Help! Need Advice.
Apr 13, 2013 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

opponentmule2

WARNING! DO NOT TRADE! FEEDBACK IS FROM A DUPLICATE ACCOUNT!
IP Address matches arachon101, Holy8414171
Hello, first time on the forum. I'm looking for some help from all of you expereniced listeners :) 

I'm looking for a pair of good headphones for around 50-300 USD range. I never used any good headphones, mainly just iphone headphones or bad headphones around 20-30 bucks. 

My headphones recently  broke and I'm looking to upgrade towards a very nice pair of headphones. I mainly listen to classical music such as Two Steps From Hell. I use my Iphone 4s to listen to music, or my 2009 Lenovo Laptop. I would like to use them at school and at home if possible, so little leakage would be nice, and if it is portable it'll be nice as well. 

I looked into some Sennheiser headphones and found them to be highly praised? I was looking into a pair of HD 598 as I heard they've a very nice sound and looks great. I'm a little scared because people say they leak quite a bit and the cord is too long? 

Can somehow please advice me on what kind of headphones i should get? I would like a good nice sound quality if that is possible.

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 20
Two Steps From Hell is classical? Really? I think you mean instrumental.

The HD598 isn't for portable use, no open-back headphones are. Try looking at something like the UE6000 or M80.

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 20
Ok. Thank you for the reply and correction. 

I thought they were like modern-classical. But glad to know they're considered instrumentals. 

And is the sound quality of UE6000 or M80 close to a HD598. I mean, I would like to take my headphones to school to use if possible. But if it means sacrificing too much sound quality, then i would rather just buy a pair of nice earbuds for outside of home usage.

I read that the Senns Mommentum is great for both home and outside. But I'm not sure they're justfied for the 320 USD price tag :/

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 20
Hmm MDR-1R. I heard wireless headphones does not have as great of a quality as the wired ones?

Also, if i were to get some Senns. Which ones would you guys suggest for both home and outside usage?

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 20
SoundMAGIC HP100 + FiiO E17 for closed.

AKG Q701 + FiiO E17 for open.

Also, Two Steps from Hell isn't classical
blink.gif

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #8 of 20
Ok. 

Is there any other great looking + sounding options for a non leaking closed back??

I'm very contested between either a closed back or a open back right now.

I really want the great sound that HD 598 can deliver. But being unable to take it to many places is a big drawback :/

Can you guys suggest some more great options for both close back and open back for around 200 USD if possible?

I would like to buy senns if possible since they've really great reviews 

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:
Hmm MDR-1R. I heard wireless headphones does not have as great of a quality as the wired ones?

Also, if i were to get some Senns. Which ones would you guys suggest for both home and outside usage?

Yeah, though it's come a long way. That's the mdr-1rbt. The 1r is cabled.

If senns, probably the momentum. But if you have the mdr-1r for $220-280 I see why not to get it. Unless the plastic housing turns you off, it's still comfortable.

Ok. 

Is there any other great looking + sounding options for a non leaking closed back??

I'm very contested between either a closed back or a open back right now.

I really want the great sound that HD 598 can deliver. But being unable to take it to many places is a big drawback :/

Can you guys suggest some more great options for both close back and open back for around 200 USD if possible?

I would like to buy senns if possible since they've really great reviews 

hd25 1-ii, Beyer Custom One Pro
Open would be ma900. Doesn't need an amp to sound great. 

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 20
HEY!

I suggest you to look into AKG K167! Since you have an iPhone 4S, download the app "Denon Club" and boost down the bass a bit on the K167 as it does get annoying at times other than that, it is forward sounding, detailed and wide soundstage. Details might not be as great as UE4K/K550 but it is still an excellent choice!

Billson :)

Apr 13, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 20
I narrowed the choices down to

[size=1.7em] Audio-Technica ATH-M50[/size]

or 

[size=14.44444465637207px]Shure SRH840[/size]

or

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80

Which one do you think it's the best for money?

P.S. Be mindful that i can get the audio for around 120 USD. Shure for like 170 USD and the DT 770 that's 250 OTM for 180 USD, but IDK how good they'll be without the amp.

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:
I narrowed the choices down to

[size=1.7em] Audio-Technica ATH-M50[/size]

or 

[size=14.44444465637207px]Shure SRH840[/size]

or

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80

Which one do you think it's the best for money?

Look up the AKG Q701 and the SoundMAGIC HP100 (open vs. closed).  All of those that you listed are fairly good in their respective price range (not really fond of the M50, though), but there are better options.  Also, most, if not all headphones in this price range would noticeably improve from an amp/dac like the FiiO E17.

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #13 of 20
I have a preference for the DT770. I owned the M50 for about two days and returned them, didn't care for the sound and found them really uncomfortable on the head. Owned the Shure 440 and felt about the same (didn't try the 840, though). DT770 is quite comfortable and pretty fun sound. Although, I'm guessing your $20-30 headphones never included the Koss PortaPro. Still impressive after all these years for about $35, a little more for the iPhone remote version. It's a classic for good reason.

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #14 of 20
Yea everyone just keep suggesting me to get a pair of SoundMagic HP 100. They must be really good, although i begin to question if it's worth it as you can grab a pair of HD 598 for around 230 USD???

I assume HD 598 will have a lot better sound since it's senns? Not to mention it looks like a piece of art as well. 

Since the M50's are like half the price of a Sound magic almost, it is worth it to buy them for 200?

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:
Yea everyone just keep suggesting me to get a pair of SoundMagic HP 100. They must be really good, although i begin to question if it's worth it as you can grab a pair of HD 598 for around 230 USD???

I assume HD 598 will have a lot better sound since it's senns? Not to mention it looks like a piece of art as well. 

Since the M50's are like half the price of a Sound magic almost, it is worth it to buy them for 200?

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Although you can assume that something will be of quality based on brand name, that doesn't make it better quality than a lesser known brand.  The 598 is open, but it is still overall worse than the HP100.  If you are willing to go open, the AKG Q701 is better than both, especially in soundstage.  I don't like the M50 at all, the midrange is very recessed, the soundstage is tiny, the highs can be harsh, and they aren't very comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back