Help me upgrade my PFE 012!
Apr 6, 2014 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sinnottj

500+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I'm looking for some advice on upgrading my from PFE 012. I use them with the grey filters, so they are actually the same as the PFE 112, and I really like the sound signature in general, I'm just looking for the next step up ...

I'm not a bass head, and I like tight, detailed, natural sounding bass. A bit more sub-bass than the PFEs can deliver would be good, though.

Mids are very important to me, I like both the aggressive mids of Grados and the smooth mids of my Sennheiser HD600s. I don't like recessed mids or an overly V shaped sound.

Highs need to be present & detailed, but don't have to be as forward as with a Grado, though. The HD600 highs are fine.

I listen to a wide range of music from rock ( e.g. Neil Young, Dinosaur Jr, Yo La Tengo, Spoon, The National, Bonnie Prince Billy ), jazz (e.g. Coltrane / Miles / Mingus / The Necks) to electronica ( e.g Autechre / BoC / Orbital / Flying Lotus )

I'm not to bothered about the cable fit (around the ear or straight down) or super isolation as I won't be using these for anything more than sitting at a desk and going for the occasional walk.

I dislike cable noise/microphonics though, and that would be my only real complaint about the PFEs.

I've been considering the Shure SE 315 or SE 425, as they have a great reputation for their mids. However, I'm not sure how much of an upgrade the 315 would be? The the 425 are dual driver, so should be better than the single-driver PFEs, but at £215 ($350) they seem quite expensive. Are they worth it?

Can anyone recommend some alternatives that fit my preferences and would be a clear upgrade over the PFEs?

(Note that I'm ignoring the PFE232 as they are discontinued.)

Thanks!

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 8
  Hi!

I'm looking for some advice on upgrading my from PFE 012. I use them with the grey filters, so they are actually the same as the PFE 112, and I really like the sound signature in general, I'm just looking for the next step up ...

I'm not a bass head, and I like tight, detailed, natural sounding bass. A bit more sub-bass than the PFEs can deliver would be good, though.

Mids are very important to me, I like both the aggressive mids of Grados and the smooth mids of my Sennheiser HD600s. I don't like recessed mids or an overly V shaped sound.

Highs need to be present & detailed, but don't have to be as forward as with a Grado, though. The HD600 highs are fine.

I listen to a wide range of music from rock ( e.g. Neil Young, Dinosaur Jr, Yo La Tengo, Spoon, The National, Bonnie Prince Billy ), jazz (e.g. Coltrane / Miles / Mingus / The Necks) to electronica ( e.g Autechre / BoC / Orbital / Flying Lotus )

I'm not to bothered about the cable fit (around the ear or straight down) or super isolation as I won't be using these for anything more than sitting at a desk and going for the occasional walk.

I dislike cable noise/microphonics though, and that would be my only real complaint about the PFEs.

I've been considering the Shure SE 315 or SE 425, as they have a great reputation for their mids. However, I'm not sure how much of an upgrade the 315 would be? The the 425 are dual driver, so should be better than the single-driver PFEs, but at £215 ($350) they seem quite expensive. Are they worth it?

Can anyone recommend some alternatives that fit my preferences and would be a clear upgrade over the PFEs?

(Note that I'm ignoring the PFE232 as they are discontinued.)

Thanks!

PFE232 is still selling on some us web store and you still can get 2 yrs warranty from the store...i got my pfe232 few months ago and the bass of this iem is really great compare to my w4r..

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 8
  PFE232 is still selling on some us web store and you still can get 2 yrs warranty from the store...i got my pfe232 few months ago and the bass of this iem is really great compare to my w4r..

I'm UK-based and they are pretty hard / expensive to get over here (£400 on Amazon
eek.gif
)

Plus, with Phonak now out of the IEM business, picking up replacement filters / tips will become increasingly difficult ...

Apr 7, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #6 of 8
If you don't mind box opened hifiheadphones have some around £260 or so (or did).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back