor Jade is the one that jumps out).   I looked at a few others (virtue audio, HifiMan EF-5, etc.).

My main set up is a Cambridge CD player.  I occasionally use the computer through the EF-2a's DAC but that is not as common.  I would also be open to an old speaker amp (I know that is popular but don't really know where to start) and I am also open to DIY but I would prefer a kit as I have limited experience.

Any information or suggestions are appreciated.

Jun 3, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 3
im not 100% but i think u can score a used hifiman EF5 for alittle over $200. baring that, one can go for a home stereo amp/receiver, be it modern or vintage. i myself drive my 5LE with a vintage sansui amp. u can easily pickup something for as low as $20-50 so go fo fer it.

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 3
thanks scottiebabie - picked up an old H/K 330C this weekend and built up an adapter to run the HE-5LEs from the speaker terminals.  Sound is fantastic, power is amazing, and cost was even better.  Leaves me a good bit of budget for music, other equipment and maybe some mods down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back